Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Introduction & Made the Decision: Step one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here it goes, I am 39 year old Teacher, with a family of five. With my beautiful wife we have 3 daughters at the ages of 8yrs, 6yrs & 5 yrs. Being a technology teacher, I have literally been following Tesla from the beginning. I always wanted the roadster, then the Model S, X but I am torn on the 3. After all I am a teacher, ( just so you know I don't make a ton of money:) ) and our Family was starting to grow at the point. Then to top it off our family has suffered some financial hardships, that were out of our control. Our youngest daughter Anniken, was born early with Hypoplasia of the lungs and Chronic Kidney Disease. To make a depressing story short She came home 4 time and was med flighted(sp) to all those times, then she received a trach (tracheostomy tube) and 4 and half years she got better. She is not perfect, but darn good. No more trach. Hope I didn't depress anyone, just giving background on why a tesla was impossible.
So after one car for five years, Fusion Energi for the last two we want( needed) a second car. I did not have to convince my wife electric was the way to go, so we saw a Nissan Leaf for cheap. With a new job last year, it help us get to a point where a pre owned Tesla is doable in a Year or so. So I (we) are starting to research about features, performance and other experiences (and I drool staring at Tesla.com).
So, I tried to give a bit of history about my family and me, not to make you feel sorry for us but to show we are very humble people who care about the environment. People have fought through tough times, and don't look fro admiration.
Alrighty then a question for you.. for those who made it this far.
Have you had experience with a pre owned purchase fromTesla? What was it like? Like or Dislikes and any advice.

Thanks for your time, I am sorry if I offended anyone by asking an already asked question kindly point my to the feed.
Robby

Reactions: ModelX
How do I put this .. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't do it.

I don't want to be a Suze Orman, but, life is about risk management. You've had a tumultuous time, and the reprieve you have, is a gift from God to build your family's savings and strength. This reprieve is not to buy a fancy car. I remember reading the below incredibly true adage about life from some very intelligent person,

"Life is like a computer game, it keeps getting harder and then you die."
- Sir Guacamolaf

My reasons of discouraging you from buying a CPO Model S,

• 1. CPOs do not have the best track record (see this or this or more .. just search), reliability viz especially. Life is about risk management, and the risk of a CPO Model S pinching your pocket unexpectedly and harder are higher than a new Ford Fusion/Prius or Leaf. You could get lucky of course.
  • 2. The ownership cost of a CPO is no lesser than the ownership cost of a new Model S. Which is, almost nothing unless,
    • The warranty expires (can't buy extended warranty on CPOs)
    • You get into an accident (finite probability)
    • You need the annual maintenance .. (which you will)
    • You get 21" wheels (in your control not to do).

.. Think of Tesla's ownership costs as slightly lesser than an equally priced car, but still pricey compared to an econobox.

Finally, cars are money pits. And especially with Model S, you are paying for latest technology, The problem with technology, it depreciates fast as new technology shows up. When Bolt/Model 3/other EVs hit the market (3-5 years), the current gen Model S will look ancient. And you'll be able to get an electric car in 3-5 years for a reasonable price.

I am really sorry to puncture your enthusiasm, and I know it'll be hard not to drool every time a Model S passes by.

But you could still make a difference to the environment, consider a Hyrid + Leaf combination. For the same # of $, you'll remove more CO2 from the atmosphere than with a single Model S. And I suspect, having 2 cars is kinda nice too. Sure you'll still buy gas, but you'll buy much lesser gas.

Anyway, on this forum, I am pretty sure I am in the minority in discouraging you from this. It is a nice car, no doubt. Good luck with whatever you decide. Loads of Love from Sir G for your daughters.

Last edited: