Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internet connection speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the one year trial of premium connectivity. Have tried running multiple speedtests in multiple locations on the browser using Fast.com and speetest.net. The fastest I can seem to speedtest anywhere in Southern California is a download speed of 5mbps. Does AT&T throttle Tesla's connection, or is the car's interface just slow for the browser or what?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I have not tried checking DL speeds on LTE. Though i did find it odd that I was getting around the same on WiFi. Around 6mbps. My connection at home is 100mbps. I tried both 5ghz and 2.5ghz channels. I'll try LTE and let you know how it goes.

The WiFi antenna is in the passenger side mirror housing. Depending on where your access point is may influence signal strength.

Is putting the passenger visor/mirror down expected to make a difference?

I tried speedtest.xfinity.com over 5G wifi in the garage and got download speeds from 4.4 to 42 Mbps -- rather widely varying, both with the visor was up and down.

My phone got 45 Mbps next to the visor,
81 Mbps outside the car near the visor,
164 Mbps in the house.

Is putting the passenger visor/mirror down expected to make a difference?

I tried speedtest.xfinity.com over 5G wifi in the garage and got download speeds from 4.4 to 42 Mbps -- rather widely varying, both with the visor was up and down.

My phone got 45 Mbps next to the visor,
81 Mbps outside the car near the visor,
164 Mbps in the house.
It’s not in the visor. The antenna is in the passenger rear view mirror. The one that has the label “objects are closer than they seem”. If you have auto fold enabled in settings for the home location try unfolding them.

In my part of the South Bay of So Cal, ATT is one bar on my phone and two in the Tesla.

I did several speed tests over WiFi and the Tesla cell as wel as my phone from the same location in the driveway about 40 ft from the WiFi connection.Both the Tesla and iPhone showed LTE and 2 bars. I only have 50 Mbps in the house but often get upwards of 70 - 80 out of it.

Tesla WiFi averaged 40 Mbps.

Tesla ATT cell averaged 30 Mbps.

iPhone WiFi averaged 50 Mbps.
Slightly above the Tesla.

iPhone ATT LTE averaged 10 Mbps
Well below the Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Transformer