Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Charging with Mobile Connector Fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging my Model 3 SR+ at home using the mobile connector which came with the car. It is plugged into an outdoor 14-50 outlet on the garage. After about 9 months I started getting occasional interrupted charging errors. Finally arranged for a mobile service appointment. They diagnosed it remotely as a bad mobile connector. They arrived, plugged in a new mobile connector, checked tire pressure, topped off the washer fluid and were gone in 15 minutes. No charge for either the new connector or service appointment.

My garage is too small for parking and installing a wall charger, so I'd like to use the mobile connector long-term. There are holes on the side of the mobile connector. Wanting to provide better weather protection for the mobile connector, I've built an enclosure around the 14-50 outlet. Until I add a door, a plastic bag covers the connector to keep wind blown rain off of it. I've included pictures of the mobile connector enclosure.

Front View of Mobile Connector Enclosure

Side View of Mobile Connector Enclosure

Yes, the weight of the mobile connector will pull on the NEMA adapter. That could lead to a slight separation of the NEMA adapter from the mobile connector and/or strain on the 14-50 plug on the outlet. I think anything you do to keep the weight of the mobile connector off the adapter/socket, whether it's supported by a rubber band, rope, string or permanently mounted to the garage/enclosure, would be helpful.

As it looks now, the whole NEMA adapter/mobile connector is hanging off the 14-50 outlet and when you are moving the charge cable out to your car, any motion will be transferred to the outlet and the pins of the 14-50 plug.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Make sure that your 14-50 receptacle is oriented so that the mobile connector cable is pointing down. This will almost eliminate the strain on the connector. Also make sure you you use a good quality 14-50 receptacle (virtually anything but Leviton).