Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Introducing the Official TMC Native iOS and Android Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are pleased to announce the availability of our official native iOS and Android apps.

IMG_1602.PNG

(Above is a showcase of some requested features, easy to access on any of our feeds!)

You can download the app by tapping/clicking on the icon of your device's app store below:

app-store-png-logo-fixed.png
play-store-logo-fixed.png

The app is free to download, though you can support the site and remove ads by becoming a Supporting Member by upgrading your account in the app (or on the website).

We have worked hard on the app, so please do be kind to us if you decide to leave us a review. Please do keep in mind that we will be continuing to improve the performance and functionality of the app with future updates.

Some may prefer using our web app/website, and that is perfectly fine. The app provides most major functions of the website, but not all, as many power users may prefer to continue using the website through their browser, especially via the Progressive Web App (PWA) which is available for Android users. However, we hope that those who do appreciate native apps will like it.

I will be adding a section to our Website Tutorial page shortly to cover app-related functions.

Please note: The app has actually been available for download for some time now, however, we had some improvements that we wanted to make before making an official announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the app and progress with TMC!

Full transparency on my end, my iPad Pro 12.9 had 3 full horizontal rows of ads on screen at once. I typically can't handle one row/active ad without some cringe so I dont think it will last as an alternative to the browser for me.

Question: once I signed in, there was a message asking do I authorize my user ID to be used with this app to auto login (sorry, can't remember exact wording)...was this the app or IOS confirming this step? Seemed unfmailair, so guessing it was native to the app.

Congrats on the app and progress with TMC!

Full transparency on my end, my iPad Pro 12.9 had 3 full horizontal rows of ads on screen at once. I typically can't handle one row/active ad without some cringe so I dont think it will last as an alternative to the browser for me.

Question: once I signed in, there was a message asking do I authorize my user ID to be used with this app to auto login (sorry, can't remember exact wording)...was this the app or IOS confirming this step? Seemed unfmailair, so guessing it was native to the app.
Thanks.

For the issue with the ads, can you please take a screenshot and share it with us? We do go heavier with the ads on the app (in order to cover costs), but we also don't want to be making you cringe, so we would definteily be willing to take a look and possibly improve it in a future update release. I will admit that the app is primarily designed for phones over tablets, so we may have overlooked certain things for iPads. (FYI we do remove ads for Supporting Members which starts at $40/year if purchased through the webapp/website.)

Regarding the sign in process, the way it works is that the Native App basically asks you to provide permission for it to access your account on TMC (the website). This is normal.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
Thanks.

For the issue with the ads, can you please take a screenshot and share it with us? We do go heavier with the ads on the app (in order to cover costs), but we also don't want to be making you cringe, so we would definteily be willing to take a look and possibly improve it in a future update release. I will admit that the app is primarily designed for phones over tablets, so we may have overlooked certain things for iPads. (FYI we do remove ads for Supporting Members which starts at $40/year if purchased through the webapp/website.)

Regarding the sign in process, the way it works is that the Native App basically asks you to provide permission for it to access your account on TMC (the website). This is normal.
So I guess I was scrolling (rounding up), counting 3 consecutive. It is 2 on screen but if you scroll up slightly, you will see the bottom of the top and new one coming up from bottom...or say scroll up 1/8th inch or so and there's another one.

Appreciate you investigating any way it shakes out. This (local) ad wasnt so bad, the other was 2-3 jackpot ads, many spinning/flashing lights :)

Attachments

• TMC App.jpg
    TMC App.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 380
So I guess I was scrolling (rounding up), counting 3 consecutive. It is 2 on screen but if you scroll up slightly, you will see the bottom of the top and new one coming up from bottom...or say scroll up 1/8th inch or so and there's another one.

Appreciate you investigating any way it shakes out.
OK and this is happening on other pages as well, or just the Forum List page?

Reactions: digitaldad
OK and this is happening on other pages as well, or just the Forum List page?
Blog = 1 ad on screen at a time
Hot = 1 ad on screen at a time
New = 2 ads on screen at a time (same as forum list)
Questions = 1 ad on screen at a time
Forum list = 2 ads on screen at a time
Any sub-forum = 2 ads on screen at a time (same as forum list)
Any thread = one ad up top, none seen while scrolling down

Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: danny
Great thanks, that is very helpful. Yeah, I think what happened here is primarily to do with the fact that on an iPad more content can be fit on the screen at a time, which means more ads as well.

Basically Feeds being viewed in "List" view as opposed to "Card" view will have ads closer together since each list item is shorter. You can switch between Card and List view for a given feed by the way. Anyway, we will take this into account fo rfuture releases. Thanks.

I may have found out something else last night, might need to recreate it again if asked but something along the lines of:

If you first open the app and click on one of the alerts taking you to that thread/message, (IIRC there is no back button) then click to get to main forum list, go in a thread and click the back button, it was taking me back to the message from the alert (not the forum list). I ended up fully closing the app then coming back in and selecting forum list, then thread, hitting back to forum list was fine.

Agree with other poster that asked is there a setting to enter main or sub forum list? If not, please add to requests.

Wow you want to collect a lot of personal data
Why?

From the App store

Data Linked to You​

The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:

• Purchases
  • Financial Info
  • User Content
  • Identifiers
  • Other Data
This is all pretty standard stuff. Here is an explanation of what some of these things can be:
  • Purchases: This is simply that it is recorded when and if you make an in-app purchase, and that purchase is associated with your account.
  • Financial Info: When you make an in-app purchase, your financial details are used to charge you by Apple, Google Play or PayPal. We at TMC do not get access to your financial information.
  • Location: We ask this for a general description of location during registration to the website. It is meant to be a general (non-specific) description of where you are located, such as city, state, or country.
  • Contact Info: When you register an account on TMC, you use an email address to register, which is a type of contact info. This is pretty normal for the vast majority of accounts that one creates on the internet.
  • User Content: When you post on TMC, you are posting "User Content", which is associated with your account.
  • Identifiers: I believe Identifiers are random numbers assigned to devices by Google for the purpose of tracking the number of times that device has been shown certain ads. I believe this is completely normal and ubiquitous on websites and apps using ad server networks.
  • Other Data: Other data that you share that are associated with your account, for example if you include a social media link in your profile.

Is it possible to set a default subforum? I am only interested in one country related subform under Europa. So I want that subforum as default. When I start the app, I want to see this subforum directly.

Thanks!
The best solution for this is probably to set the "New" feed as your default feed, and then to set the filtration options for that feed to only show threads from the subforum that is of interest to you, and then hit save. Then, when you hit the Community tab in the navigation, it should take you back to that feed with those options/filters configured.

Let me see if I can think of any other alternatives to this.

If you first open the app and click on one of the alerts taking you to that thread/message, (IIRC there is no back button) then click to get to main forum list, go in a thread and click the back button, it was taking me back to the message from the alert (not the forum list). I ended up fully closing the app then coming back in and selecting forum list, then thread, hitting back to forum list was fine.
Let me try to reproduce this on my end so I can better understand what may be happening here. One thing you may want to try is turning on the "Thread Preview" option in the app settings. This turns on native view for when you view threads. We have this off for now by default as there was some issues rendering a very small number of our threads in native view (AKA Thread Preview), however it shouldn't create issues in the vast majority of threads. We intend to turn this on by default in future releases once all issues are fixed.

Agree with other poster that asked is there a setting to enter main or sub forum list? If not, please add to requests.
I address this above.

Deal breaker for me.
I have explained this already, but we (TMC) do not collect anymore data when you use the app than when you use the website. If you have ever made a purchase on the App Store or Google Play, then you have provided them pretty much all this data (they are the ones that handle payments, not us (PayPal in the case of the website)). We do not get access to your exact location, nor do we have access to view your credit card number, your purchase history, or anything like that. Apple App Store and Google Play use this broad unspecific language to cover all bases.

If one is paranoid about these things, I totally understand and sympathize with that, but then one should not be using Google or Apple services, or quite frankly visiting many (if not, most) websites, to begin with.

I gave this a try, but sadly uninstalled (Android). Maybe I didn't try hard enough with the many options (there are lots!), but I was getting so many notifications (even though I thought I turned them off) that it was a problem. How about a simple 'no notifications at all' option? If I missed it, I apologise.

Also, ads in the middle of the 'feed' was an issue for me - 8 in the main feed, and all for the same thing...

I'll give it another try later when I have more time to see if I can quieten it down (and when you've reduced the ads).

However, congrats on the efforts - things like this are hard and you can't please everyone!

Reactions: drdumont