Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Lighting - so confused ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just got a Jan 2015 S60 and has Tech Package with Autopilt. The 'spec' from Tesla is as they print on the CPO sales pages - so says just that.

Came to use trunk in dark last night and find there is a single (useless) LED on the powered tailgate - useless because it's small and dim, and useless because as soon as you lean over ... you block it of course.

Under the rear wings inside the trunk are large holes bioth sides
- the visible silver appears to be adhesive tape (like metallic duct sealing tape) covering holes in the metal work.

So my question is - is this normal? Is this where the trunk lights should be? And if so - why is the liner hole 2-3 times bigger than the hole in the panel? Or should there be plastic mounts here for lights?

For reference the car has puddle lights under each door and lights under the dash - not sure about rear seats.

Can anyone shed light on whether this is something removed by prior owner, normal or abnormal?
Thanks

The trunk lighting is poor but there are many people who have upgraded the lighting. The wires are in place in most cars so it's just a matter of adding the lights.
I did this myself with two surface mount LED arrays and there are several vendors who offer a package of lights and instructions.
Search the forum for "trunk light" and you'll find lots of information.

I used these:
Amazon.com: Cutequeen Trading 2PCS White 3528 36SMD 36-SMD LED Panel Dome Light Lamp + T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter (pack of 2): Automotive
or these:
48 5050 LED Panel | eBay

So my question is - is this normal?

Ya, that is regular alubutyl (not duct tape), purpose made for sound dampening. Normal and good.

Is this where the trunk lights should be?

Nope, but almost. Look a little lower, you'll find a smaller, rectangular indent / pre cut "pop out" in the carpet. This is were the light bulb is mounted by tesla. BTW, behind your carpet you'll find the connectors that go to the bulbs. If you can get some bulbs, eg from AbstractOcean, youre ready to go - plug and play.

And if so - why is the liner hole 2-3 times bigger than the hole in the panel?

I have no clue what these big cut holes are. Fortunately it's "normal" (every car has this), just as all pre-AP2-model-X has this weird monocam in a stereo cam housing. I guess it's a hole for something that never went into production. Because they sure don't have any practical function

There is a kit with higher intensity LEDs to replace the dim stock lights in the trunk, frunk, glove box, foot wells etc. If the owner ordered the car with the premium lighting package, there would be a total of three lights in the trunk, 1 each in the back corners and the one in the tailgate. Non premium equiped cars have just the tailgate light but the wiring is there for the other two lights. Further more, there trunk liner will be imprinted where the two lights should go.

EVanex or Abstract Ocean will have LED kits to upgrade the intensity and instructions on how to find the wiring. It is an easy upgrade to install and reasonably priced. Makes a big difference. I have no idea why the hole as depicted in your snap is so big.

So just got a Jan 2015 S60 and has Tech Package with Autopilt. The 'spec' from Tesla is as they print on the CPO sales pages - so says just that.

Came to use trunk in dark last night and find there is a single (useless) LED on the powered tailgate - useless because it's small and dim, and useless because as soon as you lean over ... you block it of course.

You might want to consider (as many of us have) the much brighter interior LED lights from Abstract Ocean. There's a (um, probably overly long) thread on it here:

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

They're basically pop-in replacements for (some of) the feeble OEM interior lights, available in both white and red. My personal opinion is that this is what the OEM lights should have looked like to begin with.

Under the rear wings inside the trunk are large holes bioth sides - the visible silver appears to be adhesive tape (like metallic duct sealing tape) covering holes in the metal work.

So my question is - is this normal? Is this where the trunk lights should be? And if so - why is the liner hole 2-3 times bigger than the hole in the panel? Or should there be plastic mounts here for lights?

For reference the car has puddle lights under each door and lights under the dash - not sure about rear seats.

Can anyone shed light on whether this is something removed by prior owner, normal or abnormal?
Thanks

I'm staring at your picture and I can't figure out where in the trunk this is.

However, on cars with premium lighting (I think that's what it was called in early 2015), there would be two lights on the rear wall of the trunk, one on each side of the lift gate, shining inwards towards the front of the car. It turns out that even Model S configurations without premium lighting have all the wiring for the extra two lights, and with a little bit of work you add those two lights (either the OEM lights or the AO lights). The AO Web site has a good description of where the additional trunk lights go; I am not sure where the holes in your photo relate to those locations. (Note that with the AO bulbs and a little work, you can approximate a fair part of the premium lighting package.)

No connection with AO except as a satisfied customer. (OK, well, with one exception: my son suggested that AO make the red lights.)

Bruce.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Put the AO lights everywhere. Totally worth it
Yep, getting that sense - but I'm working my way through the 2-5K of budgeted and unbudgeted corrections - some big (consoles, paint protection, tint) and some smaller (mats, lights). I'll circle back to improving the cosmetics - which I think puddle lights at the back might be - once the rest of the house (car) is in order.

Again thanks for the info. This place is a great resource with really helpful people (even when we are going over well trodden ground I know).

I suggest that you contact 'Pete", at Abstract Ocean. He can help you in the info you are asking about, in order to painlessly add the superior OEM lighting units. Truly plug and play.
Pete has the units and the brackets to add the lights under the seats, the puddle lights for all four doors, the red safety lights, the glove box, frunk and trunk. -17- units, in all.
These lighting units do not run hot, in spite of the fact that they are twice as bright and the lights are identical in looks and fit. I have had mine since this spring and have received bunches of complements.
We also added L.E.D. strip lights under the parcel shelf brackets. This way nothing gets lost the the trunk.
While there, look up the license plate light bulbs, well worth it since this is a Hi-Tech car.
STORE - Page 2 - Abstract Ocean

I suggest that you contact 'Pete", at Abstract Ocean. He can help you in the info you are asking about, in order to painlessly add the superior OEM lighting units. Truly plug and play.
Pete has the units and the brackets to add the lights under the seats, the puddle lights for all four doors, the red safety lights, the glove box, frunk and trunk. -17- units, in all.
These lighting units do not run hot, in spite of the fact that they are twice as bright and the lights are identical in looks and fit. I have had mine since this spring and have received bunches of complements.
We also added L.E.D. strip lights under the parcel shelf brackets. This way nothing gets lost the the trunk.
While there, look up the license plate light bulbs, well worth it since this is a Hi-Tech car.
STORE - Page 2 - Abstract Ocean

Has anyone tried using the red bulbs in other locations? The color temperature of the white LEDs are too much on the cool side for me. I prefer something warmer, especially in the footwells.

Has anyone tried using the red bulbs in other locations? The color temperature of the white LEDs are too much on the cool side for me. I prefer something warmer, especially in the footwells.

You should maybe ask this question in the original thread that discusses the AO lights (link is upthread in one of my earlier posts). I seem to recall that someone was asking about this, but they didn't actually try it (or post pictures). I always thought if you were going for the "submarine at battle stations" look, that'd be the way to go. :)

Bruce.

Great question. If you're a «night rider» you would want plenty of red dome lighting. If I had the time and the bulbs available, I would have tried the red bulbs in the footwells, under the seats and in the glove compartment. Then I'd like to see a (less plug and play) replacement of the headliner lights with some red bulbs. How cool would that be!