Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Charging Stopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MYLR plugged in and charging with a Tesla Wall Connector with a 50Amp breaker charging at 40amps. During the 6 hour charging session, the car stopped charging 3 times but restarted before I noticed the warning in the app. Has anyone else experienced this or know why this is happening? This was at my in laws house and this hasn’t happened at my own home using the exact same wall connector with same 50amp breaker.

IMG_9338.png

I had my MYLR plugged in and charging with a Tesla Wall Connector with a 50Amp breaker charging at 40amps. During the 6 hour charging session, the car stopped charging 3 times but restarted before I noticed the warning in the app. Has anyone else experienced this or know why this is happening? This was at my in laws house and this hasn’t happened at my own home using the exact same wall connector with same 50amp breaker.

View attachment 942351
How is it you are able to use the exact same Wall Connector at two locations? If you are using the Wall Connector it is supposed to be hard wired, not have a plug. Is it possible you are using the Tesla Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 plug adapter? Also possible but less common is the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector with fixed NEMA 14-50 power plug.

Possible issues:
When using the Tesla Mobile Connector the power plug adapter may not be fully seated into Mobile Connector chassis.
Also, don't let the Mobile Connector hang from the outlet supported by just the power plug.
It is possible that the wire connections at the circuit breaker or at the Wall Connector (if hard wired) or 14-50 receptacle (if using a receptacle and power plug) are not properly tightened and have loosened over time. Time to consult with an electrician.

Sorry, its not the same wall connector Moved from house to house, but both are the exact same Gen 3 Wall connector with the same firmware and hardwired exactly the same using 6awg copper cabling, 50amp breakers and about the same distance from the electrical panel to the wall connector (about 25-30ft).

Sorry, its not the same wall connector Moved from house to house, but both are the exact same Gen 3 Wall connector with the same firmware and hardwired exactly the same using 6awg copper cabling, 50amp breakers and about the same distance from the electrical panel to the wall connector (about 25-30ft).
Did you install the Wall Connector or did you use an electrician? Tightening the wire terminations to the proper torque spec is important. A torque screw driver is the best way to ensure the correct tightening of the terminal screws.

Also forgot to mention, all connections in the circuit breaker were tightly screwed down and on the charger side was torqued to the proper spec in the installation instruction sheet. Only thing different is the one that is intermittently stopping is mounted in a charger housing and in the sun, and the car is charging while in the sun, the other one is in an enclosed garage mounted straight on the wall and charged in the shade.

Also forgot to mention, all connections in the circuit breaker were tightly screwed down and on the charger side was torqued to the proper spec in the installation instruction sheet. Only thing different is the one that is intermittently stopping is mounted in a charger housing and in the sun, and the car is charging while in the sun, the other one is in an enclosed garage mounted straight on the wall and charged in the shade.
If this is a solar panel setup then try shading the charger housing to see if this reduces or eliminates the intermittent charging stoppages. Else, what happens when you charge in the evening? Proper spec means you used a torque screwdriver?

You could also try reducing the charging amperage to 32 amps from 40 amps to see if it helps eliminate the stoppages.

How old is the Wall Connector?

I think it may be heat related also. I used a inch pounds torque wrench and the charger is about a month old. Both chargers were installed about a couple months of each other. I haven’t tried charging overnight because its at the in laws house and we are only there during the day and taking advantage of the excess power that is being generated by the PV system at their house. I will try reducing the charge to 32amps since that is what I originally had it set to but i was just hoping i could get the most charge in the time we are there. At 32amps, it takes about an additional 2-3 hours to charge to 90% as compared to the 40amps I set it to yesterday.

I kept touching the breaker so see if it was heating excessively, but not any more then at my home.

Just wondering if anyone else had that error and know what the issue was. I tried checking the in car screen for info, but didn’t have anything by the time I looked at it.

Our 2015 85D (age matters in this story) had intermittent charging stoppages for a few weeks now. The instrument panel charging info said "charging equipment not recognized," I think...at our usual home connection. Much as ZoomMYLR found, the problem moved with the car though, as a visit to a supercharger had similar problems, but managed to hold its connection enough to charge. So, I pretty much knew at that point that the problem was not the chargers. It was the car.
I have disassembled the charging port and inspected the components. I believe I know what is actually failing on our, and your, Teslas. The charge port has 5 conductors. Looking at the socket from the outside you can see the two large pins that carry the charging current, and below them you can see the grounding and control circuit pins. I will bet good money that at least one of those control circuit pins is corroded, or dirty, or whatever enough to be problematical (as ours is/was). I have cleaned the pins and gotten good results. Charging has been without issue for the past few days now.
My diagnosis was inspired by the ability to make the problem cease by pulling the plug, when inserted, sort of forward and up (perpendicular to the angled edge of the taillight/door). As long as I held it in place like that it was functional. As soon as I let go it would fail. I considered it highly unlikely a genuinely failed charge port could be induced to work by doing this.
We took it to the service center. They determined that the problem is the charge port itself. They quoted $1457.77 (incl $90 sales tax) to replace the charge port assembly. They do not allow separate sales of the control circuit connector/wire assembly. Mind you, the 3-prong connector/cable is a very simple and relatively inexpensive part, maybe around $100 even at Tesla prices. It is similar to what you can find as various "plow connectors", et al, online, (so NOT spaceX tech here). It is likely the cheapest piece of what they call "the assembly". At one point during the messaging discussion they told me they would be more than happy to sell me the part I wanted over the counter. They had to backtrack after a little research. They then said that the part number I gave them, which I got from a picture of the part online showing the number quite clearly, is not valid in their system. The new situation is: you can't buy the little (read 'less expensive) failed part (#1065730-00-C). You must buy the whole thing for about $800 (based on the taxes charged in the invoice which does not itemize labor and parts costs). $560 more for labor has to make you wonder, too. My first effort took a couple hours, in and out, and even less the second time. How slow, or expensive is their staff? $280 an hour for a neo/trainee to take 2 hours? Oh, by the way, the "whole thing" is, per the service center, "not readily available as the revision that is on your vehicle is on restraint company wide. No one has it and we have it on special order from another state." I am not sure that even makes sense, but it is what they state..
I have some advice for all Tesla owners, especially the owners of older models like ours. This problem is a result of usage-over-time wear and tear...many plug-ins/outs (abrasion) and an abundance of humidity/moisture (corrosion) in the environment, in whatever ratios, take their toll. Our many plug-ins happened because it's now an aging 2015. Abundant humidity happened because it was California, and right on the coast...it rained like hell this year (car is kept outdoors, but under a fabric cover with a flap at the charge port). Therefore it is likely this is going to happen to virtually all Teslas as they age, regardless. I have ordered a set of contact cleaning tools that are made for the "plow connectors". The tools I ordered are little tubular, longitudinally cut in half (sorta like a gutter), files for cleaning the pins from outside the car without any disassembly. Some of the cleaners are like tiny battery terminal cleaners with brushes inside the tubes. Regularly use some electrical contact cleaner and corrosion prevention on your power plugs and the pins. And what the heck...I suppose you could ask your service center to evaluate the condition of your charge port during a visit for whatever other reason you go there.

Attachments

• 20230608_150626.jpg
    20230608_150626.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 62
Addendum:
Tesla finally found the part...NOT! We now have a proper (i.e. legally acceptable in California) estimate which itemizes the parts and labor. The estimate lists two parts , #1005612-00-C, and #1026041-99-J, which can be found online at various sites, with pictures of the parts. Correct me if I am wrong, but are these not just different versions ( evolutions, if you will ) of the same part, both named the same "inlet port assembly" or "charge port assembly". Only one of these parts can be installed at a time, yet Tesla itemizes both on the invoice. Tesla does not say "either this (wrong) part or that (wrong) part". Instead, Tesla adds both ($605 and $385 respectively) to the total of the estimate of $990 parts and $377.40 labor to total $1367.40.
I think the diff in the two parts is the automatic open/close feature of newer versions vs older ones. It is not inspiring me that Tesla apparently doesn't know which one of these is the proper one for this vehicle. It is not inspiring me that Tesla seems to be absolutely clueless about this issue with their vehicles. It is not inspiring me that Tesla's technical expertise in evaluating and diagnosing the issue seems beyond their capabilities. I mean, c'mon, man, I diagnosed it...because it is so goddamn simple!
It IS inspiring me to file a claim with the authorities over the hodge-podge mishandling of our problem, the months' long rescheduling of the service date as they tried to locate the (WRONG!) parts. Think about it...our car would have been rendered virtually useless, essentially un-chargable, if we had to rely on their talents to fix this.
I can easily imagine them replacing the $600 part, learning that it isn't the fix, then realizing what the actual fix is, replacing the data cable, too, then saying they needed all the parts to make it work...$600 of parts not needed and $50(?) worth of the proper part...billed at a total of $650, not $50, just to cover their asses. I have no idea (well, yes I do, to be honest) whether or not Tesla examines and pro-actively services the power ports along with tire-pressure or coolant levels or windshield washer fluid etc. they check at any service visit. It should be.
Our problem has not recurred since my simple fix described in my previous post. My advice stands: buy the file kit and some contact cleaner for your power inlet port and power cord (please de-energize your power cord before blasting the hell out of all the holes (pointed down so residue can flush out) with contact cleaner).
The pics are of various evolutions of the part # I actually need. The 3-pin plow-connector end is the same for all these examples, with what appears to be modifications to the ground lead terminal connector (some look straight, some look angled) at the other end. I used one of those here depicted to provide a part number to Tesla, which they claimed was not a part number they could find. I bet they slaved their technical asses off to try to find what I was talking about...hah. (Tesla motto: don't search for the $50 part if you can foist off the $605.00 one instead).

Attachments

• tesla model s data cable part 1006033 00 B.jpg
    tesla model s data cable part 1006033 00 B.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 28
  • tesla model s data cable part tag 1065730 00 B 1.jpg
    tesla model s data cable part tag 1065730 00 B 1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 26
  • tesla model s data cable part 1065730 00 C.jpg
    tesla model s data cable part 1065730 00 C.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 36