Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internet connection not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remote Access is still working in my Tesla. Florida area. Did you try resetting the dashboard? Press and hold both scroll wheels on your steering wheel until the dashboard reboots. Secondly, did you try driving your car to somewhere else that might have a better connection?

So I just picked up my 70D last week and had this issue. It turned out to be a usb thumb drive I had plugged in. Once I removed it and did a reset my internet started working.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW. This was discovered by the engineers at Tesla after I had it on wifi so they could diagnose it.

I have an 85D delivered in March and the 3G and WiFi quit this morning. Reset both the instrument and main displays with no change. iPhone app no longer connects. Waiting for a call back from the Las Vegas service center.

Just got a call this morning from tesla service... They need me to bring the car in to them. Appointment late next week. Amazing how fast we become addicted to the mobile app and internet radio, back to the old way for another week or so :(

I have the same thing, but I see bars on the screen but no E or 3G. And if I reset the center screen it comes back. They opened a case. They pushed an update to me, I was at 249 and got 249, maybe they just reloaded it. But after it's been happening again more frequently it's going in. Oh well. Maybe I'll leave with an LET module (I can dream, can't I).

I have the same thing, but I see bars on the screen but no E or 3G. And if I reset the center screen it comes back. They opened a case. They pushed an update to me, I was at 249 and got 249, maybe they just reloaded it. But after it's been happening again more frequently it's going in. Oh well. Maybe I'll leave with an LET module (I can dream, can't I).
That would be the right thing to do at this point.

The Las Vegas SC sent Ranger "Marlon" to my home today, and after testing and online collaboration with other Tesla reps he replaced the entire center display unit. Apparently the 3G modem failed. He uploaded firmware 251 into the unit, restored all my personal settings and it was good as new. The entire process took about 4 hours. I must say, it was the best service I've ever received from a car company. Kudos and thanks to Marlon and Tesla!

The Las Vegas SC sent Ranger "Marlon" to my home today, and after testing and online collaboration with other Tesla reps he replaced the entire center display unit. Apparently the 3G modem failed. He uploaded firmware 251 into the unit, restored all my personal settings and it was good as new. The entire process took about 4 hours. I must say, it was the best service I've ever received from a car company. Kudos and thanks to Marlon and Tesla!

Very cool! I have a question, after getting the replacement center unit, is you modem still 3g? Or is it LTE?

This has happened to me twice in the past week. The first time, I was trying to listen to TuneIn and was having problems. The second time, TuneIn was broken, so I was listening to Slacker. Both times, it happened in approximately the same location, which leads me to suspect some weird bug with the TuneIn app module and the 3G modem during a cell tower hand-off or something.

I was hoping to give an update as to the problem so we could close out this thread...I had a scheduled appointment last Thursday morning to bring the car into the service center to get the problem corrected and still don't have the car back. It has sat there since Thursday morning, and I just got a call from my service rep telling me they have been very busy and the car has not even gone into the shop. Looks like it may get in there tomorrow. Not the best service when they call you the day before to remind you to bring the car in and then sit on it for five days...like they didn't know they when they called to remind me?!?! Ugh!! :cursing:

Finally, they got my car in the shop! Got it back today. I had already performed a reset of the main console screen at home, then the service rep did the same when I initially brought the car in...before it got admitted. He also tried a reset of the dash display. Both resets did not solve the problem. The problem was solved today when they did a "hard reset of the media system". LTE is working now and i'm rid of the ICE rental! :biggrin:

I once encountered a problem where the 3G modem would not come back on after my Model S had been parked for several days at the body shop with the battery disconnected. Multiple display resets didn't fix the problem but temporarily shutting off the Wi-Fi in settings did. Apparently turning off WiFi will cause the system to hunt for some other method of connectivity and that will force the cellular modem to re-initialize. Once the "3G" indicator pops up on the display, you can go ahead and turn your WiFi back on.

Always worth a try the next time someone encounters this problem.