Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent HomeLink Problem (Older Genie Opener)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an intermittent issue with my garage door opener when using the Model S's HomeLink where the garage starts to open but then stops immediately. It's almost as if the car is transmitting too long a pulse and the opener is seeing it as two signals (the first causing it to start opening and the second stopping it). This is with an older Genie garage opener. I've never had this problem with any of my other vehicles.

I've tried reprogramming the car's HomeLink transmitter multiple times with no luck. Programming with the car in the garage does seem to reduce the occurrence of the issue as opposed to programming in front of the garage (IIRC, the latter is recommended by the Tesla instructions).

Anyone else seen anything like this? Any suggestions for a fix or workaround?

Some of the other posts recommended that before you program your Tesla Homelink, change the battery on your garage opener. It helps the Tesla behave exactly like a opener with fresh batteries. Some others have identified the LED light bulbs in their garage door openers were interfering with the Homelink signals. Changing the light bulbs cleared up the problems. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I just installed all new automatic LEDs in my garage (it's like an operating room now!) and have a few instances where the door didn't recognize my command from the car when requesting a close. Uh oh!:eek:

Apparently there are LED bulbs made for garage openers that do a better job of not causing interference. You may want to look into those.

Edit: Here's a post with the link to one, and information that it works well with Homelink--
Using Homelink

Last edited:
In the process of following Nick's suggestion to train with new batteries in the opener, I realized what could be another source of my original problem. Tesla's instructions say to hold down the garage opener button during training until the headlights flash, which takes a good 15+ seconds from initial press. That may be training a much longer pulse than is expected/tolerated by the opener. Disregarded the Tesla instructions and trained with a shorter press this time. I'll see over the next few days if that helped.