Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Front Parking Sensor Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd settle for not being able to drive my 75k car into a wall tbh ;)

Hopefully you left that convenient license plate holder there to nicely fight off that nasty wall.

I agree, I got really used to the familiar droning of the sonar as I parked but I use my rear view camera to figure it out based on the garage apron threshold. Its pretty much automatic but I started getting this issue a couple months ago.

Reactions: Cooker
Hopefully you left that convenient license plate holder there to nicely fight off that nasty wall.

I agree, I got really used to the familiar droning of the sonar as I parked but I use my rear view camera to figure it out based on the garage apron threshold. Its pretty much automatic but I started getting this issue a couple months ago.
That's exactly what I do now! Yep, the licence plate and strategically placed camping mat saved me this time!

Reactions: croman
same here, new model s, only drove two weeks, and front sensors has stop working two times for me, happen after i made some changes in setting while drving the car. First time almost ran into my garage wall, after then, if i dont see distance warning, i will just use my instinct to judge, lol

Both time with poor weather tho, snow and rain... symptoms goes away next day... no idea why

January 17 Model S here. Worked fine until I was upgraded from 2017.32 to 2017.44
No upgrade fixed it since. Temperatures have nothing to do with it.
Long range more back-switch might be it, I have 2 20 min legs I usually drive (City driving), sometimes they work after 20 min, sometimes they don't.
Once I drove around 1hr and parked, they came back for like 2s then disappeared again. Appalling.

I’m starting to agree with the temperature influence. The front 2 sensors haven’t been working since the cold weather started. Today it’s 57 deg and to my surprise they’re working. 50 degrees seems to be the cutoff for me. Maybe defective cold sensitive sensors that Tesla needs to address?

I’m starting to agree with the temperature influence. The front 2 sensors haven’t been working since the cold weather started. Today it’s 57 deg and to my surprise they’re working. 50 degrees seems to be the cutoff for me. Maybe defective cold sensitive sensors that Tesla needs to address?

Can't be. I've had my car for a year and went through one winter without issues. Its definitely firmware based (my issues only started with .42) and it is transient (idiopathic). Its just random fluctuations (its also 59F today and mine haven't worked all day).

Reactions: daktari
Service centre looked at mine last week....in the dry...worked fine. I pushed back and so they opened it up and found that water had been getting in around the sensors as the covers weren't fitted correctly. They have refitted them and I've had no issues since (one week)

@croman On my car, and apparently others, it it definitely temperature related, either in software of hardware. I have been keeping a log for almost a month now of when it works and not vs the temperature. 44F and above, it works; below 43F, does not work. It is happening in Great Britain and Switzerland. Apparently a service center in Switzerland thinks that the rubber seals around the sensors are the problem and is trying replacing them. Note, if everyone on this thread is not already aware of it, there is a similar thread on Tesla forums, with the title "Forward Parking Sensors Failed" I'll try to post a link here: Forward parking sensors failed | Tesla

To add my 2 cents. I'm having the same problem, front sensors failing at what seems to be a random pattern. I'll start taking notes on the temp when it works or doesn't work, but I know I've had it work when it's really cold (< 32F) and it has also worked when it's warmer (> 50F), but it also has failed in both conditions also. This also started with firmware > .32. It worked perfectly previously (went from .32 to .44+)

I don't believe weather has anything to do with this error since they worked perfect last winter from early March 17. They have worked in snow, slush, rain and cold temps before failing this autumn. Only thing could be corrosion of course, since corrosion disabled one of my repeater cameras.

Ok I had a service appointment last week where they didn't do anything except for analyzing the sensors (they were supposed to remove and properly reattach the static glass roof, but they effed up the schedule).
They didn't have the seals in storage (of course), so next time everything will (hopefully) be done.
Interestingly for the past few days since, I've had significantly fewer failures. I had some, but nowhere near as many as before.
Temperatures have gone up a little to 8-10°C, but that doesn't have anything to do with it as these are the same temperatures which were there when the failures began to begin with.

To me, there still seems to be a connection to FW .42+, because that's when it started happening to me. Let's hope the seal replacement works the wonder.

Considering they might have detached and reattached connections during analysis, corrosion might indeed play a role. I didn't get any salted water before the failures though. That usually locks my brakes up horribly if left sitting over night...

Service centre looked at mine last week....in the dry...worked fine. I pushed back and so they opened it up and found that water had been getting in around the sensors as the covers weren't fitted correctly. They have refitted them and I've had no issues since (one week)

@Cooker has the problem been resolved for you, so far at least? Mine are intermittent and I’m leaning towards the software bug but could just as easily be water ingress. Which SC did you go to so I can mention them when speaking to mine?

@Cooker has the problem been resolved for you, so far at least? Mine are intermittent and I’m leaning towards the software bug but could just as easily be water ingress. Which SC did you go to so I can mention them when speaking to mine?

Mine is still problematic. I have now had it confirmed by SC that this is a known problem and a firmware fix will be applied to resolve it (no date yet). I have an email to this effect.

Thank you for the continuing reports. I should remove the "intermittant" from this thread's subject line, though. I cannot recall the last time the front parking sensors actually worked.

I'm very glad to hear that Tesla is aware of the issue and, at least, has it on their "to do" list.

I've been having similar/related issues with my 2016 90D recently. Definitely intermittent. I have not noticed it not seeing something, but it seems phantoms and/or things as much closer than they really are. Lots of that cryptic bong-bong-bong chiming (accompanied by no explanatory info visible to the driver -- does that bug anyone else?) when I'm nowhere near hitting anything.

One thing that's really odd is that when autoparking it will bong and even say STOP but it doesn't stop autoparking -- as if the autopark system doesn't listen to whatever is producing these near-object "false positives". Either that, or it isn't "seeing" anything and I'm just lucky it hasn't run into something yet.

Another odd thing is that the distance measurements shown in the display don't seem to reflect this problem.

The SvC is sending someone out on Friday to take a look. They didn't mention any awareness of this issue, or the above-mentioned possible firmware fix, or any such thing. I'll have to send them a link to this thread.