Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent noise from back wheels on acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving a RWD LR. I'm not sure how to describe the noise, it sounds like some type of low grinding or traction control, but I hear it every so often on a drive, particularly when I'm first driving out of the neighbourhood. It doesn't matter if I come to a dead stop, hold, or rolling stop, when I hit the accelerator, sometimes there will be this grinding-ish that seems to be coming from the back wheels. It lasts about a second and then disappears. It happens on both turns and going forward, but always on acceleration. I'm not hard on the accelerator either.

I feel like it's happened since changing to the winter rims (Replika R187) but it didn't have this issue last year. My wife thinks it began when the temperature started dipping, which was before we even switched to the winters.

Any thoughts or anyone experienced this?

In my case, it sounds more like there is a bump in the tires, so I will get the noise on a constant interval. It only happens when I first start driving in the morning and only when it's cold outside, and it will disappear by the time I drive 15 blocks or so from my neighborhood.

After that, it is fine.

It seems that something needs to warm up, my guess it may be the breather valve that was replaced a month or so.

btw, when it is cold, the moisture in the right sensor glass gets freeze up, and car complains.

yes i've had this happen on the front motor on my awd model 3. been meaning to ask the service centre about it...sounds like traction control is kicking in even though i'm on dry roads.

Yes, I have a feeling it's the traction control. But I'm not accelerating fast and it happens in dry and wet conditions. The traction control icon doesn't come on either on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck