Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internal docs indicate Tesla to allow salvaged vehicles back on Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main thing would be, what does all that cost? Reading the article, its 2 separate inspections. Given that the reason that most people who would even consider a salvage vehicle is "cost", if the cost of these inspections is prohibitive, Tesla can "appear to comply" but not really comply.
I wonder if they get pressure from states they sell cars in to reenable SC. The fact that states will register a branded title vehicle shows compelling desire to put salvage cars into the marketplace and that seems to contradict with what Tesla had done - cutting off SC. So now they're complying, in a way, but making it difficult. States that register salvage cars don't add any extra burden on charging a car and that's what contradicts what Tesla had done. The whole thing is a grift, to me.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
So now they're complying, in a way, but making it difficult. States that register salvage cars don't add any extra burden on charging a car and that's what contradicts what Tesla had done. The whole thing is a grift, to me.
1. Not difficult. use app, request service. Pay funds. Solved.
2. (Many) States DO require inspections and vin verification on salvage vehicles.
3. Grift? They’re using an employee to verify the vehicle’s high voltage system, work on a vehicle requires an invoice in many states.

I understand the “to me”, but it’s pretty simple logic to understand their (current) position in charging for a service to allow owners onto /their/ network.
Still have the option for ccs or chademo without their help on a 3/Y (and no extra magic touches from some 3rd party).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
After I was able to charge my Salvaged Model 3 at a Supercharger and got billed for it, I went to two Superchargers yesterday and got a message in the lower left of the screen that Supercharging was not enabled. I am back to ground Zero, and I do not know why I was allowed to charge two weeks ago.

Attachments

• 255809CE-DA94-48E3-A668-CA943EDD27F0.jpeg
    255809CE-DA94-48E3-A668-CA943EDD27F0.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 950
  • A4B06318-E92E-40D9-88B0-CA6A2E2CD7BA.jpeg
    A4B06318-E92E-40D9-88B0-CA6A2E2CD7BA.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 104
  • CC7B4256-17B4-4B89-AF46-D5A964B46CD1.jpeg
    CC7B4256-17B4-4B89-AF46-D5A964B46CD1.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 119
We recently acquired a second Tesla…a 2020 Model Y with a salvage title…long distance w FSD And 37,000 miles. Looks and performs like new.
I have an appointment tomorrow to have it certified for use on SuperChargers. I have seen others say they were charged $350 to $560. Their preliminary quote for my car was $793. From having my S once before for a totally different issue, the actual charge ended up being almost 90% less than their quote. will let y’all know tomorrow both the final cost and the time it takes.

Attachments

• 2F1BBE0E-93F8-441C-864C-6E2003CB3345.jpeg
    2F1BBE0E-93F8-441C-864C-6E2003CB3345.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 126
We recently acquired a second Tesla…a 2020 Model Y with a salvage title…long distance w FSD And 37,000 miles. Looks and performs like new.
I have an appointment tomorrow to have it certified for use on SuperChargers. I have seen others say they were charged $350 to $560. Their preliminary quote for my car was $793. From having my S once before for a totally different issue, the actual charge ended up being almost 90% less than their quote. will let y’all know tomorrow both the final cost and the time it takes.

After I was able to charge my Salvaged Model 3 at a Supercharger and got billed for it, I went to two Superchargers yesterday and got a message in the lower left of the screen that Supercharging was not enabled. I am back to ground Zero, and I do not know why I was allowed to charge two weeks ago.
Sorry to hear that. I was just informed by the service technician that I will need to have two inspections to have supercharging enabled on my salvaged Model 3. I thought I was getting ripped off after reading some comments here that only one high voltage inspection is needed, but after hearing your experience, maybe it is indeed the case that a separate inspection is required to enable supercharging. That's a bummer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130-082627_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-082627_Tesla.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_20221130-091545_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-091545_Tesla.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20221130-085707_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-085707_Drive.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 139
I'm guessing that because there are hacks to reenable SC to salvage vehicles Tesla has decided to do the hack themselves but inspect the car first.
I honestly think Tesla realized that when they open up the Supercharging network to non-teslas they will loose control over the ability to keep salvaged Teslas off the SC network. I have enabled CCS1 charging on my 2018 Model S so I am pretty sure I will be able to use the Superchargers that Tesla equips with CCS1 cables. I’m thinking about delaying the High Voltage and Fast Charging inspections to check this theory out. Why pay Tesla $800-1000 and only get access to Supercharging when you can spend $700-$800 to install and configure the EU CCS Retrofit Kit and you will get Supercharging AND access to all the other DC fast charging networks?

Reactions: brainhouston
I honestly think Tesla realized that when they open up the Supercharging network to non-teslas they will loose control over the ability to keep salvaged Teslas off the SC network. I have enabled CCS1 charging on my 2018 Model S so I am pretty sure I will be able to use the Superchargers that Tesla equips with CCS1 cables. I’m thinking about delaying the High Voltage and Fast Charging inspections to check this theory out. Why pay Tesla $800-1000 and only get access to Supercharging when you can spend $700-$800 to install and configure the EU CCS Retrofit Kit and you will get Supercharging AND access to all the other DC fast charging networks?
I forget where I read it but the CCS1 adapter is a dumb pass-thru connection so the car will still think it's connecting to a supercharger. I'm not sure this will still prevent charging at a SC but we shall see.

This matches what I was quoted at the New Orleans Service Center. Total of $777 before taxes for the two inspections. $601.25 for the Salvage Title High Voltage Inspection and $175.75 for the Fast Charging Safety Inspection. I attached a picture of the quote for everyone to see.

Attachments

• 97B00B99-C562-4D17-B6DC-DA335AAA422A.png
    97B00B99-C562-4D17-B6DC-DA335AAA422A.png
    418.4 KB · Views: 127
This matches what I was quoted at the New Orleans Service Center. Total of $777 before taxes for the two inspections. $601.25 for the Salvage Title High Voltage Inspection and $175.75 for the Fast Charging Safety Inspection. I attached a picture of the quote for everyone to see.

Interesting that your Fast Charging inspection was much cheaper, and you only needed one. Someone else recently reported needing two that were $300+ each. (In addition to the HV safety inspection.)

Nice. Was SC enabled after passing both inspections on your tesla or has your inspection not been done yet?

Nice. Was SC enabled after passing both inspections on your tesla or has your inspection not been done yet?
I decided to hold off on the inspections and cancelled my appointment. I have installed the European CCS Retrofit on my 2018 Model S, so I now have full CCS1 fast charging capabilities. I want to wait to see if I can use the Tesla Superchargers on the CCS 1 cables they are going to have to install when they allow non-tesla vehicles to charge at SC stations in the near future. I see no reason to pay Tesla $850 to use a capability that I might already have. If I decide to sell my salvaged title vehicle, I will definitely get it inspected, but until then I am happy to keep trying to stick it to Tesla in my own small way 😃!

I want to wait to see if I can use the Tesla Superchargers on the CCS 1 cables they are going to have to install when they allow non-tesla vehicles to charge at SC stations in the near future. I see no reason to pay Tesla $850 to use a capability that I might already have.
It is reported that that doesn't work in Europe where they have already opened some of the Superchargers. I wouldn't expect it to work in NA either. Not to mention it could be a long time.

Reactions: brainhouston
It is reported that that doesn't work in Europe where they have already opened some of the Superchargers. I wouldn't expect it to work in NA either. Not to mention it could be a long time.
Can you point me in the direction of those reports? I was wondering if there was any data about this from Europe, but I hadn't seen anything posted. Would love to read about it if its out there. I don't need to reinvent the wheel by waiting to see if this works if there are already others out there that have proven it doesn't work. Thanks!

Can you point me in the direction of those reports?
There is this report on TMC:

So, I have done THE TEST. I took my salvaged, exported Tesla with SC disabled BUT working CCS, and tried to use a Tesla SC saying that it was a 3rd party car.

Sorry folks, IT DOESN’T WORK. The SC keeps trying to SC, and it doesn’t care I’m telling it through the app that it should treat my car as a 3rd party. And my car refuses to charge, because SC is disabled.

I’m open to try new tests.

I think there is no opposition from Tesla against the trick (i.e. a salvage Tesla ccs charging in a Tesla SC as a non-Tesla vehicle). The point is, due to the logic of the coms between the charger and the vehicle, I found it impossible to make it work. But of course you are welcome to try. Maybe there is a way…

Yeah, I can see the charge for those two inspections to easily be $1k, which is cheaper than buying a clear title Tesla but still not something to take lightly. At this point in my life I think I'd prefer to get a decent deal on a used clean title, there's plenty of that around it seems if one is ready and able to purchase.
Hi! I have a 2019 Tesla Model 3 that is a salvage title. It won’t supercharge but it now has a clean title and i did a salvage inspection through my state. I went to 2 different Tesla today the first one told me it would cost me $1,632.74 and the other one told me around $800. I don’t wanna pay this kinda of money if I knew this was gonna cost me this much money with sales tax and towing and already two state inspections I would’ve just gotten a new car. Is there anyway to work around these prices? It’s outrageous!!!