Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior temperatures too high

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is reporting an interior temperature of 105Degrees F right now, with cabin overheat protection running. However, the car has been sitting on my garage for the past 3 hours The temperature inside the garage is about 74 Degrees. I have a mercury thermometer inside the car which says the real interior temperature of the car is 78 degrees.

I picked this car up in December and I'm still learning how it behaves in warm weather, but this seems like a problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

Reactions: beachmiles
Cabin overheat protection is a safety feature that Tesla created because people sometimes forget their children in cars. It doesn't run after 12hrs. If your car has been parked for 12hrs the temperature you are seeing might not be refreshing.

You can turn on your climate with your phone and see if the interior temp drops to match that thermometer you put inside.

Upvote 0
My Model 3 is reporting an interior temperature of 105Degrees F right now, with cabin overheat protection running. However, the car has been sitting on my garage for the past 3 hours The temperature inside the garage is about 74 Degrees. I have a mercury thermometer inside the car which says the real interior temperature of the car is 78 degrees.

I picked this car up in December and I'm still learning how it behaves in warm weather, but this seems like a problem.

Thanks for any assistance.
I'd wager you have a defective interior temperature sensor or defective software that's reading it. As a datapoint, its 95f outside my house, Stacy's Mom is reporting a garage ambient of 83.3F and interior temp of 81.9F. She's been lying dormant for 4+ hours.

Maybe try a software reset(two thumbwheels depressed for 10 seconds or somesuch).

I assume the "while you're driving around" temperatures are 'normal'. That is, if the car thinks its 105 whenever you are in it, the AC should be blasting.

Upvote 0
i've been logging my temps and graphing them in excel. Just two days of information so far. I have an atmo air quality and temp monitor that I leave in the car with historical bluetooth loggin and a professional hvac temp probe and the probe and monitor are within 1 degree of each other. It has been in the upper 80's here and while the app says the car temp is 128, the outside temp is in the mid to upper 80s and the both my probe and monitor in the car show 102 at the center console and around the display area.

I use a reflective windshield sun screen and there is 70 percent stek top of the line ceramic tint on the window and sunroof with an extra 5% limo tint strip at the top. There is 15 percent stek ceramic, one step below their top of the line, on every other piece of glass. And I am using mesh sun shades for the sun roof and rear back glass. And both roof sunshades have the reflective cover on them between the glass and sunshade. And based on other cars I have had I know damn well that my interior is nowhere 128 degrees. Also all 4 windows were in vent mode.

I have used a hair dryer on the display cabin temp sensor while running air and the temp keeps dropping in the app. Same thing with the hair dryer on the sensor in the camera area so I know those two sensors are not being used for app temp indication

Upvote 0
Mine is the opposite. About once per month for a couple of days the interior cabin temperature reads low. The car can sit in 100F temps in direct sun for a couple of hours and the interior temp only reads about 95F (in app) while the actual interior temperature is closer to121F. This means Cabin Overheat Protection will not activate and any climate control settings (except LO) are useless. Even on LO for a few minutes will bring the reading to the 55F range while still very hot. It's at the SC now (third time) to try to solve the problem. I am certain it is interior cabin temp sensor related but they think otherwise. It is mostly inconvenience although I don't trust Dog Mode until I know that the problem is solved.

Upvote 0
Mine is the opposite. About once per month for a couple of days the interior cabin temperature reads low. The car can sit in 100F temps in direct sun for a couple of hours and the interior temp only reads about 95F (in app) while the actual interior temperature is closer to121F. This means Cabin Overheat Protection will not activate and any climate control settings (except LO) are useless. Even on LO for a few minutes will bring the reading to the 55F range while still very hot. It's at the SC now (third time) to try to solve the problem. I am certain it is interior cabin temp sensor related but they think otherwise. It is mostly inconvenience although I don't trust Dog Mode until I know that the problem is solved.
Did you ever solve this? If you are ok with it, can you share which model, you have? Thanks

Upvote 0