Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittant Noise in my new 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Picked up my 85D yesterday. LOVE IT.

On the way home, which was about 150 miles I noticed it make what I can only describe as a hum, or rrrrrrrrrrr noise. Almost like what you would hear when something is vibrating, but it doesn't vibrate. It appears to come from the front of the car. I dismissed it as the air compressor, but after doing some searching it sounds (no pun intended) like a lot of folks say there is no noise.

The noise lasts for about 1-2 seconds and goes away, but it is very distinct.

Any thoughts what this might be, and should I be concerned?

thanks,
Jason

What you're describing sounds very much to me like the Lane Departure Warning activating.

Really? Any thoughts how to verify that? I figured lane departure would be a ding like the radar does. Maybe I need to read the manual. :)

Day three of ownership so haven't had time to do silly things like read the manual, but I don't think I've been drifting out of a lane every time it makes this noise.

Ok duh ... I did just read the manual (sort of ..googled lane departure tesla). I guess I can disable it and see if the noise goes away.

Definitely not a ding. It's easy to verify, simply change lanes without using your turn signal. Anytime you get too close or cross over a lane line (without your turn signal for that direction being engaged) you'll get a roughly 2-3 second buzzing at about the same frequency as driving over real rumble strips at roughly 60MPH. (Which to me seemed a brilliant implementation of this feature, as I knew EXACTLY what it was when it happened because it was so close to the "real thing.")

You can also turn this off in the Driver Assist settings, which would be another way to know for sure:

From the "Fine Manual" (that you should definitely read :wink:):

"If a front wheel passes over a lane marking and the associated turn signal is off, you feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. "

"To turn Lane Departure Warning on or off, touch Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Lane Departure Warning. "

I don't really feel the vibration in the steering wheel so much as hear it, but regardless, it's quite effective. (Some would say "annoying.") Also, I've noticed that the warning will activate when I clearly haven't rolled over the line but are within a few inches of it, especially on the driver's side.

If it is the noise I think you are describing, I have it too. It is destinctly different than the lane departure, and is frustratingly intermittent. In my case if you turn off the lane departure it still occurs. It seems to come from the front left A pillar area. I thought it was bad speaker at first, it is almost a crackling, buzzing noise. I had it in for service and the tech told me that it was not an uncommon complaint for D's and that the were still trying to pin it down. For some reason, it seems to frequently come on when I am on cloverleafs, but doesn't seem to be affected by manipulating the steering wheel.

If it is the noise I think you are describing, I have it too. It is destinctly different than the lane departure, and is frustratingly intermittent. In my case if you turn off the lane departure it still occurs. It seems to come from the front left A pillar area. I thought it was bad speaker at first, it is almost a crackling, buzzing noise. I had it in for service and the tech told me that it was not an uncommon complaint for D's and that the were still trying to pin it down. For some reason, it seems to frequently come on when I am on cloverleafs, but doesn't seem to be affected by manipulating the steering wheel.

Have them check the controls on the steering wheel. I had a weird sound that I thought was coming from the A Pillar but later turned out to be a rattling noise coming from the controls. An easy way to see if this is the problem is to lightly hit the steering wheel with your palm to make it vibrate... if you hear the sound, then you know what's up!

Here's the part they replaced : STEERING CONTROL SWITCH ASSEMBLYHARNESS WITH HEATER (1013242-00-E)

Ilavalle have you had vibration during acceleration from stop? Did vibration appear and dissapper b/w 40-70km/h?

My 85D VIN 70xxx probably a week or two between our cars been produced....

Could it be early problem with 85D?

- - - Updated - - -

Have them check the controls on the steering wheel. I had a weird sound that I thought was coming from the A Pillar but later turned out to be a rattling noise coming from the controls. An easy way to see if this is the problem is to lightly hit the steering wheel with your palm to make it vibrate... if you hear the sound, then you know what's up!

Here's the part they replaced : STEERING CONTROL SWITCH ASSEMBLYHARNESS WITH HEATER (1013242-00-E)

Ilavalle have you had vibration during acceleration from stop? Did vibration appear and dissapper b/w 40-70km/h?

My 85D VIN 70xxx probably a week or two between our cars been produced....

Could it be early problem with 85D?

There is something new in my car. Under heavy acceleration, when I hit 50 or 60, I can hear a clicking noise coming from the front of the car. The thing is, it does not always happens. My guess is that since winter is coming (no GoT jokes), I get less traction and I'm getting wheel hop in the front.

It's only at 50-60 and I've lifted my foot of the pedal every time because I found the noise to be irritating.

Is that what you are referring to?

mscott nailed it ... I turned off the lane departure and no noise! Funny that I didn't correlate the noise with "departing".

Hahah.. I felt the same way when I picked up my car last month. What's that "rrrrr"ing noise. Odd that the suspension would be changing at such low speed. After a couple more whrrrrr's, I thought I'd have to take the car into the service center. Then I noticed it only happened when changed lanes without signaling and then I realized... Doh!

There is something new in my car. Under heavy acceleration, when I hit 50 or 60, I can hear a clicking noise coming from the front of the car. The thing is, it does not always happens. My guess is that since winter is coming (no GoT jokes), I get less traction and I'm getting wheel hop in the front.

It's only at 50-60 and I've lifted my foot of the pedal every time because I found the noise to be irritating.

Is that what you are referring to?

I get exactly the same issue on my 85D it is clicking noise......it is often but not always therefore it was a bit difficult for SC to confirm that there is a noise. I started to have this issue when new OTA update with increased acceleration came out..... More torque and some parts do not seem to cope well with it. My immediate thought was it must be smith with drive shaft or DU. But it could be smith else.
I get a time slot in SC in early Dec for thorough car testing.... Hope they can find the problem. It's been very irritating to have it for the past 6 month. I am aware that there Is another 'general' vibration issue on D models but it is different subject.

So keep me updated on your case seance we seem to have identical problem based on the anamnesis :)