TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Internal Alcoa mailing re: Tesla

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by MartinAustin, Sep 16, 2013.

1. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

My girlfriend's dad works at Alcoa and obviously they're pretty pleased about how their aluminum is turning out in the Model S. Here's an internal mailing that he forwarded to me -

image001.png

2. Park2670

Park2670 Member

There are many proud investors, and manufacturers that can take some credit for this incredible car.

3. mountaineer

mountaineer Member

Great to see this!

Questions:

1. how many pounds of aluminum does a model S use?
    2. When an accident happens, how much more expensive it is to fix than a car with steel body?

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Thanks for posting; very interesting! And, while I hope not pure propaganda, this statement needs some investigation:

aluminum.PNG

5. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I met Shawn Murtha when I loaned my Model S to Alcoa for their annual Board of Directors meeting back in June. He enjoyed driving a Tesla, that is for sure!

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

If it's internal, do you have copyright to post it here? Sorry to be pedantic, but we also get irked when journalists copy our stuff without permission so we should respect others.

7. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Nigel, well put.
    But...glad I saw this - I always note, as at a Car Show in MA this past weekend, that the car is made from All-American Alcoa Aluminum, as I give her hind quarters a knock. The car I mean.

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Wasn't Alcoa holding Elon "hostage" for a bit late last year?! :) (as I recall, there was this interview he was doing when someone pushed some paperwork in front of him showing how much Alcoa was asking for the aluminum; Elon wondered aloud half-jokingly if he should start an aluminum plant next!)

This reminds me of a bit from Steve Jobs's biography where Jobs pays tribute to the young CEO of Corning whose Gorilla Glass made the first iPhone's hardy glass touchscreen happen.