TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interior - Gray Leather

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by 1ton, Jul 5, 2012.

1. 1ton

1ton Member

Has anyone seen the S with the gray interior? How does it look? My concern with the gray is that the lining in the car (roof) is a tan color. Seems like it would clash. The picture I see on the website looks bad IMO. Thoughts? I wish the light tan was an option without the bigger battery.

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

White (cream) is the Signature color. Tan is available for all. Gray is only available for non-Sig.

All 3 match ok with the head liner. And it turns out most people don't notice the color of their head liner anyhow. (Quiz: what is the color of the liner in your current car? You sure? Go check...)

3. 1ton

1ton Member

Hey Jason, I notice everything. My headliner matches my car now, just fabric instead of leather. I am positive of the color. It is a beige color, my seats are beige leather with black piping. :)

In the picture on the Tesla website the colors seem to clash. First thing I noticed when I selected the gray.

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

5. Warrenbonz

Warrenbonz Member

The headliner is white/cream like the signature interior option not tan :)

6. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Here's a photo of three of the interiors.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7153&d=1340862260&thumb=1.jpg

The grey is on the left, tan in middle with white on right.

As Warren states the white is really cream and it matches the headliner. I agree that neither of these interiors clash with the headliner.

Larry

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I drove the grey leather performance, and I can honestly say that I never noticed the headliner clashing with the seats. It's not that I am oblivious to such things, I just don't think it really seemed to clash enough for me to notice it.

8. jive_devil

jive_devil Member

Same here, although in all honesty I was very focused on the driving experience. On top of that, the car I drove had the panoramic sunroof so there was less headliner to look at.

I also agree with the above poster, in that the color is more off-white than tan.

9. strider

strider Active Member

It's funny, my wife and I really noticed the two-tone in the design studio and talked about how much we hated that look, why had they done it, etc. Then my wife gets into her Jeep with grey leather seats and notices... the pillars and headliner are off-white. We had never noticed after owning the car for 7 years! So if the grey was available sooner we'd go that way and not think twice. As it is we're going black.

10. 1ton

1ton Member

Larry,

When I was at the Dania Beach location, I looked at the leather samples. The tan or beige they had there looked darker than that photo shows and the cream/white didn't look very light either. I wonder if those are not the accurate samples? I hope the test cars they have for the Amped Tour will have various interiors. I have plenty of time to decide. I really really want the cream/white but I can't justify spending the extra money as I'm not trading in my car for this.

11. Tommy

Tommy Member

For those getting the performance Model S, the piping on the grey leather seats matches, to my eye, the headliner/side pillars. The hesitation on my part with the grey and even the tan interior leather trim, is the Design Studio's color depiction does seem to clash with the headliner/side pillars. I have looked at all the color schemes online, and other than the all cream or black interior, none of the choices really gel. After seeing the choices in person, it is apparent, again to my eyes, that reality is in this instance, better than computer generated depictions. Both the grey and tan gel, it's a matter of personal taste IMO.

12. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Yeah, the web colors are really not very accurate. Tan, especially, is way, way off.

13. 1ton

1ton Member

How is it way off? Please tell me it is a lot lighter in person?

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Compare the tan below. I would use words like "more yellowish" and "darker" for the Design Studio version.

Further, I would say the headliner in Design Studio is darker than the cream colored seat in the Test Drive. People at the Test Drive indicated that the headliner is essentially matched to the cream colored seat. This suggests that it's pretty much a "given" that the Test Drive images are darker than the actual vehicle. I'm not sure where the yellowish comes from though.

Design Studio
    TeslaModelSInteriorTan.png

Test Drive
    attachment.php?attachmentid=7153&d=1340862260&thumb=1.jpg

15. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

The web site tan looks practically orange. The leather in person looks much more like a standard sort of moderately tan color, as can be seen in some of the photos from the test drives, like the one above.

16. 1ton

1ton Member

Yes the tan in the website is not very appealing to me. The test drive picture looks a lot better.

17. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

I'm happy that the best looking colors are the one in real life, and to me the most apealing :smile:
    Would have Been a shame if it was colors represented in the design studio (sorry for any miss spelling)

18. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#18 Larry Chanin, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    My photos were taken in sunlight in contrast to a shaded interior.

Here's a photo I took of Steve Jurvetson's tan interior

attachment.php?attachmentid=7154&d=1340862479&thumb=1.jpg

You can see the posts are lighter colored but they do not clash.

Larry

19. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

post=column=pillar? Sorry, am confused.

20. Tommy

Tommy Member

All are terms referring to the vertical structural members located at the windshield, R/L door frames and rear deck area. The windshield structural member will be identified as "A" and subsequent vertical structural members ID'ed "B", "C", "D" depending on door configuration (2-door, 4-door).