TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interior temp increases when charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Darren, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Darren

Darren Member

Whenever my car is charging, the interior temperature of the car goes up to 70-something degrees. This is more prevalent nearing the end of the charge. I'm guessing this is due to the heat generated from charging.

The car is nice and toasty when I get in after work.

I charge at a 30A/200V ChargePoint station

2. dtich

dtich #P708

why yes indeed, same as your cell phone warms up when it's charging, all those electrons with no place to go at the end of the charge are dissipating as heat. this warming period should not last long, but even a little temp rise in each charging cell will warm the cabin above it, and times 6000... well, yes.

3. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I've noticed this too. Pretty obvious design flaw, I believe. Not sure at all how it got past the testing phase.

5. Jeff Miller

Jeff Miller Member

If this is caused by dissipative heat losses from charging, it's not possible to design around it. Tesla told me that charging is 92% efficient, so 8% of the
    energy you pull from the grid and stick in the battery is lost as heat. If you put say 20kwh in the battery, the total heat generated would be
    .08 * 20 = 1.6kwh. That's the energy of a room space heater running full blast for an hour - a fair amount of heat. Not surprising that some of this heat makes its way into the cabin.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

At least, not without adding a lot of complexity and cost. Anyway, when it's cool at night this is a feature rather than a bug.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Wait a minute--I'm thinking if the exterior temperature sensor. I've seen that showing 20°F higher than ambient while charging. Seems like that sensor could go elsewhere. Not a huge deal, as the sensor seems accurate when not charging.

I'll have to check to see how the interior temp changes with charging.

8. efxjim

efxjim Member

I think interior temp is elevated by the several hundred? watts the display and computers are using 24/7. Just hope when the cabin is 120+ in the summer they can handle the heat.

9. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

I think it's great that energy lost in the process of charging is turned into cabin heat. In Norway we need heat from September til may anyways.

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Of course the HEAT function could turn itself ON all by itself. It has definitely happened here.

Under 4.2 the CAR OFF mode seems to be respected during charging. By the time you've jumped out & shut the door both screens go OFF. That implies that only critical ancillaries would be connected, like basic battery heating/cooling as needed.
    --