Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interpreting the Energy -> Trip Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the attached picture on my first road trip (M3LR). This was at the beginning of the return trip. The destination was a Supercharger.

Why did I have a full green/yellow line in addition to the gray line? I thought the gray line was the prediction and the green line was my actual performance. Why do I have both for the whole trip?

Energy.jpeg

The yellow just means the battery is below 20%. It will be red below 10%.

As for why you have both the gray and green / yellow, it's just helpful to know if you are doing better or worse than the original prediction. If you are doing better, you might be able to postpone a stop. If you are doing worse, you may need to adjust your driving or stop earlier.

The yellow just means the battery is below 20%. It will be red below 10%.

As for why you have both the gray and green / yellow, it's just helpful to know if you are doing better or worse than the original prediction. If you are doing better, you might be able to postpone a stop. If you are doing worse, you may need to adjust your driving or stop earlier.
Let me try to clarify my question.

Why do I have both lines (green and gray) on the graph in the FUTURE?

I'm only 7 miles into the trip but the green/yellow line continues all the way to the end of the trip. Should it only be the gray prediction line in the future and both lines in the past?

Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and KenC
The Green line is the actual line versus the Gray predicted. 7 miles in to the trip, you are slightly below the predicted meaning your Wh/m is slightly higher than predicted. If you continue to drive at this rate it is predicting your % at your destination. This green line will continue to move up and down as you continue your trip and the battery % will continue to change.

This is very useful to help determine if you need to slow down or cut back on AC/Heat in order to have adequate % at your destination. Or if your Wh/m improves then the end of the line will move upward indicating a greater % at destination, so you may want to run a little faster or use a little more AC.

Reactions: Big Earl
The Green line is the actual line versus the Gray predicted. 7 miles in to the trip, you are slightly below the predicted meaning your Wh/m is slightly higher than predicted. If you continue to drive at this rate it is predicting your % at your destination. This green line will continue to move up and down as you continue your trip and the battery % will continue to change.

This is very useful to help determine if you need to slow down or cut back on AC/Heat in order to have adequate % at your destination. Or if your Wh/m improves then the end of the line will move upward indicating a greater % at destination, so you may want to run a little faster or use a little more AC.
While that is true that far into the trip, the revised prediction shows him actually ABOVE the gray line, so no need to back off on the consumption (yet anyway). In fact, this particular example illustrates the benefit of seeing the entire graph:

At 7 miles in, Larry is running "below" the predicted SOC, which would lead him to think that he does need to back off on speed or HVAC, but actually that's not necessarily the case, as the prediction shows him doing better than the prediction and ending the trip with 11% SOC instead of the orginally predicted 10%.

The real mystery here is why is this? How is he "behind" now but getting "better" in the future?

I think the reason is captured in the graph at 0 miles. Larry started this "trip" with less SOC than originally predicted. I see this a lot in ABRP's equivalent display, but I haven't noticed it in the Energy display (maybe because I don't use it as much as ABRP's). If the reason is the same, it's because the 0-mile point is really at the conclusion of a charging session and Larry didn't charge up quite as much as the car directed/expected him to, so he started out this leg with a bit less charge than the car expected. But that's okay, because he should make it up en route if he keeps driving the way he was before.

It was cold, and we didn't precondition as we weren't on a charger before departure. The first two miles of the trip were descending a steep mountain road. Could initially underperforming the estimate be due to running the heat and heated seats at the beginning of the trip and the unconditioned battery being unable to take advantage of the regen braking?

Reactions: RTPEV
It was cold, and we didn't precondition as we weren't on a charger before departure. The first two miles of the trip were descending a steep mountain road. Could initially underperforming the estimate be due to running the heat and heated seats at the beginning of the trip and the unconditioned battery being unable to take advantage of the regen braking?
Yeah, that's another possibility as well that I hadn't considered. Either way, you started out with less SOC that the car assumed when the destination was entered, but it would appear that you are outperforming the prediction, so you would "cross over" at some point in the future.

How did the trip actually work out? Were you above or below the 10% that the original prediction predicted (or the 11% of the revised prediction)? I've found the car to be somewhat pessimistic in its initial prediction, but that may just be my driving style.