Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Driver facing camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been discussed yet. There appears to be an interior camera on the rear view mirror housing.

Not sure what it’s purpose is but I speculate Tesla can pull the recording logs of this camera for review (for example to see what the driver was doing when an accident occurred).

I also think that this camera could be used for video calling (like FaceTime) when self drive is finally figured out.

I tried covering the camera with my finger to see if the car would trigger some kind of alert and nothing happened.

Not sure if the S & X have this camera but I’m assuming they do too.

Any other thoughts on it? Maybe it’s not even a camera lense but it sure looks like one to me.

Yes, the interior camera has been known for quite a while now. Most speculate that it’s primary purpose will be for monitoring passengers when FSD finally becomes a reality and you’re able to loan your Model 3 out as part of the Tesla ride sharing fleet.

It was recently reported that the camera is somewhat active now. Shots from the interior camera are recorded during a collision event along with shots from the exterior cameras.

I do not believe that the S and X have an interior camera (yet).