Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

If I add the £5,700 premium pack to a model X does this include the premium interior?

I really like the dark ash trim/panel but unsure about textile seats? Am I right in thinking the textile seats are part textile and part “faux” leather anyway?

That’s another thing paying £3100 for premium interior that isn’t leather doesn’t make sense to me :) better spent on auto pilot :)

Hi @Fellsteruk & welcome :)

I have a MS with the white premium interior & that comes with the dark ash accents, it looks fabulous & is one of the first things most people remark on when I open up the car for them to have a look. I always get told how brave I am (with it being white & me having a 5 year old little boy!) but it wipes clean (spilled edibles from the LO) really easily & I haven't found it getting any marks from clothes, yet. Baby wipes clean up most stuff though so I keep a pack in the glove-box just in case.

The PUP doesn't include the seats, I'm afraid they're 2 separate (a bit expensive IMHO) options. PUP adds the upgraded cabin air filters, premium sound, self presenting doors (on a MX) & the cold weather pack. I also have this on my MS, mostly for the cold weather pack which has been fabulous in the recent chilly weather ... nothing nicer than a heated steering wheel in this weather!!

Give me a shout if you need any more info, or you'd like a referral code to take the plunge ... I still have the £375 of extra Tesla vouchers as well as free supercharging available with my code ;)

Thank you!

I’m trying to sort out a charging solution at home before I order but I’ve got almost everything lined up. Gonna take another look at the interiors in the showroom as I do like the white but I also really like the standard.... lol

I often think interior choice boils down to the colour you go for on the outside ... if you go bright outside then you can get away with dark inside & save some dosh, or you can do what I've done & splurge on the in-your-face bright all over :D Conversely most of the darker paints look nice with the light interiors; I think the blue & red look really nice with cream rather than white, it's a bit softer all round. My old car was black with cream interior & that looked good too. Personally I'd avoid a dark paint and dark interior or (I think) it makes the car feel a bit claustrophobic & cave like. But then I know people that have gone for the full Darth Vader look and done black everything - outside, inside, tinted windows, de-chromed & black wheels!! Horses for courses I guess ... life would be dull if we all liked the same stuff :D

Reactions: Fellsteruk
My challenge is more fitting than sourcing.

So I technically live in a semi but the reality is that it’s not as the house to the end of me is joined but because it’s front is on the side we are both classed as a semi, yet I’m more of a mid terry.

Anyway.. I have a long front garden to the front but no parking as I have a bus lane in the front of my house so no way I can install and use a charger in the front, however my consumer unit and mains supply is at the front.

To the rear I have a garden along with a garage and a space however my garage has no supply and is “away” from my house as is my space and parking directly behind my house is prohibited.

Long story short new builds suck a$$

My 2 neighbors whos path I’d have to cross with a cable have said they are ok with me having a cable on the floor to charge my car overnight however that would be fed by a 13amp supply from an existing outdoor socket, but what’s the point with that as even with 8H I won’t get much charge.

I’ve spoken to a Tesla approved installer who said the Tesla charger or any kind of 7kw charger needs to fed from the supply at the front of the house so I’ve now got two companies coming out to quote for them to take a supply from the front of the house, over the roof, down to the bottom of the garden where I intend to install a Tesla charger with an 8m cable so I can charge at home.

Even if that’s possible my next challenge is:

- can the cable on the Tesla charger withstand the occasional car driving over it if not how do I protect it
- could I get away with leaving my car behind my house to charge so no cable issue for anyone else except my car being parked ina no park area however it’s a private car park so unlikely to get fines Just moody neighbors

I want EV so much but it’s proving difficult to make a reality.

I often think interior choice boils down to the colour you go for on the outside ... if you go bright outside then you can get away with dark inside & save some dosh, or you can do what I've done & splurge on the in-your-face bright all over :D Conversely most of the darker paints look nice with the light interiors; I think the blue & red look really nice with cream rather than white, it's a bit softer all round. My old car was black with cream interior & that looked good too. Personally I'd avoid a dark paint and dark interior or (I think) it makes the car feel a bit claustrophobic & cave like. But then I know people that have gone for the full Darth Vader look and done black everything - outside, inside, tinted windows, de-chromed & black wheels!! Horses for courses I guess ... life would be dull if we all liked the same stuff :D

Agreed but then my house is like a cave according to the wife.

I’m thinking midnight silver, sonic wheels and white seats or the standard seats as I don’t like the trim on the dark premium seats just a question of if I like white seats enough to pay the extra. :) got my finance approved this week so just need to make a bloody decision on options, get an answer on Home charging then pull the trigger :)

Reactions: CotswoldSara
Wow! Sounds a bit of a mare for fitting a charger :eek: Daft question (I'm not a sparky) can they go through your house perhaps instead of over the top? Or could you make a parking space at the front? You'd think a new build would be geared up for EVs wouldn't you. I'm sure a good sparky can come up with a solution.

You can get cable ramps that a cable goes inside to allow cars to drive over it. They're like little ramps.

The midnight silver with white seats does look good - I think I remember someone on the FB group had a MS in that combo at the end of last year. It's the combo I nearly bought too, then I changed my mind & got the white exterior too :)

Yeah it’s proving a challenge.

Through the house... not easily, technically I could try and run a cable from my consumer unit into ceiling and then through a few rooms to the rear of property and out. Challenge is that the joists go the opposite way “I know this because I’ve just fitted downlights”

I’m guessing the cable will be fat, too fat for me to channel the plaster board in the ceiling and run under the joists, I’ve done this with some twin and earth and that just about fitted so after filling and sanding it looked like normal.

I’ve parked out the front in the bus lanes for 6 years but as of this month that pleasure gets you a £30 fine :(

I think the biggest cost for the sparky will be time to route the cable, personally I would happily take the hours/days it would take me to route the cable for them to turn up and connect at both ends but I’m sure with all the part p and refs etc they have to do all that as well....

I’ll soon find out.

To give you an idea look at the pic, the red bit is my parking space and garage and the green bit my house, yellow is where I currently have an outdoor socket and where I’d ideally have a home charger.

Attachments

• 84A22327-3FBC-488B-AEFD-7EC7B3D67AD6.jpeg
    84A22327-3FBC-488B-AEFD-7EC7B3D67AD6.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 81
I see your problem :confused: I take it that if you park at the end of your garden you're sort of blocking someone else's garage then? That's a bugger!! I don't think there's rules about you running the cable so long as the sparky connects it up & can see your working so to speak, so I guess make good afterwards. Until it's connected it's just a chunk of copper wrapped in plastic :) Check with them when you talk to them I guess. I know there are rules about how to do joists - done a fair bit of DIY myself ;)

If you're on FB I'd suggest you join the Tesla Owners Club UK group. You can join before you buy (Tesla Owners Group UK you need to have placed an order to quote a VIN) & a lot of the same guys are on there as the official owners group. Also there are a ton of us on here too but I think FB is probably more active. We're all a mine of useful & not so useful information (& Jaffa cakes ;))

I want EV so much but it’s proving difficult to make a reality.

There's going to be plenty more of that as the transition occurs ...

... maybe you should just sit tight until all of us just ride-hail a self-driving Uber? :oops:

the joists go the opposite way

I get that sort of outcome every time I toss a coin!

I’m guessing the cable will be fat

I suppose the sparky can run a regular cable inside the house, and then junction-box for an armoured cable outside ... but, yeah, its carrying quite a lot of umph, so reasonably thick. I'll bet that @arg would know :)

It might be that through the house is sufficiently shorter that the through-the-roof cable would be even fatter? (more cost, maybe more effort to "handle", particularly as a longer reel will be needed

Any chance you will own two EVs in your household in future? or have one visiting ? i.e. put in a cable capable of that in the first instance.

I’m sure with all the part p and refs etc they have to do all that as well

Maybe, but if the Sparky is on site I'm sure you could help, so that might reduce the time and/or Sparky can come on his own with your help, rather than bring a chargeable mate. My Sparky would be happy with me running the cable, all visible, before he connected it up ... but he's known me a long time.

that would be fed by a 13amp supply from an existing outdoor socket

13AMP is a bit over 5MPH, single phase car-charger is a bit over 20MPH ...

the red bit is my parking space ... yellow is where I currently have an outdoor socket and where I’d ideally have a home charger

Any chance you could swap parking spaces with someone who has one closer to your charging socket?

can the cable on the Tesla charger withstand the occasional car driving over it

Could you have a long cable that avoided being run over? (I've used a fat cable :) )

TMCCableRoute.jpg

I think the biggest cost for the sparky will be time to route the cable, personally I would happily take the hours/days it would take me to route the cable for them to turn up and connect at both ends but I’m sure with all the part p and refs etc they have to do all that as well....

No, it's absolutely possible and sensible for you (or your gardener or other labour cheaper than an electrician) to do the digging/drilling work and have the electrician just do the actual electrical work. Most electricians don't enjoy digging and will be happy to quote you a cheaper price on that basis. However, it's critical that you contact the electrician and agree what's to be done BEFORE you start, rather than presenting them with a buried cable and saying "use that!". You are asking them to put their signature to the "design" section as well as the "erection" and "testing" on the certificate, so they need to design the work. They might want to see the cable in your trench before you fill it back in again, and check that you have put warning tape in the trench etc.

It is also theoretically possible to do it as a pure DIY job, with either local authority building control or a 'third party verifier' to inspect the work and satisfy the requirements under Part P, but for a modest job like this it's normally more expensive than getting an electrician to take responsibility for the whole job (LABC or the 3PV will normally need at least two visits to inspect your first fix and to test the final result).

I suppose the sparky can run a regular cable inside the house, and then junction-box for an armoured cable outside ... but, yeah, its carrying quite a lot of umph, so reasonably thick. I'll bet that @arg would know :)

It might be that through the house is sufficiently shorter that the through-the-roof cable would be even fatter? (more cost, maybe more effort to "handle", particularly as a longer reel will be needed

You are talking at least 6mm² cable, possibly 10mm² depending how long it is and whether you are just putting the chargepoint on the end, or plan to put sockets/lighting in your garage as part of the job. Armoured cable at those sizes is 15.4mm/17.9mm diameter. You can indeed use a lighter cable such as T&E internally and then junction to the SWA where it gets buried, but non-armoured cable buried in plaster will need protection with an RCD at the source end (normally with a circuit like this the preference would be to put the RCD at the garage end).

I don't much like the sound of your lighting cables notched into the plasterboard of the ceiling, though I can't find a specific regulation that they break (except perhaps the collapse in the case of fire: did you use metal clips to retain them?). However, that's probably not a feasible way to route a 6mm² cable regardless.

As regards the overall job, if you are going to this much trouble, then I'd be strongly inclined to finish the job and get your neighbour's permission to continue the trench under his garden entrance and into the garage block so you aren't having trailing cables across the common walkway. You could even offer to let him drop his own cable into your trench in case he wants lighting in his garage (if he's not sold on the idea of EVs).

I think the premium synthetic leather is a step forward from old-fashioned cow hide. It cleans more easily and doesn't crease up like leather tends to. Feels lovely too, very soft and luxurious. As above, it's a £3100 option and nothing to do with the additional £5,700 PUP. The online configurator lists exactly what's included in the PUP - but basically premium sound, self-presenting doors, upgraded air filters and winter pack.

We have a new Model X and I have to say I'm very impressed with the first few weeks ownership. It really is sublime to drive and First Class travel for the kids!

People will shove referral codes down your throat, but best to take one from someone local so you can get the best goodwill in return.

Hey all, thanks for the comments and feedback really helpful.

I definetly want this doing properly and got two different “Tesla” approved ppl coming out to see what’s possible.

Sadly my parking space is outside my garage “one of 3” and one top of my garage is an apartment. In order for me to run any cables outside the boundary of my house I’d not only need approval of the home owners but also the company who own the “shared” car park even though I own the garage and space, the ground is a mix of block paving and tarmac and to be honest it’s just gonna be a non starter I think or the expense too great.

My best hope is to get a Tesla charger on the inside of my back fence and doin one of two things:

1. Park behind my house, blocking my neighbours space but agree with them if I’m charging my space is empty so whilst it’s not great they have plenty of room to get in and out

2. Charge the car in my space and put the Tesla charger tether under a little ramp whilst charging.

I doubt I’ll ever have more than 2 EVs at this address As my other half has a fiat 500 that she does less than 1k miles a year

I’ll let you know what the sparkies suggest and hopefully I’m worrying about nothing.

Sadly my parking space is outside my garage “one of 3” and one top of my garage is an apartment. In order for me to run any cables outside the boundary of my house I’d not only need approval of the home owners but also the company who own the “shared” car park even though I own the garage and space, the ground is a mix of block paving and tarmac and to be honest it’s just gonna be a non starter I think or the expense too great.

Radical option: the apartment presumably has an electrical supply. Do a deal with them to fit the chargepoint in your garage using their supply, with a meter so they know how much you've used and can therefore pay them for the electricity. You'll save so much on the installation cost (not to mention the subsequent convenience) you can afford to give them a small bribe to start.

Suitable MID-quality meters are only about 20 quid.

Thanks I may ask them/test the water... just hope she isn’t planning on selling anytime soon lol

Starting to think... should I buy a new house for my Tesla for easy charging lol.

Either way, as you guys have said the sparkies will have a solution, I’m no doubt not the first with this type of challenge.

Parents who are 12miles away are letting me get a blue industrial socket installed outside their house so at a push I’ll just be visiting them more often which isn’t a bad thing

What’s the mph charger difference on one of them vs a Tesla charger?