Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittant Problems - Mirrors Unfolding On Their Own and Car Not Shutting Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I've had two ongoing problems, and I'm wondering if it's me or others see the same problems. I've been working with the local service center on the mirrors but so far no change.

Fairly rarely the car doesn't shut down after charging in the garage. I'll go out there hours later and the instrument screen will be lit. When that happens the vampire drain overnight is around 4 miles of range. If I push the button on the charging cable, it will charge back up to 90% and shut off an hour or so after it finishes charging. This may only happen once a month or so.

The mirrors unfold in the garage sometimes for no reason. This one happens at least a couple of times a week. When I pull into the garage, I always fold the mirrors and leave the car unlocked in the garage. Originally the mirrors would unfold whenever a door was opened, which was annoying but predictable. About a year ago the mirrors started staying folded after a firmware update. Now the normal procedure is to back out of the garage and unfold the mirrors in the driveway while the garage door closes.

However since that update, the mirrors sometimes unfold on their own. Most of the time it happens at some time after parking the car, occasionally it happens when I push the brake pedal to start the car.

For example the last time I drove anywhere was yesterday (Tuesday) and I got home around 5 PM. I went about my normal procedure of folding the mirrors and putting the car away. I plugged it in like I always do. A few minutes ago I went out there and the mirrors were unfolded.

There are only two adults and two cats in the household and I know my SO isn't doing anything.

Last time the car was in the service center, they replaced the mirror switch, but it kept happening. They have a replacement for the entire door module they want to replace last week. They have checked the logs and said there were some weird things in the logs, but didn't tell me what they were.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen anything like either of these problems or if my car is an N of 1. Neither are serious problems, the both fall into the annoyance category, though I did almost take the passenger side mirror off one day when I backed out and didn't notice the mirrors were out.

I have the unfolding mirror issue about a once every week or two. Never really bothered me enough to ask the SC about it. I have the exact same routine as you. Car unlocked when I arrive home for the night and plug in.

Check the easy entry profile settings.
Select the easy entry profile
Then: Controls>Settings>Vehicle>Mirror auto-fold

Sometimes on easy entry it gets switched on randomly. Then when you get out the car is on that profile and it causes an issue.

And for the unlock issue, I've experienced that as well. Sometimes I just get lucky and see it at night so I hit the lock

Check the easy entry profile settings.
Select the easy entry profile
Then: Controls>Settings>Vehicle>Mirror auto-fold

Sometimes on easy entry it gets switched on randomly. Then when you get out the car is on that profile and it causes an issue.

And for the unlock issue, I've experienced that as well. Sometimes I just get lucky and see it at night so I hit the lock

I've checked and that setting never changes. It happens randomly with no settings changes one way or the other. This is only when the car is sitting in the garage unlocked and I manually folded the mirrors. I have them set to auto fold when I lock the car and I've never had an issue with that. When the mirrors have auto-folded on lock, they always unfold when I unlock the car or it senses the key approach the car.

Maybe it only happens in the NW US? I notice @Doanster1 is in Oregon, I'm just across the Columbia in Washington state (Portland metro area).

I've checked and that setting never changes. It happens randomly with no settings changes one way or the other. This is only when the car is sitting in the garage unlocked and I manually folded the mirrors. I have them set to auto fold when I lock the car and I've never had an issue with that. When the mirrors have auto-folded on lock, they always unfold when I unlock the car or it senses the key approach the car.

Maybe it only happens in the NW US? I notice @Doanster1 is in Oregon, I'm just across the Columbia in Washington state (Portland metro area).
It’s Hanford. :)

Yah, has not thing to do with Easy Entry for me either. Just totally random.

Turn off the auto lock and auto unlock functions.
Consider turning off your bluetooth when you're at home - it's probably triggering lock/unlock while you're at home but in bt range
also check on your app when you leave the car and make sure all the doors are closed, and then lock the car from your app... it's possible a door isn't getting shut all the way (the doors on the 3 seem to need slamming to shut): that could cause the car to be 'lit' up all night and run the A/C all night causing 'vampire' loss

Prob can try any/all of those, but none (on paper) would result in the mirrors unfolding. The only time mirrors unfold are via the button or when you reach 31mph and they unfold themselves for safety reasons.

@wdolson and I leave our cars unlocked in the garage. I can open he doors throughout the night to get something and the mirrors stay folded. I can walk by the car with keys in my pocket and the handles will prevent themselves while the mirrors stay folded. Literally just a random glitch in The Matrix I tell ‘ya.

Oops, sorry, you were giving hints about his other problem.

Turn off the auto lock and auto unlock functions.
Consider turning off your bluetooth when you're at home - it's probably triggering lock/unlock while you're at home but in bt range
also check on your app when you leave the car and make sure all the doors are closed, and then lock the car from your app... it's possible a door isn't getting shut all the way (the doors on the 3 seem to need slamming to shut): that could cause the car to be 'lit' up all night and run the A/C all night causing 'vampire' loss

Auto lock has always been off. It has never been enabled. The car is always unlocked in the garage and this is the only place the problems occur. The only time Bluetooth is ever enabled on my phone is when I have my phone with me in the car. It is always turned off when I get home. I only take my phone with me about 50% of the time I leave the house.

I don't use the Tesla app much. It has never been used to lock or unlock the doors. When I am done with the app, I always remove it from memory on my phone.

All doors have always been properly closed when both the mirror unfold and the won't shut off happens. When it doesn't shut off neither the radio/infotainment nor the A/C is running. It's just the instrument screen, the main screen is off.