TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Intermittent steering vibration

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Erick Nelson, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Erick Nelson

Erick Nelson New Member

I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out an intermittent issue I'm having with my model X. Occasionally, every quarter or half mile but not consistently I feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel that lasts for approximately one second. It is similar to the rumble strip on the edge of the freeway. But not as strong. I spoke with a friend of mine who has a model S and he said that he has felt the same thing occasionally in his car. I haven't had a chance to take my car to the shop yet and I'm just curious if anybody out there has had a similar problem.

• Like x 1
  2. McManX

McManX Member

Lane departure warning on or off?

3. outie

outie Active Member

That sounds exactly like lane departure warning to me.

4. MXFan

MXFan Member

Yes, lane departure warning. Sometimes even when you know you didn't go over a line, you are close enough that the car thinks you did and vibrates the steering wheel anyway.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Erick Nelson

Erick Nelson New Member

Oh my goodness. That explains why I don't feel it when I'm using auto staring. LOL. That feature was just recently downloaded in my car and I never even thought about that. Thank you so much!

6. Erick Nelson

Erick Nelson New Member

Auto steering*. Just confirmed that the feature is on. Thank you again everyone.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Sometimes lane departure warning will get a false positive and vibrate the wheel because it thinks here is a line when there really isn't. Happens a lot more on local roads.

8. timx

timx Member

Happens all the time for me on curves where there's an asphalt seam in the road that's different than the painted lines.

9. Ryshaw

Ryshaw Member

Thanks @ericK and all who replied. I had the exact same thing going on with my new MX, but quickly found the answer thanks to this thread.