Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior sun shade versus film?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all,

I've done some strange stuff in my day. I ended up with a big roll of reflective two-layer closed cell padding that I used to make exterior sun shades that reduce my Jeep's internal temperature in the summer by about 10 degrees relative to using one inside the windshield. Makes sense if you think about it: preventing the IR from getting inside in the first place is better than trying to reflect it back out the window. Greenhouse effect works!

Anyway, I look at devices like the sun shades that attach internally, and I wonder if that isn't basically the same thing. Is there a reason people don't favor instead something like the Llumar IRX films to reflect heat before it gets into the glass?

I have Xpel ceramic tint (Prime XR Plus) on all my glass except for the front windshield and I also have the Tesla roof sunshade.

There are three reasons why the reflective padding you described would not work for me:

First, you can't drive around with the reflective padding on any of the windows except for the roof. Ceramic tint helps to reduce heat while you are in the car. This is especially helpful during long road trips. Once I had my ceramic tint installed, I definitely noticed the AC kicking in less often to cool the car.

Second, I like to be able to remove the roof sunshade easily and quickly during the winter months so I can enjoy the panoramic view out of the glass. The Tesla roof shade is designed to be secured in place while driving and to be easily removed without damaging any of the roof materials.

Third, I wanted the ceramic tint not just to reduce heat but also to reduce UV rays from penetrating into the interior and causing damage. Of all the windows, the side windows have lower UV rejecting properties from the factory. So if keeping out UV rays from the interior is important to you, then getting a good quality ceramic tint on the side windows is a must.

Go with both, tint will help with both driving and while the car is parked. I personally noticed a big difference with ceramic tint on my car (Suntek CIR), on all windows (including windshield) except the roof glass on top of the front seats.

You can use a sunshade and tint as well, I have been doing that for months and I haven't noticed any problems with it.

There are three reasons why the reflective padding you described would not work for me:

I can see how what I was saying might have been confusing. I wasn't saying that I was trying to compare that reflective bubble wrap with something. Just that controlling temperature before it gets inside the car is more effective than trying to control it after it's already inside.

Just interested in film versus those internal sunshades, and really whether internal sunshades are particularly effective at keeping internal temps down? Especially if there has been any testing done.

Just interested in film versus those internal sunshades, and really whether internal sunshades are particularly effective at keeping internal temps down? Especially if there has been any testing done.

Got it.

I am not aware of any testing per say. I think in a parked car, the reflective sunshades would work well to keep heat out. But the issue would be, how would you place the padding on every window and secure it behind each window without damaging the interior material around the window? And even if you could figure out a way to cover each window, removing the padding each time you drive and then putting it back in place when you park would be time consuming and get old very quickly. If you have ceramic tint on all the windows, there is no work or effort involved and as long as you have an installer who knows what they are doing, you have minimal risk to damaging the interior of the car.

Got it.

I am not aware of any testing per say. I think in a parked car, the reflective sunshades would work well to keep heat out. But the issue would be, how would you place the padding on every window and secure it behind each window without damaging the interior material around the window? And even if you could figure out a way to cover each window, removing the padding each time you drive and then putting it back in place when you park would be time consuming and get old very quickly. If you have ceramic tint on all the windows, there is no work or effort involved and as long as you have an installer who knows what they are doing, you have minimal risk to damaging the interior of the car.

Nope...still not making myself clear. I KNOW the reflective bubble wrap works. I'm fine using that as a windshield screen when I'm parked in the hot sun for long periods of time. Helps keep the bird poop off.

I'm after this:
  1. Internal shades like Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade : do they accomplish anything in terms of keeping interior temps down?
  2. Are window films like https://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/na_auto_specs_l1748.pdf which don't block a lot of visible light worth the expense? Do they have a big impact on keeping the interior temps down?

Nope...still not making myself clear. I KNOW the reflective bubble wrap works. I'm fine using that as a windshield screen when I'm parked in the hot sun for long periods of time. Helps keep the bird poop off.

I'm after this:
  1. Internal shades like Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade : do they accomplish anything in terms of keeping interior temps down?
  2. Are window films like https://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/na_auto_specs_l1748.pdf which don't block a lot of visible light worth the expense? Do they have a big impact on keeping the interior temps down?

1) I have the internal Tesla roof shade and a reflective windshield sunshield. They definitely help to keep the interior temp down a bit. However, the Tesla roof shade is not made of a reflective material. It is a black mesh material. So it does reduce the light that comes in, but probably is not as effective in keeping the heat out as one that is made of reflective material. Also, even if you have the reflective windshield shade and the internal Tesla roof shade in place, light and heat still enter the car through the side and back rear window. So IMO having all the windows covered in ceramic tint works better. And I think the combination of ceramic tint and the sunshields works better than either of the two options alone.

2) Ceramic tints definitely have a big impact on keeping interior temps down. You can compare the TSER ratings for each ceramic tint and pick a film that has one of the higher ratings. That's one of the reasons I chose the top of the line Xpel film. Some people think ceramic tint is not worth the expense and are happy using sunshields and preconditioning the car. I personally park my car outside all the time and wanted the tint not just to reduce the heat but to keep UV rays out to minimize damage to the interior of the car.

Reactions: grmdl3