Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior wood trim - Now available in horizontal grain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having idolized the Countach as a kid from the outside I have to say a little something just died in me seeing the interior of one for the first time. Ugh...

I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING! The Countach was the first car I fell in love with, and has been the only car on my "ICE Car Wish-list" of cars that I want to own one day...Until now. It's officially off the list! Who would want to sit in that?!

The Delorean was also on my list as one point, but it seems as though DMC is trying to make an EV version of the DMC-20, so that's now on off my ICE Wish-list, and on my EV Wish-list! And the English Lightning is on that list too. I still don't think either if them we'll compete with Tesla, but they're still great looking cars, and a bit of variety is fun ;)

- - - Updated - - -

And, FYI, regardless of what anyone THINKS, horizontal wood grain (such as the kind displayed in the original photo) flat out IS more of a luxurious detail that vertical...Specifically because it's harder to finder longer pieces of wood with runs of smooth, consistent grain. You can have whatever preference you prefer, but factually speaking, the horizontal wood grain is more luxurious, high end, etc.​

Those of you making the switch (or others, as possible) please, PLEASE remember to update this thread with pictures once you take delivery. I HATE those goofy brochure/photoshopped pictures on the Design Studio... so unhelpful!
I took a test drive this weekend at the Washington Square (Oregon) store and the demo vehicle had been retrofitted with the horizontal grain. I didn't think to take pics...sorry. I thought it looked good though!

I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING! The Countach was the first car I fell in love with, and has been the only car on my "ICE Car Wish-list" of cars that I want to own one day...Until now. It's officially off the list! Who would want to sit in that?!

The Delorean was also on my list as one point, but it seems as though DMC is trying to make an EV version of the DMC-20, so that's now on off my ICE Wish-list, and on my EV Wish-list! And the English Lightning is on that list too. I still don't think either if them we'll compete with Tesla, but they're still great looking cars, and a bit of variety is fun ;)

- - - Updated - - -

And, FYI, regardless of what anyone THINKS, horizontal wood grain (such as the kind displayed in the original photo) flat out IS more of a luxurious detail that vertical...Specifically because it's harder to finder longer pieces of wood with runs of smooth, consistent grain. You can have whatever preference you prefer, but factually speaking, the horizontal wood grain is more luxurious, high end, etc.​

Um, you do know this is an engineered wood so getting a longer grain is not an issue with it don't you? That sort of kills your "fact" doesn't it?
How does what some who likes vertical grain make their viewpoint an opinion (which it certainly is) while your viewpoint is a fact?

Um, you do know this is an engineered wood so getting a longer grain is not an issue with it don't you? That sort of kills your "fact" doesn't it?
How does what some who likes vertical grain make their viewpoint an opinion (which it certainly is) while your viewpoint is a fact?

Umm...Not at all. In general, longer runs of wood are harder to find, and therefore the usage is considered more high-end, luxurious, etc. Another example would be the width of hardwood floor boards...8-12" wide boards have a more high-end feel than 2-4" boards. Now, if you used an engineered wood floor, the wider boards would still have a more luxurious feel than the narrow boards, even though it is engineered, based on the existing perception from real wood details. From a design point of view, it is factual that longer runs of grain, wider boards, etc are more of a high-end choice than shorter runs, more narrow boards, etc.

As for whether people "like" horizontal grain vs. verticle grain, I believe I was clear that people can prefer whatever they want to...Of course people are entitled to their own opinion of what they like, I never suggested that they have to "like" the horizontal grain. But I was specifically addressing the various comments from people who claimed that horizontal grain was tacky, not high-end, non-luxurious, etc. As a design detail, longer, horizontal runs of wood paneling (engineered or not) still have a more high-end, luxurious appearance than shorter, verticle runs.

Last edited:
Umm...Not at all. In general, longer runs of wood are harder to find, and therefore the usage is considered more high-end, luxurious, etc. Another example would be the width of hardwood floor boards...8-12" wide boards have a more high-end feel than 2-4" boards. Now, if you used an engineered wood floor, the wider boards would still have a more luxurious feel than the narrow boards, even though it is engineered, based on the existing perception from real wood details. From a design point of view, it is factual that longer runs of grain, wider boards, etc are more of a high-end choice than shorter runs, more narrow boards, etc.

As for whether people "like" horizontal grain vs. verticle grain, I believe I was clear that people can prefer whatever they want to...Of course people are entitled to their own opinion of what they like, I never suggested that they have to "like" the horizontal grain. But I was specifically addressing the various comments from people who claimed that horizontal grain was tacky, not high-end, non-luxurious, etc. As a design detail, longer, horizontal runs of wood paneling (engineered or not) still have a more high-end, luxurious appearance than shorter, verticle runs.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. You seem to be referring to flooring in your comparison, which is not the same thing and not applicable to what looks better on a relatively small area like an automobile dash. I dont think the horizontal looks tacky, but if they do not change the orientation of the wood on the center console to match, then that is tacky to me. I also think you might not understand the difference between fact and opinion. Just my fact , I mean opinion.:biggrin:

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. You seem to be referring to flooring in your comparison, which is not the same thing and not applicable to what looks better on a relatively small area like an automobile dash. I dont think the horizontal looks tacky, but if they do not change the orientation of the wood on the center console to match, then that is tacky to me. I also think you might not understand the difference between fact and opinion. Just my fact , I mean opinion.:biggrin:

I'm not comparing apples to oranges...I just gave those as examples, because it has bearing on any wood detail. In pretty much any example, longer runs of grain are harder to find, and are therefore considered more high-end than shorter runs. What you prefer is up to you. I was just trying to bring some perspective from the design industry that has bearing on this conversation.

As for the difference between fact and opinion, I think you might have a deficiency of understanding. To wit: You may prefer vanilla ice cream to rum raisin ice cream. That is your preference. Your opinion. However, most people would agree that vanilla is a more popular flavor of ice cream compared to rum raisin. Regardless of what any individual people personally prefer, most of them would be able to conclude, based on general public perception, than vanilla is a more popular flavor than rum raisin (even if they hate vanilla ice cream, or ice cream in general), factually speaking. THAT is the difference between opinion and fact.

I said longer runs of wood grain (in this case, horizontal) is a more high-end detail than shorter runs. I didn't say that I liked it better. As it happens, I do like the look of it. As it also happens, I have the vertical matte Obeche in my Model S, and I like that as well.

I think the point I've made is pretty clear. Can we be done with this? OK thanks bye.

I'm not comparing apples to oranges...I just gave those as examples, because it has bearing on any wood detail. In pretty much any example, longer runs of grain are harder to find, and are therefore considered more high-end than shorter runs. What you prefer is up to you. I was just trying to bring some perspective from the design industry that has bearing on this conversation.

As for the difference between fact and opinion, I think you might have a deficiency of understanding. To wit: You may prefer vanilla ice cream to rum raisin ice cream. That is your preference. Your opinion. However, most people would agree that vanilla is a more popular flavor of ice cream compared to rum raisin. Regardless of what any individual people personally prefer, most of them would be able to conclude, based on general public perception, than vanilla is a more popular flavor than rum raisin (even if they hate vanilla ice cream, or ice cream in general), factually speaking. THAT is the difference between opinion and fact.

I said longer runs of wood grain (in this case, horizontal) is a more high-end detail than shorter runs. I didn't say that I liked it better. As it happens, I do like the look of it. As it also happens, I have the vertical matte Obeche in my Model S, and I like that as well.

I think the point I've made is pretty clear. Can we be done with this? OK thanks bye.

Nah, I'm not done:

It's not a fact that vanilla tastes better than rum raisin. You could take a vote or look at sales figures between the two flavors, but its still just someone's opinion as to which one is actually the better tasting flavor. So you could say longer runs of a grain are better selling, command a higher price, etc. and those could be facts that could be supported with proof. However, you can't say a longer run is factually more luxurious (well you can, but you would be wrong to do so). That's still your opinion.

Now we can be done with this. OK thanks bye (I guess that is some sort of teenage girl saying, but I figured it was better to use your language to help you understand I was done speaking :tongue:)

PS-Even though I don't have your wood choice, it's my second favorite. lacewood is my favorite, and that's a fact! ;)

Girls, you're BOTH pretty. Now, back to the topic at hand. Courtesy JakeP's loaner, here are some actual pictures of the horizontal wood. I will say that it looks really good in person, very natural despite having become accustomed to the vertical. That said, the rest of the wood pieces including the yacht floor, are oriented as before--- but it works, the entire wood treatment now is oriented like the Tesla "T" would be and as a design element this parallel is even more obvious than before. I really like it.
You'll note in some of the pictures the stain on the dash appears different than the console/yacht floor. It isn't. The lighting conditions are just a little unusual this morning. It probably doesn't make a difference, but in the interest of full disclosure this dash was retrofitted into this car, not built at the factory.
01-IMG_9766.JPG
03-IMG_9770.JPG
04-IMG_9771.JPG
07-IMG_9775.JPG
08-IMG_9777.JPG
09-IMG_9778.JPG

Attachments

• 02-IMG_9767.JPG
    02-IMG_9767.JPG
    724.8 KB · Views: 946
  • 05-IMG_9772.JPG
    05-IMG_9772.JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 925
  • 06-IMG_9773.JPG
    06-IMG_9773.JPG
    794 KB · Views: 917
Last edited:
hi to all
We were called by Tesla people about 10 days ago, and they told us about the horizontal orientation. We jumped on this without hesitation, no effect on the delivery date . Looks great- thanks for the pictures. We have a solid red S85 with tan performance seats and the matte Obeche trim.

So...jest wondering out loud here now....

...if I cain't get the local SvC to horizontalize my lacewood after THREE TRIPS there.....

...ya suppose I kin invoke the Lemon Law????

:scared: