Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Lights Won’t Turn Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is making me crazy! We picked up our new long range model X last Monday (Model Year 2023) after 400 days since our order date. I truly couldn’t be happier with the overall design (blue w/black interior), LOVE the interior. Unfortunately, we had to go on an emergency trip the day after picking up the car because my father got admitted to the hospital in St. Louis, we are in the Chicago area. The car drove wonderfully and was even happier the more I drove the car.

We had/have one problem with the rear passenger gullwing door not wanting to open On the way down. The same thing happened after picking up our 2017 model X. We were told that the adhesive that was used to stick the ultrasonic sensor to the inside of the door didn’t adhere properly. Service put a strong adhesive on it and in the 5 years we owned her it never had another issue.

Sorry, I digressed a bit. Well, we just got back from St. Louis tonight and we can’t get the interior dome lights to turn off. I went into the UI, into lights and turned the dome lights to off, nothing. When the doors on the car are open the dome lights go off. The problem is as soon as you exit the car and shut the doors the dome lights come back on And stay on. Lock the doors, the mirrors fold and the dome lights still stay on. I have tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to get the dome lights off after exiting and shutting the doors.

I want to be clear……This issue with the lights staying on didn’t happen for the entire trip down to St. Louis and back. They turned off every time we exited the car and it locked,

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next? Am I missing something super obvious?

Sorry for the long post……..Thanks in advance for any help.

Take Care,

Bill

One thing that my wife just reminded me about……..We carry our double yellow headed Amazon Parrot everywhere we go. He is the main reason we bought the X as it makes loading his cage into the back seat much easier with the gull-wing doors. In about the last hour or so of the trip back home from St. Louis tonight, I used the mic button on the steering wheel and requested the dome lights on. Trying to make sure our bird was okay In the back seat. This was the first time I believe we turned them on. So, even more of a bizarre coincidence that after requesting them to turn on with the steering wheel mic they now won’t turn off?

One thing that my wife just reminded me about……..We carry our double yellow headed Amazon Parrot everywhere we go. He is the main reason we bought the X as it makes loading his cage into the back seat much easier with the gull-wing doors. In about the last hour or so of the trip back home from St. Louis tonight, I used the mic button on the steering wheel and requested the dome lights on. Trying to make sure our bird was okay In the back seat. This was the first time I believe we turned them on. So, even more of a bizarre coincidence that after requesting them to turn on with the steering wheel mic they now won’t turn off?
So you can't turn them off via the menu? Also you should be able to manually touch them. I think I've done that in the past and they stayed on.

4HkXW3x.jpg

Via online manual (which is available in your car too). Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay in mine back to you……..I put them on auto and the lights were still on 6 hours later. I wonder if the fact that the battery was down to 32 miles when I pulled in had anything to do with it? The lights were off when I went out the next day, about 15 hrs later. Like I said, I went out to see if the lights were off every hour and they were still on until my last check 6 hours after parking. Haven’t driven the car since then but will drive tomorrow and see what happens.

I've got the same issue with my 2014 Model S 85. Since returning to my car a few days ago after returning from vacation, I cannot get my rear dome lights to turn off no matter what I do (touching/pressing them, turning all dome lights off in system settings, locking the car and walking away... Etc).

I'm curious what will happen if I opt to not get it fixed at the SC (my SC already said it's not something they can fix remotely or via mobile service). Would my 12v die eventually?

I've got the same issue with my 2014 Model S 85. Since returning to my car a few days ago after returning from vacation, I cannot get my rear dome lights to turn off no matter what I do (touching/pressing them, turning all dome lights off in system settings, locking the car and walking away... Etc).

I'm curious what will happen if I opt to not get it fixed at the SC (my SC already said it's not something they can fix remotely or via mobile service). Would my 12v die eventually?
FYI you are in the Model X subforum and your car is a Model S so not everything to read will apply.

Off the top of my head:
- You didn't list the two (four for IC too?) reboot to see it it mattered???
- Does the 2014 have the ability to change the tire??
Reference: Reboot instructions for your Tesla

If those fail I'd disconnect one of the 12v wires for 5 minutes. As well the first responder loop but not sure where it is on the S. (1-neg 12v, 2-1st resp, 3-5 min, 4-1st resp, 5-neg 12v)

FYI you are in the Model X subforum and your car is a Model S so not everything to read will apply.

Off the top of my head:
- You didn't list the two (four for IC too?) reboot to see it it mattered???
- Does the 2014 have the ability to change the tire??
Reference: Reboot instructions for your Tesla

If those fail I'd disconnect one of the 12v wires for 5 minutes. As well the first responder loop but not sure where it is on the S. (1-neg 12v, 2-1st resp, 3-5 min, 4-1st resp, 5-neg 12v)
I've just tried the reboots (1-4, in the guide you linked to) and none helped with my issue.

I've accessed the breaker box before when I had issues with my MCU, so I'd be willing to try that if I knew which one to unplug for the dome lights. Any ideas?

I found this online, but don't see dome lights listed (unless it means dome lights when it says "vanity lights") - Fuse Box Diagram Tesla Model S (2013-2016)

I found the 2014 model s wiring diagrams and schema online, and it shows the "interior and exterior lights" as being in the very front fusebox (only accessible by removing the whole frunk enclosure which looks really annoying on YouTube). I asked my SC to confirm which fuse but they wouldn't help me, lol.
Screenshot_2023-01-07-12-20-28-83_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg