Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent LTE/3G reception - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
For the last few months I have been having an issue where I have a loss of connectivity for a few minutes - I will have no cell reception or the LTE or 3G indicator will show only 1 bar and Slacker fails to load music. This happens almost every time I am driving my car for 30 minutes or so - and it may happen right away or it may happen later. There should be no reason for bad cell reception as my phone (I am on Rogers) shows a full five bars and I am in the middle of Toronto.

Anyone else have similar issues?

FYI - my car is a 2014/15 Model S P85D with an upgrade from LTE to 3G.

I haven't heard any official word but my best guess is network capacity issues. The LTE wireless network is just connecting to your car to Tesla's servers somewhere (through Rogers or Bell or whoever that is acting as a wireless router, essentially). If the backhaul connection is failing, it will show up as no connectivity. I don't know for certain but this would explain things (since as you said, your cell phone reception is fine). This could be a result of many new cars coming online from deliveries and the network capacity hasn't been scaling well.

Note that the Canadian carries can easily add 1000+ users per day onto the network. Tesla is producing less cars than that... so again, it points towards Tesla's network capacity.

That's the typical throttling at Tesla VPN server side. Similar to the phone data plan we have, Tesla buys certain amount of data from carriers ie rogers/bell/etc. The Q3 Model 3 push means more users; V9 push means more data consumption. If the total exceeds the amount of contract data, Tesla will have to pay more for the overflow. If wifi is used, the browser loads much faster than full-bar of LTE. This confirms no throttling from Tesla's VPN server to internet.

The question is: what level of service is Tesla willing to provide, to save $ for less satisfactory user experience or to spend more to increase the data cap?

Maybe, but I would have thought that the LTE/3G indicator is strictly indicative of the signal between the car and the wireless provider -I.e. Rogers or Belus and that it has nothing to do with connectivity back to Tesla's servers. I find that it is usually fixed by a reboot. Problems like this were prevalent for Canadian owners about three years ago.

Reactions: richyrich
Maybe, but I would have thought that the LTE/3G indicator is strictly indicative of the signal between the car and the wireless provider -I.e. Rogers or Belus and that it has nothing to do with connectivity back to Tesla's servers. I find that it is usually fixed by a reboot. Problems like this were prevalent for Canadian owners about three years ago.

I would agree that the number of bars would indicate some signal strength. However, a grey with a line crossed through seems to indicate no connectivity to the server. Not necessarily a poor wireless connection.

All Tesla's use a US provider. AT&T iirc. so everybody's roaming, hence crappy Cdn coverage. Lead technician at a service centre told me this. Why its been sucking more lately than before... who knows... maybe the increase in cars roaming in the territory has an impact?

I've been having issues a plenty with data connectivity, especially recently (possibly correlated to V9). I've been working with a tech at Tesla on it, but so far, limited progress. They keep asking for more timestamps to check into -- given them about 5-10 already. Mine started with reporting voice recognition issues, but they are treating it as a data connectivity issue.

For me, it exhibits as any or some of the following:
  • streaming audio not working (independent of the Slacker server issues that were happening)
  • map tiles (segments) not loading
  • voice commands not working (just not sending to the server and timing out)
  • web browser unable to load pages (no indication or progress or timeout)
  • web browser bandwidth very poor (using fast.com very limited - ~200-800 kbps instead of 20-80 Mbps)
  • showing network disconnected on top row icon
I think their cellular stack is completely mucked up in some way. Having been in the cellular business for a bit, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Even the vendors of the chips/stacks seem to struggle to get them working properly.

I had some issues early on with LTE (and lots of fallback to 3G), but after an update or two, it seemed to become consistently more reliable, but then in the past 2 updates (especially with 2018.39.x), it has gotten really bad. However, the problems are not clearly linked to a specific software release (at least that is visible to us users -- who knows if they are updating some modules/subsystems behind the scenes or not).

On the roaming comments made by someone above -- that doesn't make for poor coverage. The Tesla tech you got the information from doesn't know how cellular systems work. It's the same as if you were on a local network (in general), there can be carrier applied bandwidth limiting etc, but the underlying radio access technology (RAT) is the same, so coverage is identical to being on a local carrier. In the general case, when it's AT&T (which is what Tesla uses I believe), it prefers to roam on the Rogers network.

• Informative
Reactions: sauce and Tezzie
Since the v9 update which I got Friday evening I have had about 3 instances of “no connectivity” errors. 2x in LTE and once in my garage on wifi. Goes away by itself after driving a few minutes. Very annoying.

Since the V9 update, I have had no connectivity at all with my Tesla. For example, I left the house this morning at 9:40 and it’s 10:20– still no connection. Other times connectivity might return after an hour or two. I have loads of cell service on my iPhone, so I don’t understand why it’s not on my 2018 Tesla MS. What do I need to do? Disconnect my phone and reconnected again? Change a setting?

My guess would be Tesla is using some sort of group plan for all the tesla's in Canada that is just roaming, once it hits a data limit someone gets a notification and has to reactivate the roaming on the entire fleet, sorta if you have ever traveled out of Canada on your phone, once you hit the $50 cap you have to reply with a text to rogers to continue roaming.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezzie
The loss of LTE/3G connectivity happened to me at the Port Hope, ON supercharger (during charging) over the weekend which resulted in no notifications of "charging almost complete" and "charging complete". It was pretty much luck that I glanced at the watch and headed back to the car based on the car's estimate of charging time when it started. When I arrived the charging had completed. I checked later on and there were no idle fees charged.

I'm trying to remember to set a reminder for charging time completion so that I don't rely on my "luck" holding out.