Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent vibration at 20-50 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago I noticed my 2015 70D had developed a significant shudder, most prominent at around 30-4 mph. The steering wheel was visibly oscillating back and forth, proportional to car speed. I had had my snow tires/wheels put on a week or two earlier, so figured it was probably related to them - maybe a wheel weight had come off or something. I took it to my trusted tire shop, and they rebalanced all four wheels and aligned the car, and found that one wheel was bent. They moved the bent wheel from the front to the rear, to see if that would reduce the vibration it was causing. It was slightly better, but not much. So I got a replacement wheel, which they put on yesterday (and balanced it).

The vibration has reduced, and doesn't seem to always show up, but sometimes still does. I just went for a ten minute drive, and for the first half it didn't vibrate at all. Then it started showing up, varying in intensity, and bring most noticeable around 20-40 mph. Even before having the wheels balanced, it went away at highest speeds.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm tempted to have my summer tires/wheels put back on to see if it goes away.

I want to clarify - this isn't a high speed vibration like some I've read about here (someone described it as like an electric toothbrush). This is more of a wobble. And while I feel it mostly in the steering wheel, it can also be felt through the seats (my son says he likes it).

I've read a lot of posts about foam coming loose in tires, causing a vibration - but it seems to be predominantly in new M3s (and Goodyear tires). I have Michelin X-ice tires on right now. Does anyone know if they have foam in them?
Also, I've seen people mention getting a Road Force balance - the shop I use (Sullivan Tire) does use Hunter Road Force systems for balancing.
Maybe a tire is warped? (perhaps the one that was on the bent wheel) Also, it seems like the wobbling is worse when everything is cold.
Could a bad tie rod cause this?

I also read that sometimes the grills in the front bumper can cause a vibration when they don't operate correctly. We had a vibration at about 70 on one trip which went away on its own. I fiddled with the grills and one made a distinct click noise and then no vibration??

• Informative
Reactions: Gadget-X
Do you have AWD? If so and the vibration is amplified by acceleration you may have the infamous CV joints problem that requires front axels replacement.
The standard CV check - driving in circles with all left/all right - may or may not detect it. Depending on the severity of the issue.

Do you have AWD? If so and the vibration is amplified by acceleration you may have the infamous CV joints problem that requires front axels replacement.
The standard CV check - driving in circles with all left/all right - may or may not detect it. Depending on the severity of the issue.
I do have AWD, but the vibration isn't amplified during acceleration - it actually lessens.
I talked to someone at the tire place, and he said it sounds like a steel belt has slipped/separated/broken in one of the tires. I didn't know this could happen, but the symptoms seem to match:
The tires are about 8 years old, but still have a fair amount of tread (when I got my car in 2018, I bought a set of wheels with slightly used snow tires from someone who had moved to California shortly after buying snow tires for their car when they were in Canada, and didn't use them for a year or two). Balancing the wheels doesn't solve this issue, since the tire is essentially "out of round". The wheel balancer will say the wheel is balanced - and it is - but it's not perfectly round, so it will cause an up-and-down vibration during driving.
He said that often it's not out of round enough for them to visually identify it, so it may be hard to tell which one is the culprit. But, based on that site linked above, it's definitely one of the rear ones (it says if it's a front one, the vibrations are worse at high speeds, while for the rear it's worse at low speeds).
Not sure which of the rears it is though. It feels like it's coming from the left side of the vehicle. The right rear is the one that had the bent wheel (the bent wheel was on the front right, but they moved it to the rear, since that would generally reduce the vibrations. But it didn't make much of any difference. Based on that, I'm thinking it's probably the left rear, since moving the ones on the right didn't change things - and it's never vibrated more at higher speeds). So, I'm thinking about having that one tire replaced.
Tires are about $300 each. If replacing this one tire fixes it, that's fine. Hopefully I'm right about which one is the culprit, and won't need to keep replacing more tires.

It is more about circumference mismatch that triggers the ATC rather than slippage on the road. If the speed difference is outside of normal the ATC will be constantly engaged. My tire shop does not recommend more than 5k difference (on ICE, EV is probably lower).
Some shops offer tire shaving but that does not look safe.

Actually I just got a new set of blizzaks and my old set did not vibrate - but my new set vibrates only when the wheel is off center a few degrees all under 20 mph then disappears at highway speeds.

Tire Rack swapped out the complete set and installed a new set with the identical issue - I remounted my summer tires one by oneon the front and the issue was not related to a single tire but just the snows on the front.

I am thinking somehow Blizzak changed the construction (making it cheaper) and causing a weird vibration at low speeds with the load of the vehicle.

I'm going to try a different brand and see what happens - I just remounted my 22's tonight - I know I'm risking death in Michigan but the car drives perfectly normal now - it is definitely the snow tires.