TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interior wood trim - Now available in horizontal grain

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by passion4audio, Jan 13, 2014.

1. passion4audio

passion4audio member

#1 passion4audio, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    I received a call from a lovely Tesla rep this morning. She told me that my car (not delivered yet) qualified for an option of having an obeche matte horizontal grain.

I wonder if they'll offer both the vertical and horizontal - or if they will drop the current vertical.

Anyway, what do you think?
    206iejn.png
    k1sz7k.png

2. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Well now, that IS interesting... I wonder if that will be available with the gloss too?

If so, it would only be appropriately snarky to offer the lacewood and piano black horizonally also.

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Depends...is this a 'no charge' option?

4. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

I like it. Has more flow to the dash than the vertical which made it a bit choppy.

5. trader

trader Member

Seems all the pics in the Design Studio are showing horizontal wood grains. Guess the vertical is no longer available.
    Did anyone catch at what date they did the switch?

6. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I like it a lot, and it does look like a permanent design change. I have lacewood and it is actually directional (horizontal fish scale like pattern).

7. ausdma

ausdma Member

I would have definitely gotten that if it was available when I ordered.

8. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Literally happened overnight 1/13 to 1/14. I immediately went to the DS when I saw this post yesterday and the horizontal didn't appear anywhere-- then this morning, on a tip, I checked the DS again and it was the only option.

9. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Member

Interesting. I have the Carbon Fiber trim so no dog in this race but I always thought the vertical wood grain was an interesting and different approach which I was initially not so sure about. After seeing the vertical grain in pictures for many months, now the horizontal grain would seem to take some readjusting to. I suppose they both achieve the desired effect.

10. MarkR

MarkR Member

I'm not sure that it's a difference that makes difference, but tend to agree with BlkCld that horizontal flows nicely.

I think that other color or texture options would be cool - maybe bamboo, color match to exterior, a printed circuit board pattern, or a long narrow LCD to watch the kids in back or change the trim to anything you want at will!

11. Elwood

Elwood Member

On the photo, I don't like it at all. But thats just my tatse I guess.

It does make the dash flow more, but it also detaches it more from the "centre console" part. And there, from a styling point of view, is already quite a bit missing. And apart from that, it also doesn't look very modern in some way. Its now something for the older driver.

I wouldn't have gotten obeche gloss if it were horizontal. Vertical totally fits the car in my opinion.

12. JeffZ

JeffZ Member

Got the same call today for my gloss order and made the switch, like it better than the vertical. Seems it's a straight ahead switch, they won't offer the vertical going forward.

13. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Gorgeous!
    I would have picked this, had that been an option.
    Makes the dash feel wide, and definitely flows.

14. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I say thumbs down. It looks cheap (at least in these pics) and does not match the grain on the console armrest (and I would imagine on the center console and or yacht floor). It reminds me of these:

Attached Files:

15. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

I got the same call from Tesla this evening. I chose horizontal also. From a design standpoint, the vertical orientation did not make sense to me from the first moment I saw it. F. L. Wright now approves.

16. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

That is a Lamborghini Countach isn't it? Like this:

Lamborghini_Countach_interior.jpg

17. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Having idolized the Countach as a kid from the outside I have to say a little something just died in me seeing the interior of one for the first time. Ugh...

The horizontal wood trim looks nice. As others have noted, I think it flows better.

18. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

The pic I referenced was actually a early C4 vette with a cheap aftermarket wood interior kit. I will wait to see real pics of an actual customer delivered car with the horizontal grain, but vertical is chosen by many of the high end companies these days for a reason

Attached Files:

19. Elwood

Elwood Member

20. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

As a somewhat tall person (6'2"), falling into a Countach for the first time was disappointing. Look how the driver foot well slopes in dramatically. It was nearly unbearable for more than a few minutes. Very tight given its size.

Back on topic, I went with CF on mine, but I love the horizontal grain. I might have reconsidered. Like a poster above, I am curious how the grain on the armrest is oriented now. Will they have the grain running perpendicular to each other? That'd be odd, I think.