Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internal Camera Logs - when are they uploaded and how long are they stored for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I read a post here last year that mentioned the internal camera on the model 3 was included on a crash log. I now wonder how often the internal camera sends logs to Tesla. I've read through Tesla's data collection and data sharing policies. This is what I understand so far:

1. EDR records (but does not save) data related to a crash. It will save when a crash is detected. If the consumer obtains the EDR data, it won't contain video. I'm unsure if Tesla's EDR records and uploads video.

2. Tesla's access to telematics seems to be anything and everything related to the car, at any time. These events are first recorded on the car then later uploaded to Tesla. I'm not sure how long Tesla stores this data for. I imagine the interior camera would be grouped under telemetry.

3. Tesla's data sharing policy outlined in the car's opt-out menu only mention exterior cameras. I don't think the interior camera is grouped with the data sharing policy settings.

Could anyone familiar with Tesla's logging policies elaborate on when the interior camera logs may be uploaded to Tesla and how long they may be stored for? I understand I can put a piece of tape in front of the camera, but I'd really like to get a sense of how Tesla is handling camera log uploads since we know that the interior camera must be recording at all times.

I do not believe there’s any indication that the internal camera is ever used right now. There’s definitely legal issues with having it turned on in some jurisdictions because in some locations you are not permitted to record people without their express permission.

Your assumption would contradict the crash report I noted above, which did include footage from the internal camera. We can safely assume it is used, at times. The question is...when is it used?
There was one post by someone claiming to have seen in a crash log about a year ago. If the internal camera truly is recording, then that would create a problem for Tesla because it's outright illegal in many jurisdictions. Even the data sharing agreement explicitly only referrs to internal cameras. I doubt Tesla would expose themselves to both civil and criminal violations. So until there's more evidence that camera is recording, I'll continue assuming it does not.

Reactions: Runt8
There was one post by someone claiming to have seen in a crash log about a year ago. If the internal camera truly is recording, then that would create a problem for Tesla because it's outright illegal in many jurisdictions. Even the data sharing agreement explicitly only refers to external cameras. I doubt Tesla would expose themselves to both civil and criminal violations. So until there's more evidence that camera is recording, I'll continue assuming it does not.

Sorry. Had to fix that typo.