Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Introduction, and Solar PV recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! I wanted to pop in and say Hi, I have been lurking on TMC for about a year now and finally decided to sign up as we will be ordering a Model X sometime early next year.

We are also looking at getting Solar PV panels for our house, and I was hoping to get some recommendations on installers in Central Florida. Costs seem to run around $3 per watt around here, but examples of actual installed systems would be most welcome, along with any things to watch out for or other lessons learned. I think at this point the only rebate available is the Federal Tax Credit. We will most likely need to finance the system, so recommendations on that front are welcome too.

Our utility is FPL, so we should have standard net metering. We would like to get to net zero, but according to pvwatts we would be looking at a monstrous 24 kW system (2578 kWh average monthly usage, add 1000 miles per month on the Tesla). Our usage may appear a bit high as we both work from home. We have not done any energy efficiency improvements yet beyond gradually switching to LED bulbs, so there is some wiggle room there.

We will most likely be limited by roof space/configuration, as we have a fairly complex looking multifaceted roof. The asphalt shingle roof is 12 years old, and looks fine to my untrained eye.

Thanks in advance for any input!

My 10kW system was installed earlier this ear by Solar Ray, based in Orlando. The panels are split with some on the south face and some on the west face of the roof. They specified two 5kW SunnyBoy inverters, but I upgraded them to 6kW to allow for more panels later. Total cost was $24,800 and that was inflated slightly by the 90 mile drive from Orlando to Land O Lakes. I am happy with the work and would recommend them.

Solar Ray, inc. In Orlando, Fl

MileyHall PV System Profile

Thanks Rick, I contacted them and I already have an estimate, right in line with what you paid. As I feared, my roof shape and orientation seem to be the limiting factor and they quoted me a 5.4 kW system initially. They will talk it over internally, hopefully they can squeeze a few more panels up there.