TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interior leather choice for Carbon Fiber decor?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ETM, Jan 16, 2012.

?

Which leather do you like best with Carbon Fiber Decor?

1. Grey

33.8%
  2. Black

47.9%
  3. Tan

18.3%
  1. ETM

ETM Member

#1 ETM, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    I cant decide which leather would look the best with carbon fiber. I want to make the right choice as CF is the only decor option for the perf. If this changes, I will likely go back to lacewood. I do have a bunch of time, but i would like to figure this out...

Thanks

• Like x 1
  2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm going to stick with black personally.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Black. White isn't practical and I personally don't really like it. I've only had one car with a Tan interior and I wasn't that fond of it.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think the white would look good but am also worried about how it'd hold up from what everyone has said. I've got black leather in the Roadster with minimal CF accents (door sills) and it looks pretty good.
    I'm hoping they offer rally style seats with the performance package. Maybe black leather with Signature Red inserts in the Signature Red car.

5. ETM

ETM Member

I agree. White is way too impractical for me- it would get stained within the first week. I have not seen the grey in person but i am not sure that i will like it. Could the black drown out the CF?

6. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Once the new Design Studio is published, we'll have a much better idea of what it'll look like with the various mixes. I'm hoping the Alcantara can be a different color from the rest of the seats. If so, I'm might go with black bolsters and a tan center seat.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I can attest that this looks great...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3888&d=1326730358.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Black leather just gets too hot. I'd also love to get Rally seats or other color trim. I'd even cough up extra for it. At this point I am leaning towards white - but as I get more worried about keeping it clean, I may get tan.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

True. I think the auto cool function and the mobile app to cool your car down before you walk out to it largely make that less of an issue but it would still be hotter than a lighter color.

10. strider

strider Active Member

I do not like Tan with CF (at least in the Roadster we test drove). I have black in my Roadster now but grey is in contention. I have a 1-yr old so no white.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Again, I've only owned one car with light interior (my Q5). All of our other vehicles have black interior and they certainly don't feel all that much hotter. I'm up in PA though so maybe it's worse in the FL/CA-type climates

12. Dan5

Dan5 Member

It depends on the look that you are going for.

Personally I like the grey since it picks up some of the accents in the carbon fiber

Black and carbon fiber matches, but it may create too dark of an interior (easily fixed by adding the panoramic roof) and the auto cool function should keep in relatively cool. I know on my Firebird in NJ the interior got insanely hot, melted some plastic items I had in the car, but that did not have the auto cooling.

If you want contrasting the tan and carbon fiber. My fear with that is that it will look dated in a few years. What I was told to never mix brown and black, but the current trend is to mix them. When this trend will end, if it does end, would make the car look dated.

Disclaimer: Never take fashion advice from a male engineer

13. goyogi

goyogi Member

Two toned leather would look great. Black and tan/red/white.

14. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I don't know what they'll be offering for the S, but for the Roadster, they offered both 'tan' and 'saddle' (a nice deep reddish brown). I had thought I would end up with saddle with tan inserts. I ended up with black/saddle (I kept the color kit with me for a week playing in various lighting!). Still love it.

15. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I would like Saddle a lot if they offered it on The Model S!

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

+1 on saddle. Why must we jump from "black" to "pale [gray/tan]"? Something in the middle would be superb.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'd also go for saddle if it were avail.

18. M67v

M67v #1 Model S fan

Personally I do not like Carbon Fiber, but if I had to get it, I would get black leather.
    But for me, Multi-Coat Red, Tan leather and Obeche Wood Gloss all the way. Beautiful combo.
    This is more of an OCD attack, but for some reason, I can't stand a Pearl White Model S with Black Leather and Carbon Fiber. I don't like that.

19. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I have carbon & tan. I think it's very attractive. More importantly, my better half agrees!

20. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I also have tan with CF and MC red. Like a Ferrari sedan. I love it.