Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior lighting from Premium Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i got premium lighting and just changed out the footwells to blue lighting tonight with the help of a fellow TMC member.

2015-09-23 19.21.48.jpg
2015-09-23 19.22.08.jpg
2015-09-23 19.25.33.jpg

That's very slick.

Details? Difficulty? Cost?

cost is very cheap...

bought two sets of these...Amazon.com: Cutequeen Trading 2PCS Blue 5050 48SMD 48-SMD LED Panel Dome Light Lamp + T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter (pack of 2): Automotive

got the 5050 48 LED lights for good brightness.

for the back two seats, move seats as far forward and raise the back of the seat so you can get under there. if you have premium lighting you will see the existing light under the seat and you gotta get under there and unplug the connector and simply plug in the new LED light. on my front row, i had a real difficult time prying the light out and had to take out the side panel to get to the light. the side panels near the center console come out easily. there is also a screw near the light that needs to come out in order for you to get your hand behind the console to get to the light. the existing lights are held in by clips and hard to get out by prying it out. at least mine were. some people on the forum have reported easier time popping it out. i then hooked in the LED lights into the existing housing and used double sided tape to adhere it.

cost is very cheap...

bought two sets of these...Amazon.com: Cutequeen Trading 2PCS Blue 5050 48SMD 48-SMD LED Panel Dome Light Lamp + T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter (pack of 2): Automotive

got the 5050 48 LED lights for good brightness.

for the back two seats, move seats as far forward and raise the back of the seat so you can get under there. if you have premium lighting you will see the existing light under the seat and you gotta get under there and unplug the connector and simply plug in the new LED light. on my front row, i had a real difficult time prying the light out and had to take out the side panel to get to the light. the side panels near the center console come out easily. there is also a screw near the light that needs to come out in order for you to get your hand behind the console to get to the light. the existing lights are held in by clips and hard to get out by prying it out. at least mine were. some people on the forum have reported easier time popping it out. i then hooked in the LED lights into the existing housing and used double sided tape to adhere it.

Awesome, thank you. I think I'm going to try this. The premium footwell lighting is a little too... faint for my liking.

I'd be interested in the ambient lighting change too... maybe I'll hold off, and do both at once.

I recently found out that it's controllable based on the brightness of the touchscreen. I could go for blue here too :D assuming it's easy to do.

considering the price of the ambient lighting package when i bought late last year, the quality of the lights is disgusting. i have replaced my trunk lights with LED strips, but why did i need to do this at all?
One problem i have found is that double sided tape, including 3M VHB tape, seems not to stick well or at all to the plastic substrates on this car, including after cleaning the plastic with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
So, watch your installation - it may fall off!! Looks cool otherwise.

considering the price of the ambient lighting package when i bought late last year, the quality of the lights is disgusting. i have replaced my trunk lights with LED strips, but why did i need to do this at all?
One problem i have found is that double sided tape, including 3M VHB tape, seems not to stick well or at all to the plastic substrates on this car, including after cleaning the plastic with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

I ended up using crazy glue to keep the LEDs attached.

I had that problem (LED strips detaching) until I tried 3M Scotch Mount Molding Tape. Haven't had a problem since even with the insane Vegas heat!

considering the price of the ambient lighting package when i bought late last year, the quality of the lights is disgusting.

I agree. I just got a 70D with the premium interior. Although I got in mainly for the power liftgate, I expected better lighting. It is nowhere near as nice as my 14 year-old MB E320, let alone the newer cars with lighting packages.

I also can really not see any benefit of the turning lamps. Can hardly see any light from them, actually.

As to the fog lamps, I have not yet driven in fog. But if they are in fact true "fog" lamps, they should operate independently of the headlamps. The whole idea of fog lamps is that they are meant to be more effective because their beam is aimed downward, whereas a headlamp's beam is more directly into the fog and reflects back off the water droplets, thus failing to illuminate the road. It entirely defeats the purpose of true fog lamps to have the headlamps on while the fog lamps are on. Again, my previous Mercedes Benzes have always worked that way, so it must be allowable under US lighting regs. (Unless they have changed since 2002, I suppose...)

Last edited: