Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internet speeds via home WiFi or cell phone tethering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine if I have a problem with my car. Bad radio or antenna? 2021 M3 SR+

I still can't get Hulu to work. The rest of the entertainment options are fine. YouTube, Disney+ etc work fine on WiFi or cellular. Hulu is not a game stopper. No big deal if I never get it. I can listen to streaming music via the built in cellular no problem. Not problem with getting updates either so the system is working at a level necessary for the basic functions.

But I wonder if it is not indicative of another problem. Parked in my driveway I am connected to my home WiFi. Full bars. My dual band, 802.11ac WAP is less than 20 feet away through a single exterior wall. No beck or aluminum siding. If I do a speedtest I can only get about 25Mbps down but 18Mbps up. And the download meter starts out very slow and increases jerkily. My service is 480/20. I believe the car only supports 2.4gHz. I should still get 802.11n speeds of 150 minimum up to 300.

If I tether my iPhone 13 I barely get a connection at all. I have 5G service. If I tether to my laptop I can get 400/300 pretty consistently.

Would you please share your experience. I am debating whether to set up a service call or if this is just the way it is.

Since you get Disney+ and Youtube without any issues, the problem might be with Hulu. I haven't tried to access any streaming services on my M3, but in the past whenever I accessed Hulu any place but my home, it seemed to confuse Hulu and I would get a message saying I had used one of 5 chances to access my account before it would be shut down. Ultimately, Hulu shut me down and it took several calls to customer service to fix the situation and find out why it occurred at all. The reason was complicated and I don't want to misquote them, but I do think the problem your having might originate with Hulu rather than your car.

I am trying to determine if I have a problem with my car. Bad radio or antenna? 2021 M3 SR+

I still can't get Hulu to work. The rest of the entertainment options are fine. YouTube, Disney+ etc work fine on WiFi or cellular. Hulu is not a game stopper. No big deal if I never get it. I can listen to streaming music via the built in cellular no problem. Not problem with getting updates either so the system is working at a level necessary for the basic functions.

But I wonder if it is not indicative of another problem. Parked in my driveway I am connected to my home WiFi. Full bars. My dual band, 802.11ac WAP is less than 20 feet away through a single exterior wall. No beck or aluminum siding. If I do a speedtest I can only get about 25Mbps down but 18Mbps up. And the download meter starts out very slow and increases jerkily. My service is 480/20. I believe the car only supports 2.4gHz. I should still get 802.11n speeds of 150 minimum up to 300.

If I tether my iPhone 13 I barely get a connection at all. I have 5G service. If I tether to my laptop I can get 400/300 pretty consistently.

Would you please share your experience. I am debating whether to set up a service call or if this is just the way it is.

If you have a mesh network and have one of those systems that only combines the SSID, I believe the tesla will always choose 2.4ghz. I have a router where I split 2.5 and 5ghz into different SSIDs, and tesla model 3s do support the 5ghz radio in that setup.

With that being said, My 2018 never seemed to "like" the 5ghz signal for downloading updates, even though the access point is 5 feet away in the actual garage with the car (I reconfigured my network to put a WAP in the garage due to poor connection speeds on wifi.

I moved it back to 2.4ghz because I dont need the updates to download faster than when its on 2.4ghz and I get the same general speeds on my 2.4ghz network that you mention (and I have gigabit service, which is actually 940/900 ish, down and up, respectively).

I dont know if that has anything to do with your hulu issue, though. I dont use hulu, and only use netflix and disney+ when I am on the cars cellular connection (in a parking lot or something, waiting for my wife).

If you have a mesh network and have one of those systems that only combines the SSID, I believe the tesla will always choose 2.4ghz. I have a router where I split 2.5 and 5ghz into different SSIDs, and tesla model 3s do support the 5ghz radio in that setup.

On my Google Nest WiFi mesh network, I only have 1 SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz. Both Model 3 and Model X connect to the 5.0 network when I check "info" in the Google Home app for them. I did put one access point in the garage so the signal is very close to the cars and very strong.

I still can't get Hulu to work. The rest of the entertainment options are fine. YouTube, Disney+ etc work fine on WiFi or cellular. Hulu is not a game stopper.
If all other service providers work, other than Hulu, then most likely the matter is with Hulu.

Very few WiFi devices get anywhere close to the theoretical WiFi speeds. And even those speeds are only observable under ideal conditions.
What WiFi router do you have?
If it's one of the defaults you get from your cable company, it definitely leaves a LOT OF room for improvement.
Get one of the mesh WiFi network solutions for your home. Search Amazon for exact match to your particular requirements, or just keep it simple with Google Mesh: https://store.google.com/product/nest_wifi?hl=en-US

HTH,
a

It would seem but it is working for many people. My son has a model Y built in February (before mine) and Hulu works just fine.
Whatever is wrong with the hulu app, it doesn't affect all Teslas. The working theory is that if the time in the hulu live guide does not match the actual clock time, then hulu will sporadically play videos and often not at all. In any case, neither hulu nor Tesla have shown any interest in fixing it beyond the prefunctory "reboot the car" advice.

With that being said, My 2018 never seemed to "like" the 5ghz signal for downloading updates, even though the access point is 5 feet away in the actual garage with the car (I reconfigured my network to put a WAP in the garage due to poor connection speeds on wifi.

I moved it back to 2.4ghz because I dont need the updates to download faster than when its on 2.4ghz and I get the same general speeds on my 2.4ghz network that you mention (and I have gigabit service, which is actually 940/900 ish, down and up, respectively).

I dont know if that has anything to do with your hulu issue, though. I dont use hulu, and only use netflix and disney+ when I am on the cars cellular connection (in a parking lot or something, waiting for my wife).
Similar setup. I have a Ubiquity access point behind an edge router. I have an SSID for the automatic dual band network and one for the 2.4 only network. Oddly, my Tesla has lower latency when connected to the 2.4 only network. Go figure.

If all other service providers work, other than Hulu, then most likely the matter is with Hulu.

Very few WiFi devices get anywhere close to the theoretical WiFi speeds. And even those speeds are only observable under ideal conditions.
What WiFi router do you have?
If it's one of the defaults you get from your cable company, it definitely leaves a LOT OF room for improvement.
Get one of the mesh WiFi network solutions for your home. Search Amazon for exact match to your particular requirements, or just keep it simple with Google Mesh: https://store.google.com/product/nest_wifi?hl=en-US

HTH,
a
I have a Ubiquity UAP-FlexHD WAP behind one of their EdgeRouter X es. The port the WAP is connected to has priority. Next is the port for my VOIP which is actually rarely used. I have only a small amount of bandwidth reserved for that. Third is the wired network.

I can consistently get a TX rate in excess of 1Gbps with my laptop on the 5.0Ghz, 802.11ac protocol. I get a TX rate of 300Mbps on the 2.4 only network with the 802.11n protocol. The 480/20 is actual tested speeds on my laptop. No bottleneck there. A Google Mesh system would be a step down compared to what I am using now. There is not a problem with my network. I've been doing this for decades.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I can consistently get a TX rate in excess of 1Gbps with my laptop on the 5.0Ghz, 802.11ac protocol. I get a TX rate of 300Mbps on the 2.4 only network with the 802.11n protocol. The 480/20 is actual tested speeds on my laptop.

As you probably know, those stats are a bit misleading, unless you have actual 1+Gig link from your house to the ISP. I think you mentioned that your ISP is serving you 480/20 down/up, but that you only get 25/18 in the garage? On your laptop?

1Gbps is just measuring speed between your laptop's WiFi car and the nearest router, and is not indicative of anything else.
Tesla's (and other devices') WiFi card may not perform anywhere close due to a long list of factors (quality of the card, power, antenna type and placement, etc, etc). On top of that, garages have some of the weirdest signal propagation weirdness's and are the worst place to get a decent signal (WiFi or cell) inside the house.

No bottleneck there. A Google Mesh system would be a step down compared to what I am using now. There is not a problem with my network. I've been doing this for decades.

OK, glad to hear you have quality WiFi network in the house.
Then (assuming your assumption is correct), the issue is either with Hulu, or the Hulu's CDN most geo-proximate to your house.

Good luck troubleshooting,
a