Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Introduction - Newly minted Roadster owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... and replaced the iPhone connector with a lightning wire) --

Can you tell me more about this? I’m also a n00b owner (less than 3 weeks) with a 2.0 Roadster w/R80 upgrade. My car has the single DIN dash/radio with the 30-pin connector. I’d really love to swap it out for lightning, but haven’t yet dipped into figuring out how to remove the center tunnel/etc. Do you have a link to a thread that discusses this?

Can you tell me more about this? I’m also a n00b owner (less than 3 weeks) with a 2.0 Roadster w/R80 upgrade. My car has the single DIN dash/radio with the 30-pin connector. I’d really love to swap it out for lightning, but haven’t yet dipped into figuring out how to remove the center tunnel/etc. Do you have a link to a thread that discusses this?
I purchased a small adapter that has worked for me. No charging but audio.

• Helpful
Reactions: arijaycomet

It's a quick fix - takes 15 mins.

You remove the iPhone holder from the center console and behind it you'll see a silver screw with an Allen head. Take that out and the little plastic tray comes off. Underneath you trace back the wire with the 30 pin connector and it plugs into a USB and a 3.5mm audio connector. You call simply plug a lightning USB cable into the USB connector and ignore the audio connector. Works like a charm with my iPhone 7.

And it does charge.

Let me know if you need a photo

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I bought one for Christmas for my wife, only to discover that they are now out of business. I couldn't get the installation instructions online. I returned it.

Ok, so you were unable to get the Navdy to work?

I was able to get mapping to work on the opened firmware on my Buick in May.
It's a quick fix - takes 15 mins.

You remove the iPhone holder from the center console and behind it you'll see a silver screw with an Allen head. Take that out and the little plastic tray comes off. Underneath you trace back the wire with the 30 pin connector and it plugs into a USB and a 3.5mm audio connector. You call simply plug a lightning USB cable into the USB connector and ignore the audio connector. Works like a charm with my iPhone 7.

And it does charge.

Let me know if you need a photo

A photo would be Great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I just bought a Hudly Classic with obd2 connection: Shop the Classic Head-Up Display

It should arrive tomorrow. I'll update when I get around to installing it (I also have an OVMS 3 on order - so getting it all set up will be a major undertaking)
The Roadster's OBD2 port doesn't do much of anything - only has power (when the car is awake). Rumor is that it's present only because there was a requirement at the time that any new car had to have one. It will not drive a HUD or any other OBDII device that expects to talk to a car's ECU.

BUT, the OVMSv3 can! Be sure to get the adapter cable: $14.50 OVMS V3 HUD / OBD II-F Cable - 12cm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping.

Getting everything set up isn't so bad. If you get stuck, just ask.

The Roadster's OBD2 port doesn't do much of anything - only has power (when the car is awake). Rumor is that it's present only because there was a requirement at the time that any new car had to have one. It will not drive a HUD or any other OBDII device that expects to talk to a car's ECU.

BUT, the OVMSv3 can! Be sure to get the adapter cable: $14.50 OVMS V3 HUD / OBD II-F Cable - 12cm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping.

Getting everything set up isn't so bad. If you get stuck, just ask.

Yes - that's exactly my plan! The OVMS and cable should arrive today. I also read up on the OVMS ability to map odb2 messages to all sorts of parameters. Looking forward to playing with it!

I used to be pretty handy with this sort of thing (I have a Linux server running at linode and I have a WD mybook with a Debian Lenny based firm ware that I used to run as a bit torrent client and airprint server) so hopefully I can figure it all out :)

Reactions: gregd
I purchased a small adapter that has worked for me. No charging but audio.
Ahh okay... yeah I got the 30-pin to lighting adapter too. And have the same pros/cons—- works for audio, but doesnt charge. Thought maybe you had routed a new wire all the way to the radio and it added charging. Guess not— boo! Thanks for the speedy reply :)
The problem and solution may depend upon which audio system is installed. I have a 1.5 with the JVC KD-NX5000 plus its KS-PD100 iPod adapter that were Tesla's original premium entertainment package. That adapter has a 30-pin iPod connector on the end of a cable that is hardwired to the adapter -- there is no USB connector in between. The charging available through that connector was Apple's older 12V FireWire charging method that the first few generations of iPhones used, such as the iPhone 3G. When I upgraded to an iPhone 4S, which still used the 30-pin connector but changed to the 5V USB charging method, charging in the car no longer worked. I purchased a CableJive dockStubz+ which is a little 30-pin female to 30-pin male adapter module that converts from 12V to 5V charging. That restored charging in my iPhone 4S. Subsequently I upgraded to an iPhone 6, so I purchased Apple's adapter cable from 30-pin to Lightning which allowed charging and audio to work. Still works with my current iPhone 7.