TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Intermittent Drivetrain Noise

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Shadowjack, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Shadowjack

Shadowjack Member

During a recent 1,000 mile trip, I noticed my Model S 60D would make a faint noise under acceleration from the front of the car that sounded a little like a diesel engine. Often times, it would be masked by tire or wind noise. The more I pushed the accelerator, the louder the noise would become, but it continued at the same pitch and speed. It only seemed to manifest when the car had been going 70+ mph for a while and disappeared once the car was going slower for a while. It didn't really sound like the milling noise people have posted on YouTube. Has anyone experienced this?

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

others have found similar sounds... turned out to be flapping body panel parts, front, lower

hits a resonant frequency (pitch) driving faster raises amplitude (loudness)

it wasn't a matter of loose or missing fasteners, just excessive flexing and rattling at speed due to wind

3. Shadowjack

Shadowjack Member

Seems like that might be different from what I was experiencing. I could only hear the sound when pushing the accelerator. The more I pushed, the louder it was, even if the car's speed wasn't changing that much. I'd hear nothing when coasting at the same speed.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

CV joint maybe..

Can you feel any lumpiness?

5. Shadowjack

Shadowjack Member

The car is smooth overall; it just makes the sound under the circumstances I described. It has less than 2,000 miles on it so far.