Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Tesla Energy Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you're not going to convince any of us you know... but it's fun watching you try :D

anyhoo... @gangzoom ... I notice you have the Google tap to translate icon pop up there when you look at your powerwall settings. So do I. Any idea why it seems to copy some text when we do that?

you're not going to convince any of us you know... but it's fun watching you try :D

anyhoo... @gangzoom ... I notice you have the Google tap to translate icon pop up there when you look at your powerwall settings. So do I. Any idea why it seems to copy some text when we do that?

Copies the serial number for some reason. I just ignore it now!

First full month on having it, amazing how quickly you get use to it, am sure at some point in the future every home will have one just like how we all have flushing toilets.

Watching the 'Crown' currenly, amazing to think when the Queen was the same age as our daughter WWII hadn't happened yet, computers didn't exist, but the motor car looked sadly very familiar.

Thank god Tesla is here to move us away from the outdated tech we are using for personal transportation, and things like the PW really are a glimpse into whats possible in the future!

Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one. Has anyone signed up for this? It appears I qualify (I have solar, a Tesla and a TWC) and they will install the Powerwall. Our household consumes a lot of electricity and I am very tempted to go forward with this, but wanted to see if anyone had actual experience with this Tesla Energy Plan?

Reactions: CMc1
I'm interested in trying this plan but can't get an answer on what happens to your export payments if its not for you and you either switch tariff back of leave Octopus? Do they allow you to opt back in to your old export seeing it no longer exists?

I'm interested in trying this plan but can't get an answer on what happens to your export payments if its not for you and you either switch tariff back of leave Octopus? Do they allow you to opt back in to your old export seeing it no longer exists?
Tesla has not yet installed my Powerwall, so I am at the beginning of the process, but that is one of my questions for Octopus as well. I am assuming that once opted out of the export payment on the 50% deemed export it will not be possible to opt back in. But I was hopeful someone here may have already signed up for this plan or considered it and could give their experience (good and/or bad).

I have done a lot of research on this. Just had a 7KW solar installation fitted. Waiting for my Powerwall. Have already switched to Agile. Huge saving already over past 2 weeks even though I still need paperwork to get an outgoing (export) tariff from Octopus. I am currently averaging 5.35p/Kwh. After dumping surplus energy to my hot water tanks (saving on gas) I am still exporting about 10-15KwH per day to the grid (at the moment FREE but in future at a minimum of 5.5p/KwH)). My PW will allow me to import more when tariffs are negative, avoid the 16.00- 19.00 expensive window and export on Agile Outgoing at the most beneficial times of day. Under Tesla Energy Plan they are going to take control of your Powerwall and charge you an expensive 8p in or out for the privilege. No brainer if you have a PW Agile is the way to go.
I appreciate that early adopters should stay with their FIT but if I were them I would still go with Agile.

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
I appreciate that early adopters should stay with their FIT but if I were them I would still go with Agile.

Our FIT pays 15p per kWh generated (increasing with inflation) for the next 15 years, in addition there is 4.3p per kWh for 50% assumed export, so averages out as 17p per kWh generated even though we are using pretty much every kWh the panels are out putting. Are you saying Agile pays you more than that per kWh of solar PV generated?

Agile does seem very good at the moment anyways without solar PV or PW, but our electricity bill last months was £2.70 for consumed electricity, so am not rushing to get a smart meter fitted yet as even a 50% saving on the current electricity bill really is loss change!

Our FIT pays 15p per kWh generated (increasing with inflation) for the next 15 years, in addition there is 4.3p per kWh for 50% assumed export, so averages out as 17p per kWh generated even though we are using pretty much every kWh the panels are out putting. Are you saying Agile pays you more than that per kWh of solar PV generated?

Agile does seem very good at the moment anyways without solar PV or PW, but our electricity bill last months was £2.70 for consumed electricity, so am not rushing to get a smart meter fitted yet as even a 50% saving on the current electricity bill really is loss change!
No, nothing will beat FIT. Good for you for being an early adopter! Wish I was. But for me and others adopting now and not having the benefit of FIT, there is absolutely nothing to beat Agile.
Although the rate varies all day you can leave it just avoid the 16.00 to 19.00 period. All my solar faces directly South and it would help to have a few panels on our West roof so generation would cover that period totally at this time of year. However when my Powerwall comes it will deal with that.
The 3 days last weekend was wicked...filled my boots. Biggest problem is finding enough to use up the energy. Most I could use was about 45KwH per day in the periods when they were paying me!

Moderator comment - 'Octopus Tesla tarrif' merged (along with replies) into main thread

Octopus Tesla energy plan, we have a PW, MX and P3D with 5kw solar apparently it's not available in my area, anyone know what areas are covered?

Octopus Energy

Unfortunately, Tesla Energy Plan isn't currently available in your area

Last edited by a moderator: