Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Front Parking Sensor Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local SvC said this morning that they "think" that the 2018.10 firmware released today will fix this. They are pushing me the update now... we'll see.

Let us know because my SC is silent after this hasn't been fixed for months sheet they eyew told it would be fixed. They have consistently said it's a firmware issue from the beginning and that makes the most sense.

We will not actually know it's the fix until no one has issues even in the cold. "Fix" might end up being weather until that changes again come fall.

They have consistently said it's a firmware issue from the beginning and that makes the most sense.

Why does firmware make the most sense? It seems like the least likely explanation to me -- why would firmware cause a problem in the front two sensors but not any of the other ones? I have long thought it was a hardware problem, that they probably didn't understand the problem until fairly recently, and they have been hopeful that they can work around the hardware problem in software.

Why does firmware make the most sense? It seems like the least likely explanation to me -- why would firmware cause a problem in the front two sensors but not any of the other ones? I have long thought it was a hardware problem, that they probably didn't understand the problem until fairly recently, and they have been hopeful that they can work around the hardware problem in software.

I think because people reported that the sensors were working just fine until they got a new firmware version, and then they became flaky.

Reactions: croman
I think because people reported that the sensors were working just fine until they got a new firmware version, and then they became flaky.

Yup. .40 broke it for me but some only got broken after .42. I had one year of reliable operation until that firmware. Nothing happened to the car and I had it go through one exceptionally brutally cold winter before this winter (and this one had more snow but was overall less extreme in my area).

Who knows though? Hopefully this ends it but I no longer rely or use those sensors. I just get out and summon forward if I need to. I have observed that Summon will keep going if I don't stop it though, so its not ideal.

Reactions: MP3Mike
2018.10 installed. Sensors presently working, but of course it's intermittent, so who knows if it's actually fixed. No mention in the release notes, though I wouldn't expect it to be mentioned. (Release notes only talk about being able to remotely open the trunk and frunk from the phone app, which does work. Very underwhelming.)

2018.10 installed. Sensors presently working, but of course it's intermittent, so who knows if it's actually fixed. No mention in the release notes, though I wouldn't expect it to be mentioned. (Release notes only talk about being able to remotely open the trunk and frunk from the phone app, which does work. Very underwhelming.)
What’s the temperature today where you’re at? If it’s below 40 deg F and sensors are working then it may be promising!

Updated to 18.10 on Saturday and I can confirm that this fixed the parking sensors problem for me. Kudos to tesla for fixing it, but I took around 6 months.

Yeah, 6 months to fix a regression bug introduced by their own firmware changes... it's crazy. And the worst part is the way customer service was handled during those 6 months. I was treated by Tesla at various points like I was crazy, or just overly picky for expecting all the features of my car to work. They closed the support tickets I opened a couple of times simply because the problem was intermittent, as if an intermittent problem doesn't need to be fixed!

So far the longest supposed "fix" lasted about two weeks with no errors, then they came back. Granted, 2018.10.4 is a massive enhancement on many fronts, but I'd be wary. Certainly hoping for the best, seems to work consistently for me as well, upgraded yesterday.

Reactions: TexLaw