TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Introducing the Frozen Grey Tesla with shadowline trim

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by garcilamd, Jul 13, 2013.

1. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

#1 garcilamd, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Well, here is the finished product. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The wrap has slightly different characteristics during the day and night and in different types of light. Overall, I was looking for a modified stock appearance. This is one of the reasons why I opted to keep the nose cone black. The Tesla designers designed an absolutely beautiful car so I decided to preserve the overall aesthetics of the car and maintain the black of the nose. If you are considering some modifications but don't want to do a full wrap, I do highly recommend blacking out the chrome and tinting the windows. This is a very inexpensive option (typically less than $500) total and really enhances the look while keeping the initial spirit intact. I did plan to also powdercoat the wheels either a gloss black or dark grey. I think they actually look pretty good as is so may save my money. We'll see but I do appreciate any input.

This is the previous thread that shows some of the progress pics:
    Preview of my Model S wrap

Here is a list of the modifications:
    Frozen Grey Matte full body wrap, including the small blinkers in front of the doors
    Gloss black on all the chrome except the "T" logos in the front and back
    Black tint 20% all around

Overall I wanted to be subtle but unique without going over the top and I am happy with the results. Please enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Park2670

Park2670 Member

3. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

I like it. As long as you like, that's all that matters.

4. Tacket

Tacket Member

This is one of the better looking wrap colors I've ever seen. Nicely done! No one ever posts pics with the door/hatch open. I'm curious to see what the transition looks like from wrapped to unwrapped parts. Would you mind posting?

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Looks great. That's the shade of gray I wish Tesla had offered to start.

That matte film really accentuates the creases in the body work. Looks cool. Different, but subtle. Nicely done.

6. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

As I said in the other thread. This is awesome and brings a smile to my face.

As a very far aside, your wrapping of the handles got me thinking that perhaps using wrap INSIDE the handles as well (the part that is touched to open the door) to combat the very hot handles. perhaps having even a thin layer of wrap will prevent burns. I'm sure it'll still be quite hot, but perhaps enough to make a difference. (Sorry, not trying to threadjack, as I love what yo've done!)

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yep,I noticed that too. I like it all, though I think the crease might be a TAD much for me. I'd notice it and go mad

8. rjhoskins

rjhoskins Member

Stunning, nice job!!

9. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

I'll take some pics and post. There are both "good" and "bad" areas but I'll post both.

No problem. I haven't had the car long enough but I'm thinking that the wrap on the body itself will help to insulate and keep the handles cooler to the touch. The door handles on my car are actually just the front portion with a small edge folded over and cut cleanly in a straight line. I'll have the car in a hot parking lot Tuesday and I'll check it out.

10. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

Really nice! I like the all de-chromed look.

11. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

How long does the wrap stay good for? I'd imagine in the FL heat and humidity it will eventually come unwrapped.

12. highedu

highedu Member

How much did it cost ?

13. HHHH

HHHH Member

Get the grey 21's and call it a day! That's a wrap! (Pun intended)

14. logan

logan Member

This.

Your car looks great but it is SCREAMING for some larger, darker wheels!

15. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

The company had a July 4th special and it was about $2300 for the wrap. I think regularly around $2600 or $2700.

Probably around 4-5 years depending on where it is stored. I also think it depends on the material.

Yeah, agree. I'll probably get the wheels powdercoated black or dark grey in the next few weeks. New wheels are such a big expense and then I have to deal with the old set.

16. HHHH

HHHH Member

You can sell your 19's, and get the factory grey 21's for $3-4k depending on if you can find someone who is selling, or you can go aftermarket like those Ace Mesh 7 wheels for about the same price.

17. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Looks pretty darn good. I did read somewhere a while ago that the wraps tend to discolor. What is the warranty on something like this? How do you clean it?

18. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Anyone know how long a wrap job will last?

Did you do the jams etc. How does the trunk and frunk look when open?

19. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

Depending on how you maintain, the guy who did mine said about 4 years. I'll take pics of the frunk and trunk open as well as the door jambs. Only the rear door jambs were done. My original car color was silver so the original color areas that are exposed don't stand out. There is some bubbling in the rear door jambs that they will have to repair but they told me to expect that initially but they will repair as part of the initial job. I have a followup after about one week.

20. HHHH

HHHH Member

Superb job with this car. I'd love to see it with Grey 21" turbines.