Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior, headliner quality issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The grey headliner, it is the worst fabric i have had in a car in a long time. It seems as though there is no protectant on it and it will absorb any bit from hands touching it.

In the light, every little mark shows up.

I have clean hands, touch it, and i can see the faintest marks... They went too cheap on the T3 on many parts, even with a 5k premium interior upgrade option.

I just know in a year, it's going to look little total crap.

Why couldnt they have put on a treated fabric?

I don't mind the look/feel of the fabric headliner at all, but I can definitely second this after handling it a lot yesterday with clean hands while removing trim panels for my dashcam install. Even in my dimly-lit garage, I can see oily hand/finger marks all over it where I handled it...

I don't mind the look/feel of the fabric headliner at all, but I can definitely second this after handling it a lot yesterday with clean hands while removing trim panels for my dashcam install. Even in my dimly-lit garage, I can see oily hand/finger marks all over it where I handled it...
Yah, thats what i mean. i dont mind the look or feel, but it really is a magnet for anything. i have kids and backseat, they touch it and now i see marks.

Not sure why they couldnt have gone black. Just need to wait until it gets too dirty, then have it all rewrapped.

I wonder if it could be sprayed with something. Like maybe the spray on clear water proofing for jackets? Just a thought. This would piss me off too and I'm getting mine really soon.

There are products for that - like scotchguard on steroids. I had my Volt done when I bought it years ago because I had the beige suede interior and knew that was going to be nightmarish to keep clean. I think most detailers offer the service.

+1

Had tint installed and the solution they spray the windows down with so the tint can slide around until they set it in place left behind some faint water lines where the over spray occurred. There isn't a lot of over spray, but what little got on the headliner shows up. This was not an issue on the alcantara when my Model S was done. Also, when the water ran through the rear window grating into the trunk, it left similar stains on the trunk flooring.

I've heard Meguiar's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner will take it out so I have it on order:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBW5XQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not mainly the material, it's the light color. Dark fabric would have been excellent. I had light Alcantara headliner in my previous S and it got very dirty. Never ever a light headliner again independent of material. I actually prefer the black fabric over Alcantara, had a loaner Model S recently with the black fabric. Really nice and completely black. Actually think it has upsides compared to the black Alcantara I have in my car.

Hope they will offer black fabric soon on the Model 3. It is just so much nicer and also gives zero reflections in the front wind screen from the A-pillars.

It's not mainly the material, it's the light color. Dark fabric would have been excellent. I had light Alcantara headliner in my previous S and it got very dirty. Never ever a light headliner again independent of material. I actually prefer the black fabric over Alcantara, had a loaner Model S recently with the black fabric. Really nice and completely black. Actually think it has upsides compared to the black Alcantara I have in my car.

Hope they will offer black fabric soon on the Model 3. It is just so much nicer and also gives zero reflections in the front wind screen from the A-pillars.

I don't know if that's entirely true. I have owned several fairly recent cars with lighter colored headliners and this has never been a problem. I believe most of these materials are chemically treated in order to resist staining... perhaps Tesla opted not to do this out of their choice to offer a "vegan" interior.

My current whip, a 340xi has a slate gray waffle pattern headliner. I have touched it many times getting in and out of the car and it looks just like it did when I took delivery of the car 2.5 years ago.

Damn, Tesla went cost saving by eliminating alcantara. $50k + plus shouldn’t have cheap quality interior material. I wonder what the normal version without PUP would be comparable to Camry or Corolla.
ALCANTERA ON PUP NEEDS TO BE STANDARD! cloth on the 35k model only
Here we go again! This should be fun! :rolleyes: