Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intrusion detection worth it? Plus other topics of discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got my used AP1 (2016 April I believe) model S and super happy with it.

I’m looking at:

- MCU upgrade $1500
- new key fobs for enhanced security $330
- contemplating the $350 intrusion detection upgrade

I’ve gotten the quote for the first 2 items and already approved it, all through the app. I do wonder if the security items are worth it. The costs are piling up. I also have a laundry list of other little “issues” I want to make sure they also check for me while at the service center. Like the rattling coming from the center console that is a new development!

I’m pretty sure it’s worth it to get the stuff but I’d like some second opinions. I am aware that I won’t get as much of a benefit from the MCU upgrade as if this was a AP2 vehicle on MCU1, but… I have to say that having a more responsive navigation experience seems to be enough of a reason on its own… YouTube and Netflix are compelling as well but only like worth $300 to me, the screen being portrait tempers the excitement there.

I am also installing a VIOFO 4K dashcam and have already found and confirmed with a multimeter all the wires that I will tap into (12v permanent from mic panel and 12v ACC from rearview mirror to make it toggle parking mode) so I’ll be getting that set up after returning from the SC since there’s no need to set it up now only to dismantle it in a week.

I had a thought which was to get a 2nd set of the dual dash cams, and run it with 4K main cams facing front and back and put the “back” cameras pointed at the sides. I will need to try to work out if the power liftgate has an ACC wire, if so I can definitely do it. It’s a bit funny that with such a setup the biggest pain might be to figure out where to tuck the excess “rear” camera cable, the cable is a special one and splicing it is probably going to cause problems. And another thing that could hypothetically work is to have the screen on the dashcam on all the time displaying one of the side angles, that would potentially provide me with a working poor man‘s side camera to use on the right side: I can take care of the left-side blind spot with a well-chosen convex mirror setup.

While I’m hammering out a wall of text I might as well also ask: Does anyone have information on what all the wiring going to the rearview camera even does? I was thinking maybe it dims at night (like the side cameras supposedly do) but I tried unplugging it while driving and observed no difference, nor did the car seem to notice that it got unplugged. These mirrors all do have the little border going around the mirrors so I know they’re the fancy ones.

In the heat waves recently I noticed the cabin overheat apparently cracked open the passengerside rear window, I think (not 100% sure) which I was slightly surprised by as I expected it to just run the AC.

are you saying that if I get intrusion module installed that the overheat protection will be permanently disabled? What about dog mode?

Yeah i had since read some more topics about mysterious random window opening. I'll have to keep an eye on that but it does not seem to be a big problem so far. My Model S is currently in the Service Center for the MCU2 upgrade. Looking forward to having new life breathed into it. Probably if the window opening by itself issue is a software glitch this will have that taken care of.