Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internet radio favorites keep going missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have the right scroll wheel mapped to audio source selection? If so you might be unfavoriting by accident: all it takes is a tap on the right scroll wheel. I used to do this pretty frequently, and then I'd have to recover the station from the "recent" list.

I gather this has annoyed a number of owners, and personally I've never wanted to favorite or unfavorite from the steering wheel. In my opinion it was a minor design error to make this feature so readily accessible. An easily activated feature shouldn't make changes to user preferences, and when making changes to user preferences there should be an easy way to undo the change. But I suppose Tesla could fix it any time: remove the (mis-)feature, or map it to something useful.

Reactions: Max*
Do you have the right scroll wheel mapped to audio source selection? If so you might be unfavoriting by accident: all it takes is a tap on the right scroll wheel. I used to do this pretty frequently, and then I'd have to recover the station from the "recent" list.

I gather this has annoyed a number of owners, and personally I've never wanted to favorite or unfavorite from the steering wheel. In my opinion it was a minor design error to make this feature so readily accessible. An easily activated feature shouldn't make changes to user preferences, and when making changes to user preferences there should be an easy way to undo the change. But I suppose Tesla could fix it any time: remove the (mis-)feature, or map it to something useful.

I think that's what I'm doing. Occasionally, I'll try to change the driver dash display to show the trip meter or something else, I I do notice I accidentally activate the audio source option. Is there a way to not have the audio source deal pop up or will that always happen?

I think that's what I'm doing. Occasionally, I'll try to change the driver dash display to show the trip meter or something else, I I do notice I accidentally activate the audio source option. Is there a way to not have the audio source deal pop up or will that always happen?
You can't re-add them by going to "Recently played" select the station and then make it a "Favorite" again.

I've gradually learned to use a "long press" to change the dash displays. It's a little clunky to have the scroll wheel doing three different jobs, but I frequently use it to change the audio source so I've left it there.

But if you don't use that feature, you can press the right hand menu button and change the scroll wheel to do something else. Here's what my manual says on p38, under "Using Right Steering Wheel Buttons":
  • Menu button
    Press to display a menu that allows you to control the following Model S features:
    • All. Allows you to roll the wheel and choose from all available functions (listed next).
    • Climate Temps. Roll the wheel to change the temperature, or press the wheel to turn the climate control system on and off.
    • Fan Speed. Roll the wheel to adjust the speed of the fan used to cool or heat the cabin.
    • Display Brightness. Roll the wheel to change the brightness level of the displays, or press the wheel to restore default settings.
    • Sunroof (if equipped). Roll the wheel to adjust the position of the sunroof.
    • Media Source. Roll the wheel to control what Media Player is playing, or press the wheel to add/remove the currently playing station or audio track as a Favorite.
The menu button is the lowermost of the right-hand steering wheel buttons, just below the scroll wheel. I'd say "Display Brightness" is the most forgiving option, unless you're especially sensitive to the default 100% setting.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888