Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent connection to phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Occasionally, when I walk up to my mod 3, it doesn't recognize my phone so the car remains locked. If I try pulling the door handle several times, it usually connects and the door opens (once in a while I have to get out my Tesla key and use it). I'd say it happens about 10-15% of the time. Anybody else have this issue? Thanks!

Occasionally, when I walk up to my mod 3, it doesn't recognize my phone so the car remains locked. If I try pulling the door handle several times, it usually connects and the door opens (once in a while I have to get out my Tesla key and use it). I'd say it happens about 10-15% of the time. Anybody else have this issue? Thanks!
Yes, this happened to me more often than not. About 80% of the time. I mentioned this to the mobile tech when he came for another issue and he said I should keep the Tesla app running in the background. So I started doing this but still it doesn’t work at least 50% of the time and usually I have to unlock a door first.

iPhone or Android?

If it's Android P, go into the app permissions and enable unrestricted data and disable battery optimization for the Tesla app. I've had those settings on my Pixel 3xl for many months and I can't remember the last time I had a problem.

Also, bluetooth doesn't penetrate water. And your body is mostly water. So front pockets are better than back pockets.

It seems a mix of WiFi and Bluetooth. In a strong
WiFi field it acts more reliable. If the App is running
in the foreground it helps a lot too. But in a lot of
situations it can take say 30 seconds. The car has
also refused to start, demands the card, even though
the car was opened with the App. Can be infuriating.

They suggest putting the phone in Airplane mode, then
back to normal, so the connections reinitialize. Just
what you need when you're chased by cannibals and
need to get going NOW.

iPhone or Android?

If it's Android P, go into the app permissions and enable unrestricted data and disable battery optimization for the Tesla app. I've had those settings on my Pixel 3xl for many months and I can't remember the last time I had a problem.

Also, bluetooth doesn't penetrate water. And your body is mostly water. So front pockets are better than back pockets.

Thanks! I'll give your suggestion a try! Tesla still had much to learn to get the s/w sorted out. Noting other issues that have been posted, I'd really like Elon to focus on existing bugs and spend less time on adding games, etc.

It seems a mix of WiFi and Bluetooth. In a strong
WiFi field it acts more reliable. If the App is running
in the foreground it helps a lot too. But in a lot of
situations it can take say 30 seconds. The car has
also refused to start, demands the card, even though
the car was opened with the App. Can be infuriating.

They suggest putting the phone in Airplane mode, then
back to normal, so the connections reinitialize. Just
what you need when you're chased by cannibals and
need to get going NOW.

I know my WiFi field is weak (I added a modem extender closer to my garage but the signal is still pretty weak). I've had all the same experiences and tried airplane on/off trick also. Come on, Elon!....fix this stuff!

Doesn't happen to me often, since, I believe it uses bluetooth...

I heard the same before I got my Tesla.

Carried a key with my just incase since then

However, stopped with the physical card, never had a need for it..works for me just fine..

Yeah....sometimes I get in the car with the phone app and then it keeps asking me for the card! If I wave the phone around, everything is fine! Not a deal-breaker but irritating!