TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Intro and Seeking Advice!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by peakay, Jan 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. peakay

peakay Member

Hi there,

We are a multi EV family (rooftop solar, Leaf, Fiat 500E) ready for a Tesla, but not wanting to commit the funds on a Model S and waiting impatiently for the M3 (we have 2 deposits down on day 1).

Questions:

- Would getting into any Model S now put us in a better position for getting a Model 3 sooner?

- If yes, would it matter if we bought CPO, new, took over a lease or bought private party?

- What would be the most cost effective way to do this with the idea that we might sell it down the road? The thought is if it helped us get an M3 under the wire with the fed rebates then taking a depreciation hit on the MS wouldn't be so bad, plus we'd be enjoying a nice car.

Thanks! Advice from those in the know is much appreciated.

FWIW, we'd love a Model S, but realistic payments on these things seem to start at around $900/month and go up from there. Yikes! I looked on swap a lease and only 1 assumable MS was under 1k, the rest well north of there. i love cars, but simply don't want to commit that much to one. We were hoping to lease a Bolt EV, but the looks of it are too much of a turn off. My wife has endured driving the Leaf for years and isn't willing to drive an even smaller micro-car at this point.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

#2 Tam, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Yes.

No matter.

What matters is: You need to register with Tesla.com so Tesla knows that you own a Tesla.

In general, I wouldn't bet my decisions based on taxes.

You might be better off by skipping tax credits and pay a full price of $35,000 instead of getting a more expensive Model S in hope of getting a $7,500 tax credit.

By the way, $7,500 tax credits for Model 3 is not guaranteed due to US 200,000 Tesla sales limit.

Roadsters: 2,450
    2012: 2,650
    2013: 22,400
    2014: 31,655
    2015: 50,580
    2016 goal 90,000
    ------------------------

That's about 174,685 cars but less because of global figure, not US sales only.

Also, Tesla Motors Inc and SpaceX employees (14,000+5,000=19,000) would have priority over general population.

3. peakay

peakay Member

Thanks Tam.

Any advice on which config to shoot for to keep our initial costs and depreciation low? A 40kw MS sold near us recently for 39, but the range on those is so low.

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

#4 Tam, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Range is king!

People are content with short range but I have been willing to save money to get a highest range I can which is the coming regular non-Performance 100 kWh battery pack.

The problem is: Electric Vehicle Range is still very expensive.

Thus, if I look at a choice of $39,000 for a MS40 with a range of 125 miles, I would rather save my money and pay $35,000 for 215 mile Model 3.

The issue is: You might have to wait a while, may be 2018, 2019 or even later because most expensive options will be available first and the base range of 215 miles will be on sale last.

5. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Depending on your daily driving requirements, a CPO S60 might be a good bridge car until your Model 3s arrive. If your planning involves selling the Model S to fund the Model 3, I wold probably stay away from an S40.

6. peakay

peakay Member

Thanks. Having been around a while, hazard to guess availability of the M3 for 1st day reservations holders in CA for both non owners and owners (assuming we bought an MS)?

We'd really like to replace our leaf now, but not looking for $900 payments!

7. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Yes, the tax credit is only based on US sales, current estimates on that are about half of worldwide sales, call it between 80 and 90K. However, the 200,000 is not the limit, that is the point where the credit starts to phase out. You can check this thread out for some in depth details and speculation: Tax Credit Clarification But the basic details are that after 200,000 are sold, all the vehicles sold for the rest of the current quarter and all of the next will still receive the full credit. The next two quarters receive half, and the next two get one quarter. Tesla has hinted that will take steps to get as many people the credit as they can.

• Informative x 1
  8. Tam

Tam Active Member

For those who are budget conscious, I would advise to wait for affordable Tesla Model 3 which could mean a very long wait (unless Tesla has changed its way and would ramp up so quickly unlike the past.)

Otherwise, if you can spare a few dollars in your budget, I would get a Model S because of unpredictable successful Model 3 ramp up timing.

9. Trips

Trips Member

Originally Tesla was not planning for mass production until 2020. With that being pushed up to 2018 you should be fine even if they produce zero M3's in 2017.

Even if you save $3,750 on your taxes you are going to lose more than that on the MS resale and taxes.

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

11. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Not a clue. Being a Tesla owner and living in CA will bump you to the top of the list--the only other thing you could do is to to work for Tesla or SpaceX. After that, its really going to depend on their ramp.