Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior of driver's side mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Klaus

Apr 20, 2013
How did I get the front cap off? Ask the deer that happened to be in the middle of I-280 south last night when we came home from a show in S.F. Could have been worse ... A deep gouge in the plastic side part of the front bumper and a broken mirror. The mirror mount doesn't have a scratch.

You can see the antenna - a Mylar type flexible strip on the side. Has some small holes in it, probably from the assembly being ripped apart.

There is glass debris on the side window from the mirror glass getting slapped onto it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 653
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 534
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 515
Do you know what the antenna is useful for?

According to http://teslatap.com/undocumented/

• AM Radio – in passenger side mirror
  • Bluetooth – Maybe base of 17″ display?
  • Data/3G – in both side mirrors or maybe hatch
  • FM Radio – in both side mirrors and rear hatch glass (likely a diversity design to pick the strongest signal between the three antennas)
  • GPS – top of back hatch glass
  • Homelink – Unknown location, likely front of car
  • TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor Service) – near bottom front of AC propulsion motor
  • WiFi – Unknown (not yet active)
  • XM Satellite – top of back hatch glass

I get deers by my home all the time. How did yours fare after the hit?

The deer or the car? :smile:

I think the deer lost its footing, it brushed lightly along the side of the car but there were some minor scratches at the left rear, so it must have swung around.

Since it was in the middle of an interstate and middle of the night, and I had no driver's side rear view mirror, I wasn't about to go back and check on it. I called CHP and they sent a patrol car to the area.

As for the car, it's at Chilton's Body Shop in St. Carlos right now and waiting for insurance approval to start work. The headlight is pushed up a tad and may need new mounting brackets. New front bumper apron. Minor work on the fender. New mirror. New driver's side window. Paint.

All in all not bad. As I said I'm fully aware it could have been much worse.