Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Introductory post and roadster questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Roadster, the front TPMS sensors and antenna were replaced in March 2015 and the rear sensors were replaced in July 2016. Apparently the system was working during the full service in September 2017. I will try to get a full download of the battery info this week but I will need some help with the parser etc.

@hsull8915 I followed the demise of your PEM with dismay, it must have been very disappointing. I am resigned to having to replace the PEM at some point in the next couple of years, I just hope to get by the first year.

@hcsharp Roadster 1038 was acquired at the end of 2011 and stayed in the NYC area until mid 2013 when the car moved to California but stayed with the same family. Hopefully the snow dam and the fans with the single motor were installed. We shall see. I will PM you re. acquisition of the "cans"

Once again - thank you all for the insight, this feels like a risky venture but the Roadster seems like the right car for me. I just hope Tesla continues to provide support. I have owned "out of production cars" but the aftermarket was available for parts and there were non-factory mechanics for problems that I could not handle. For the Roadster, I really have to count on Tesla's continued interest and good will...

Henry, you forgot to answer #4 ;)

I like to keep a little mystery around my posts. It adds intrigue.;)
Besides, it wasn't a question...

Once again - thank you all for the insight, this feels like a risky venture but the Roadster seems like the right car for me. I just hope Tesla continues to provide support. I have owned "out of production cars" but the aftermarket was available for parts and there were non-factory mechanics for problems that I could not handle. For the Roadster, I really have to count on Tesla's continued interest and good will...

It's not as big a risk as you think. People only post when they have problems. Any other car with similar performance is typically a lot more expensive to repair. @hsull8915 said it best - you understand what you're getting into. Believe me, it's worth it!

As for continuing support from Tesla, I don't think it will be as bad as some people think. At the moment at least a third of Tesla's BOD owns a Roadster. There is also strong support from a lot of other high-level decision makers even if it doesn't seem that way sometimes.

Heading to California to personally inspect 1038. No obvious problems in the service records. Will attempt to download battery logs. Will a 4 gig USB drive work? I have read that a 2 gig drive is recommended. Any suggestions for key things to look at?
I use a 4 gig drive; works fine. Remember to put VehicleLogs directory (case sensitive name) at the top level.

I recommend running VMSParser.exe with the -p option to see what sorts of errors have been logged. Decoder is here: Roadster | Tesla Motors Club

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Lightning green Roadster Sport #1038 arrived last week. Slowly figuring out how things work and what noises are normal. Has been a treat driving to work. Thank you all for the help. More pics to follow when I get some time....

Plycar transporter 1000px.jpg
Roadster charging with HSharp can 1000.jpg
Roadster in the Driveway.jpg
Roadster in the garage 1000.jpg
RoadsterInPlycar 1000.jpg
RoadsterRollingOut 1000.jpg

Last edited:
One noise that you should be aware of that is normal is the power brake vacuum pump. This noise threw me when I bought my roadster until another roadster owner told me what it was. Usually I hear it when I first start up the car and back out of my driveway. Every time you push the brake, the vacuum pump starts up to refill the vacuum chamber and makes a small "rrrrrrmp" sound. Apparently all roadsters make this sound and even the first model S cars do it. I've heard that after early S production, they switched to an electro-mechanical power assist.

Your car is gorgeous and enjoy it! Make every excuse to drive somewhere.

Reactions: dhrivnak
noises are normal.
Yes.

Also creaks and rattles. These cars have a lot of personality, and they talk to you. You'll get acquainted with your car's particular language pretty quickly.

Besides the brake vacuum pump and the battery coolant recirculation pump, there's the whine of the motor and drive train which sounds like a cross between the Jetson's car and the Millennium Falcon. My car also creaks when backing out of our driveway (there's a twist in the surface), and even a small pothole makes you think the door panels are about to fall off (they won't).

Enjoy the chatter!

Thanks for the explanation @Carl W and @gregd, I forget that there is no ready source of vacuum without an ice. I am driving every chance I get and making the trip from Silver Spring to Baltimore on the days when I work there. New radio with Apple Carplay was a big improvement but is only useful below 40 mph given the tire noise. Will be looking for a set of cold weather tires and have been thinking about some Dynamat for the for the cockpit floor surfaces to attenuate the road noise but not sure if that will be worthwhile. Hopefully, more pictures tomorrow.

Reactions: DeedWest