Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'm strongly considering the Model Y long range as my next car which is a family car (i need space, battery range and tech). I'm a little concerned about two things that I'd like to get your opinion:

1- noise and rumble. I've heard a lot of complains about parasite noises and rumbling with Teslas. Is this standard or will the brand fix it? In other words, will they "that's normal"? I would hate that...

2- a lot of people say the car sees the world through the cameras and sometimes it just hits the breaks without any reason and it does this often. This is actually pretty dangerous but I'd like to know if this is still an issue.

Thanks!

Regarding question #1, you should test drive or rent the car for a day so you can judge the car yourself. Drive over a variety of road types such as city streets, highway. Drive common routes too. Test drive the same setup you plan to purchase & the same wheel size too 19 or 20 inch wheels) as wheel sizes play a factor in cabin noise. Try to test drive a car which has more than 4,000 miles. Why? This gives tires a chance to break in so you can judge road noise transmission into cabin better. I have a 2022 model y performance and today my wife said my car was much quieter than her 2010 Prius 🤷‍♂️ If that helps. My previous car was a 2013 Chevy volt.
When I first got my car, the trunk made lots of high pitch snare drum like sounds when I went over moderate bumps and the car made a slight low pitched booming sound going over jarring bumps in the road. My ears could feel pressure like I was going up and down in an airplane or steep mountain. It turned out my trunk was not properly aligned (it had panel gaps Tesla deemed out of specification) and also the adjustable stoppers on trunk were not set to correct height. After car came back from body shop, the snare drum sounds vanishes, my ears no longer feel pressure as if ascending & descending. The low pitched bass boom sound rarely happens, take a pretty nasty pothole.

2. I have not experienced the car slamming on the brakes when advanced features such as autopilot are turned off. When I have autopilot on and auto steer on sometimes when tesla senses that the car in front of me is slowing down the tesla will slowdown not as smoothly as a human but usually it slows down nicely. So far once, my youngest daughter asked if I could slow down more smoothly since she tends to get motion sickness more easily if she eats a large meal. She was impressed that the car had been doing the driving for the previous 40 minutes. It is not hard to override the car’s actions when autopilot is active.
I have never experienced a case where Tesla car slammed on the brakes in a manner to cause tire screeching or burning brake smells like when a human gets confused and hits the brakes instead of acceleration on a freeway (that happens to people).
if you are really concerned, just don’t use autopilot and disable other safety features which could cause the car to brake. Tesla gui allows this.

1- noise and rumble. I've heard a lot of complains about parasite noises and rumbling with Teslas. Is this standard or will the brand fix it? In other words, will they "that's normal"? I would hate that...

2- a lot of people say the car sees the world through the cameras and sometimes it just hits the breaks without any reason and it does this often. This is actually pretty dangerous but I'd like to know if this is still an issue.

Thanks!
I just finished a 1,200 round trip drive from the San Francisco Bay Area to Vancouver, Washington. It was windy and wet with temps around 55.

The car is a joy on a long drive. Set the destination and let the car "tell" you where to SuperCharge. It takes you to the "next" charge. Easy and relaxing. I am not tired after the drive, my body isn't stiff and the ride is very quiet.

My car is a 2021 April build. (not one single issue in 14,000 miles).

As for your questions:

#1: My car is very quiet inside - no rumbles, squeaks or rattles.
#2: I have not experienced any unexpected braking incidents. The car has slowed down twice where I wouldn't - once at a diagonal RR crossing and the second time was going under a freeway bridge that cast a heavy afternoon shadow. Both times the car beeped first to alert me, so, I knew it was going to react. I have confidence in it's freeway ability - but - I turn off the autopilot in situations where I would rather be in control - lots of trucks and around overly aggressive drivers.

Bottom line, for me, I would buy another in a heartbeat. I'm a gearhead and am surprised how much I love this car. I attached a picture of my '64 Galaxie I built as an FYI

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3829 2.jpeg
    IMG_3829 2.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: justBrowsing
You're going to hear complaints much more than compliments about any car because those who have "problems" post 99% more than those who have no "problems". Many times it's a matter of perception.

I had a barely perceptible rattle in the passenger door that went away on it's own. I have never experienced harsh braking at all.