Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internal Door Handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably going to get peeps shout at me as its probably been discussed before....but the internal door handle thats only meant to be used in emergencies......I have passengers use it even though I tell them not to and explain that it can damage the window.

But it made me think - my BMW I3s (and come to think of it all my other coupes I have had with no window sill) automatically lower the window when using a non electric door handle.

And the Model 3 lowers the window when using the button........so.....

Is there any reason anyone can think of why when using the internal manual door handle, the window could not go down? - Tesla could do this via a software update?

Your thoughts please?!

Assume you mean model 3? The window does drop when using the mechanical release assuming power is available. Dropping down a inch using the emergency level was added awhile ago. Give it a try.

Now the car will complain and throw up a warning only to be used in an emergency, but the window does go down when used. at least it does on mine (verified)

Assume you mean model 3? The window does drop when using the mechanical release assuming power is available. Dropping down a inch using the emergency level was added awhile ago. Give it a try.

Now the car will complain and throw up a warning only to be used in an emergency, but the window does go down when used. at least it does on mine (verified)
I think it only goes down once the door actually tries to open. By which time it could have already caused damage to the window. Whereas the button pulls the window down first before unlocking the door.

As for your passengers, I am still amazed, I've never had anyone do it, I don't think the emergency release is obvious at all, if you want to you can buy (or make) stickers to go on the button to exit.

Reactions: Billionaireboy

Mine does this too, when checked as part of the delivery checklist.

I tell passengers but stickers are probably your best bet :)

Reactions: Billionaireboy