Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior noise level question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see your point.. my ibiza is rattle-free .. the noise level is high, but it doesn't squeak and having a car that squeak at double the price.. it could be uncomfortable, but really.. the car that i test-drove didn't rattle, it has to be seen if the actual model s has the same problem

Reactions: Jayc
Every generation and iteration of specific vechicles should get better. A lot of the fit, finish, and interior detail is somethign that Tesla just has to learn to do better. It is somethign that the other auto makers have been doing for decades so they have all of that institutional knowledge to draw upon. Tesla doesn't have that yet, but I'm sure they're learning and incorporating better practices as frequently as they can.

Yes, a $35,000 car should be pretty darn quiet, and I'd expect the M3 to do a better job of it than even a MS or MX of a year or so ago. I'm also willing to accept a bet more noise than maybe a comparably priced competitor just to be an early adoptor and to have a nice fully BEV, that also looks good.

I see your point.. my ibiza is rattle-free .. the noise level is high, but it doesn't squeak and having a car that squeak at double the price.. it could be uncomfortable, but really.. the car that i test-drove didn't rattle, it has to be seen if the actual model s has the same problem

End grain rubbing makes creaking happen in wooden boats. Cutting the stringers short where they meet at the stem solves this. Wonder if there is a way to be really deliberate about where things touch in auto design?

Especially in cars targeted for high efficiency, lightweight material used in dashboards and fittings are notorious for vibrations, rattles and squeaks. Thermal expansion, general wear & age related deformation means a new car might be rattle free in its first few months but it can still go on to develop severe rattles. Due to temperature effects, some of these rattles can become difficult to fix as the noise will vary with each day making it difficult to reproduce and locate trouble spots.

Road and wind related noise differ slightly in that it could almost be considered as a characteristic of the car itself. One could have layers and layers of sound deadening stuck to the car but it comes with a weight penalty so there will always be a compromise. I just hope Tesla puts some engineering effort to improve these aspects.

It is hard to change the acoustic profile of a French horn without changing a shape characteristic. Horn amplification happens all over cars. If you really want to gap the field on interior noise, the car has to look (be geometrically) different.

Although the rear window and the shelf below have a chance to act as a "one side soft acoustic trap," if the shelf absorbs everything that hits it. A soft dash has the same effect on the other end of an aerodynamic car like the 3. A hard dash is one reason for Honda Fits being atrociously noisy.

If the 3 has a hard dash, and correlated high interior noise levels, I am out.

It is hard to change the acoustic profile of a French horn without changing a shape characteristic. Horn amplification happens all over cars. If you really want to gap the field on interior noise, the car has to look (be geometrically) different.

Although the rear window and the shelf below have a chance to act as a "one side soft acoustic trap," if the shelf absorbs everything that hits it. A soft dash has the same effect on the other end of an aerodynamic car like the 3. A hard dash is one reason for Honda Fits being atrociously noisy.

If the 3 has a hard dash, and correlated high interior noise levels, I am out.

many car manufacturers "cheat" these days.

My Audi A3 has active noise-cancelling. Basically the infotainment system (as long as it's on) is constantly putting out "white noise".

Best way to test if your car has it:

Park somewhere quiet
Turn the engine off (I'm assuming ICE, here)
Put your volume on 0 or 1...not enough to hear music, but enough to know it's on.
If your OEM has it installed, you should hear the faint hiss of white noise. Turn your system on and off a few times to compare.

Can anyone confirm if Tesla is piping in white noise in S or X, or do they just not bother?

Even if they didn't MEAN it...it does have the effect of cancelling out some of the exterior noise.

So they aren't cancelling the noise so much as covering it up and slapping a fancy name on it? Sounds typical for a big auto marketing department.

I'm going to market a device called the active pain suppresion management system, essentially it looks a lot like a typical hammer and when something happens to you that casues pain, you stub your toe, get a splinter, maybe even a root canal, you take the hammer ... err I mean the active pain suppression management system, and whack yourself in another body part as hard as you can - you'll immediately forget about the initial source of pain.

Addition of insulation to combat wind noise increases the weight of the vehicle. Additional weight increases the amount of energy required for driving therefore reducing range. You can reduce road noise with a softer suspension which adversely effects handling.

The example of the Cadillac Escalade above is a good example. Nobody buys an Escalade expecting good fuel economy. An Escalade is a truck that weighs in at over 5500 lbs without a battery pack (needed in a BEV). With an Escalade you get luxury, cargo carrying, and range (from a large fuel tank). You don't get a low price or high-performance. If we expect performance, high range, lower cost and luxury at the same time from an electric vehicle, we need to wait for much higher density battery packs. Or, be prepared to give up on having performance, range, low cost and luxury at the same time.

I have a 2008 VW Passat that has a realistic highway range of close to 700 mi on a tank of gas. It isn't the quietest car in the world, but it handles beautifully and the turbo-charged 2l engine is plenty powerful for the 3000 lb vehicle. If VW would have made the car even more luxurious with less range I probably wouldn't have cared that much (I wouldn't want to give up the performance and handling though). I would not be willing to make that sacrifice if the range was only 250 miles to start with.

So, I guess we all have to decide the tradeoffs we are willing to make. I, for one, am perfectly willing to give up some luxury to get performance and a more environmentally friendly electric vehicle.

... for one, am perfectly willing to give up some luxury to get performance and a more environmentally friendly electric vehicle.

Empirically, a quiet conversational space improves vehicle occupancy. 62 dB gets you from one to two. 53 dB gets you from two to four. Almost half an order of magnitude improvement in environmental friendliness.

Have you considered an electric motorcycle? :)

Were there any MS/X owners at the first Reveal who took test drives in the M3, that can comment on how those cars compared? I understand that a quick spin around the block may not be the best test environment, but did anything stand out?