Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior pic request - gray w/ Next Gen seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Close to pulling the trigger on a Deep Blue 60D (have seen VERY few pictures of the exterior facelift in this color so far, but looked great in person when I saw one at a Tesla Store), but I'm having a very tough time deciding between the black and grey interior. Trim will be Obeche Matte, headliner will be black.

I typically buy vehicles with black interiors, but the lack of contrast in the Model S makes the doors look pretty dull. The store had no vehicles with grey interiors, so I've been trying to judge by looking at pictures. It looks great in certain lighting (and contrasts nicely with the Obeche Matte), but I don't know if it would look too much like an exam table at a doctor's office in real life. Can anyone post high-res grey interior pics? The ones below are the best I could:

GreyLeatherMatteObeche2LeftOfSteeringWheel.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Close to pulling the trigger on a Deep Blue 60D (have seen VERY few pictures of the exterior facelift in this color so far, but looked great in person when I saw one at a Tesla Store), but I'm having a very tough time deciding between the black and grey interior. Trim will be Obeche Matte, headliner will be black.

I typically buy vehicles with black interiors, but the lack of contrast in the Model S makes the doors look pretty dull. The store had no vehicles with grey interiors, so I've been trying to judge by looking at pictures. It looks great in certain lighting (and contrasts nicely with the Obeche Matte), but I don't know if it would look too much like an exam table at a doctor's office in real life. Can anyone post high-res grey interior pics? The ones below are the best I could:

GreyLeatherMatteObeche2LeftOfSteeringWheel.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Just saw that grey next gen plus black headliner combo with Pearl white exterior at the Atlanta Tesla Lenox Mall. It is sweeet. If I could redo, that combo gives it a sportier/futuristic feel than the all-black interior I ordered since I have a toddler.

I'll try to take photos if I swing by there this weekend. Feel free to use the $1000 referral code below if you don't already have one: Referral | Tesla Motors

hi @turbospecc

you can find pictures I posted previously of my deep blue 70D w/grey next gen in this thread:
Photos: Grey Next Gen seats + Carbon Fiber + Black Alcantara + Premium Front Console

I have a pre-refresh Model S, but anyhow make sure to also scroll to 2nd page of the thread for exterior pics showing the deep blue w/ grey interior. if you want to see some of the higher res original files, just ask, I don't recall what rez I posted.

IMO the all-black interior is too dark and uninteresting - I just sat in a red w/black headliner+black next gen at the local store the other day (and I say this as someone whose last car was all black leather) whereas the grey gives a nice contrast and somehow just opens up the feel of the interior. It does go really well with the deep blue exterior, I don't think you'll be disappointed with that combo.

feel free to ask me if you need a referral code for $1000 off when you're ready to order :)

Reactions: TJ&TheBeast
hi @turbospecc

you can find pictures I posted previously of my deep blue 70D w/grey next gen in this thread:
Photos: Grey Next Gen seats + Carbon Fiber + Black Alcantara + Premium Front Console

I have a pre-refresh Model S, but anyhow make sure to also scroll to 2nd page of the thread for exterior pics showing the deep blue w/ grey interior. if you want to see some of the higher res original files, just ask, I don't recall what rez I posted.

IMO the all-black interior is too dark and uninteresting - I just sat in a red w/black headliner+black next gen at the local store the other day (and I say this as someone whose last car was all black leather) whereas the grey gives a nice contrast and somehow just opens up the feel of the interior. It does go really well with the deep blue exterior, I don't think you'll be disappointed with that combo.

feel free to ask me if you need a referral code for $1000 off when you're ready to order :)

Love it!

I'll skip the pictures since I doubt I can do better than the ones already posted, but I'll add my voice as an owner of the gray interior with black headliner (although with gloss obeche trim and titanium paint). Like you, I wasn't able to see the gray in person and chose it based only on photos. I was completely happy to have done so when I finally saw mine, and continue to be glad I have the gray. As mentioned upthread, it's a more modern, less closed-in look.

For those with grey leather for a few years now, have your seat turned color? If not, what do you use to keep your light color leather seats clean?

We have a Lexus with tan leather and the driver seat definitely shows a darker color from clothing like jeans.

I ordered the gray interior w/ a red exterior (silver 21" turbines) and I was having second thoughts about switching to a black interior until I saw these pictures. Thanks! The contrast is really attractive and reminded me that the all-black interior is just too sporty for what I'm going for.

For those with grey leather for a few years now, have your seat turned color? If not, what do you use to keep your light color leather seats clean?

We have a Lexus with tan leather and the driver seat definitely shows a darker color from clothing like jeans.
I've had my gray next gens for a year and a half now. No wear or discoloration, even with two kids riding in the back regularly.

As for cleaning, I use good ol' fashioned water on a microfiber cloth. It really is magical.

Reactions: TJ&TheBeast
D'oh - I was about 1000 feet away from that mall earlier this week on a trip! Photos would be great, and I'll keep your code in mind. Thanks

Was at the Lenox showroom yesterday. They went back to featuring the Model X in place of where they had the white Model S with grey leather / black headliner combo. They must have sold that one quick!

Sorry, no pics possible. :(

Thanks for checking! I think I'm been convinced to do the grey/black combo, now just trying to decide on Deep Blue vs Red paint.

Since you seem to be a guy that likes cars with some "color" or "interest" in terms of exteriors and interiors (as am I), I'd recommend the blue exterior (esp with the gray). I think the new blue is a better shade of blue than the multi-coat red is as a shade of red. Now, I might end up with the MC red as I am shopping CPOs and the new blue was only introduced last year, but if I had my druthers it would be the new blue all the way. If MC red were a classic bright red, I MIGHT be swayed over to it. In order of preference I'd go with Deep Sea Blue, MC Red, Pearl White.

As an aside, if you went with the MC red...I'd switch to the tan interior. Dang first world problems!

Reactions: turbospecc
I have gray/black/carbon interior, with midnight silver exterior.

Love the contrast! Do it!
Black interiors, to me, are claustrophobic.

As for seats turning blue... my MS is new, so nothing yet. However, I've had light leather seats in my previous car, and blue is inevitable if you wear jeans often (as I do). It's very manageable though, once a year you either have your car detailed, or clean your leather with a decent leather cleaner. Thats about it. Blue dye comes off easily enough. And this is coming from a guy who is all about low maintenence.

BTW, Blue dye transfers to black interiors as well, you just cannot see it. Now imagine your girl getting in wearing her skin tight white dress. Makes you wish you cleaned your seats periodically, no?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear
I would go MS metallic blue over either red. The Tesla blue is very much like the Interlagos Blue on my M5. It's like having a 3 color car. In bright sunlight, the blue is bright Caribbean water on a clear day. In slight shade, it's a deep dangerously rich blue. At night, it reflects objects like a black tinted mirror.

image.jpeg

Reactions: turbospecc
Thanks for checking! I think I'm been convinced to do the grey/black combo, now just trying to decide on Deep Blue vs Red paint.
Hi @turbospecc speaking of deep blue vs red, here's another photo of my blue 70D beside a red 90D my friend took for a test drive a while back. It was a bit of a dreary day around dusk so not the best lighting but maybe give you a bit of an idea side by side, see: Model S Nature Pictures
I think I might have a couple other pics from that day, if I get a chance to look for them I'll post them...

I would go MS metallic blue over either red. The Tesla blue is very much like the Interlagos Blue on my M5. It's like having a 3 color car. In bright sunlight, the blue is bright Caribbean water on a clear day. In slight shade, it's a deep dangerously rich blue. At night, it reflects objects like a black tinted mirror.

View attachment 182076

It is a great color! The MS is replacing my 4-series Gran Coupe, which has probably my favorite automotive paint color ever - Estoril Blue.

4GC%20lead%20image_zpsz4rknr5i.jpg

4gc-fs-104_zps2oekeosa.jpg