Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

International rectifier aquisition by infineon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else see the graphic of the Model X skateboard on slide 9? I've been thinking that a performance Model X, with 2 motors and all 4 wheels pushing, might go under 4s 0-60; I semi-expect Model X to briefly wear the crown of fastest 0-60 time and maybe quarter mile, out of the Tesla family. (Then I expect AWD Model S to be available, and to take that crown away; ah well).

Anybody else see the graphic of the Model X skateboard on slide 9? I've been thinking that a performance Model X, with 2 motors and all 4 wheels pushing, might go under 4s 0-60; I semi-expect Model X to briefly wear the crown of fastest 0-60 time and maybe quarter mile, out of the Tesla family. (Then I expect AWD Model S to be available, and to take that crown away; ah well).
Hi adiggs , I have to enquire what type of dystopian future you are dreaming up ? Just the thought of sub 4sec vehicles out there that can be purchased by anyone. I think that road rage would be generated within even the most balanced person if the driver in front displayed such poor driving skills that you are unable to unleash the potential of your machine without personal risk. That said, there are a lot of the wrong type of people driving around today and perhaps may I suggest that even the drivers of these performance machines should be required to undergo psychological testing. Back in the day, someone thought it a good idea to rent a Cessna to 18 yr old Mathias Rust who finished up landing in Red Square. I suspect there were later repercussions, with heads rolling, at that particular rental agency.

Regarding dual axle drive. I am not going to rise to the bait on the setting of motor V/Hz and gear ratios. The issue is simply one of power. Maintaining constant acceleration with an induction motor means constant drawbar pull. It is entirely possible, but force times velocity equals power and eventually the battery will be required to supply a current exceeding the 3C rate. That is why - on the quarter mile - the roadster may start off like a 10sec car but by 80 mph acceleration begins declining with increasing speed. It is still impressive and I am sure the old trick of increasing the gear ratio would pay off here. If you are not making 130mph in the 1/4 mile why not sacrifice some top speed for a tad more acceleration ? In fact you could gear for a lower terminal speed than any of your competitors and still produce a better 1/4mile time. Here, the strategy for an electric vehicle is to arrange for the greatest number of motor revolutions over the quarter mile since each rotation represents the delivery of a fixed amount of energy. To a lot of people this is obvious but no one is doing it yet.