Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Introducing tripography.com - Track your Road Trips and Daily Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm back home after a nice relaxing vacation in Hawaii. :)

While I was gone, tripography has amassed 70+ invite requests, so I have quite a backlog to work through over the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to hit 100 vehicles before TESLIVE, so there are probably only 15 or so slots still available. So please request an invite if you are interested.

While I was away a few vehicles had occasional or recurring errors attempting to obtain data from the vehicle. So if your vehicle is missing data, that is most likely the cause. I still need to investigate the causes further, but Tesla's servers seem to get overwhelmed at certain times of the day. I may have to adjust my reading schedule and error handling accordingly to accommodate.

I'll be doing a few minor site updates over the next couple of days and then the next batch of invites should start going out shortly thereafter.

Thanks for your patience.

Been checking my page every day! Loving it!

Glad you had a relaxing vacation! Can't wait to meet you at Teslive!

Aaron

A quick update.

I've sent out a large number of invites over the past 24 hours. If you have requested an invite prior to June 18 or PMed me, you should have received one. You may want to check your email spam filter if you did not receive one and should have. The remaining invites should go out over the course of the weekend, so if you signed up after June 18th, keep an eye out for one.

During this beta period, I'm limiting the number of vehicles to 100. Based on the number of invitation requests and current active accounts, I have less than 10 slots available, assuming everyone signs up. So please request an invite ASAP if you would like to be included, as I expect all slots will be filled in the next few days at the current rate.

You have to read the disclaimer. Paraphrasing: "they don't store your username or password on their servers but encrypt them...and these credentials expire every six months" (from memory).
How else can they track your car?

Sorry, but I only have a disclaimers word that username and password are stored encrypted.
Only TM is getting those credentials.
Or wife ... if I were married. :)
I seriously cannot believe people are this trusting!

I agree that signing up for this requires at least a tiny leap of faith. But I decided everything sounded legit and George/PureAmps had others in the community vouch for him so I took the plunge. And I've found the results quite interesting and informative.

I admit it is a little scary to give out login credentials that could allow someone to track your movements and/or honk your horn at 3 in the morning. But I have yet to hear any 3 am horn honking, the location data is not publicly available, and this effort seems much more likely to be exactly as described than some crazy scheme to make money by selling your location data to the highest bidder. The benefits outweighed the risks for me. Your mileage may vary.

I agree that signing up for this requires at least a tiny leap of faith. But I decided everything sounded legit and George/PureAmps had others in the community vouch for him so I took the plunge. And I've found the results quite interesting and informative.

I admit it is a little scary to give out login credentials that could allow someone to track your movements and/or honk your horn at 3 in the morning. But I have yet to hear any 3 am horn honking, the location data is not publicly available, and this effort seems much more likely to be exactly as described than some crazy scheme to make money by selling your location data to the highest bidder. The benefits outweighed the risks for me. Your mileage may vary.
Totally agree. I can't even get my wife interested in my location data, so it's obviously not of any interest.:smile:

Not sure I understand this ... I got the invite ... but it requires me to register my TM account and password on their site. Am I right?
Something I am missing?
Do other feel uncomfortable about this?

This has already been beaten to death in this thread. I wish Tesla had a way to provide this data without sharing your TM account info, but they don't currently. If you're not comfortable providing your TM credentials, then don't use the site. It's pretty simple.

I seriously cannot believe people are this trusting!

Tripography is currently tracking 57 vehicles and adding several new vehicles per day, so clearly quite a few people are willing to place some trust and faith in the service (and myself, I suppose).

Thanks for the support and I'm glad you are finding the site valuable. And don't worry, you horn will never honk at 3am. It is designed to only honk at 2am. ;) But seriously, no code exists on the site to send a honk command (or any other similar command) to your vehicle. The use of location data is very clearly outlined in the site's privacy policy (Tripography Privacy Policy).

Totally agree. I can't even get my wife interested in my location data, so it's obviously not of any interest.:smile:

Thanks for your support as well napabill. And I agree, location data is of very limited interest, and that is why it is used sparingly to support certain features of the site.

I'm starting to add some aggregates vehicle stats on tripography's home page. As I add more vehicles I will continue adding more stats. But here is the distribution of all daily driving distances for all vehicles so far (currently 65 vehicles being tracked). Lots of road trips of 200+ miles per day!

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 2.11.54 PM.png

The sample size is still fairly small, but I think it is interesting none the less.

I'll be at TESLIVE this weekend. I would love to meet up with anybody who is using tripography and hear any feedback or suggestions for the site. To make it easy to find me, I'll be wearing a red t-shirt that says "tripography" on it. :)

PureAmps,

Did you manage to implement the "road trip" mode? I'm taking a trip in mid august and would be interested in logging the driving and charging stats (and not savvy enough to do it on my home computer). Thanks for this interesting stuff!

PureAmps,

Did you manage to implement the "road trip" mode? I'm taking a trip in mid august and would be interested in logging the driving and charging stats (and not savvy enough to do it on my home computer). Thanks for this interesting stuff!

Having this thread bumped to the top reminds me that I should share my current tripography stats since I went on two road trips the past two weekends: wraithnot on Tripography
The two largest spikes are driving to and from Las Vegas. The smaller spikes are driving to LA along interstate 5 and then driving back along the 101 with an overnight stop in Paso Robles.

And if PureAmps doesn't get road trip enabled in time for your trip, I found logging the data myself to be surprisingly easy (at least if you have a Mac). You can find instructions here: 1,100 mile road trip to Las Vegas and back with a REST datalogger All you have to do is follow the instructions to install Han's software, create a two-line text file, and type a single command on the terminal (the terminal is in the applications/utilities folder if I remember correctly). If you want to give it a shot, I can share my super simple python script I used to parse the resulting text file.